Can I add an amp to Honda head unit (stereo) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1

Differential amplifiers have two output devices also, but they continuously drive in opposing polarities to each other, with what I'll call a "non-physical ground". "assumed ground" or "virtual ground" between them.

That perfectly describes the output of most car head unit amplifiers..and is why the speaker outputs are not to be grounded.

Bridge_amp.GIF

This is what the amplifier circuit in most headunits looks like. Note that the signal is fed into the inverting input of one amplifier and the non-inverting input of the other ampliifer, and the signal coming out of one amplifier is a mirror image of the other.

This will work with ANY class of amplifier.

Well, if that's the most common configuration, I stand corrected. I would not have thought so.

I was thinking you may've been confusing differential with complementary. Clearly you are not.

But, for example, my Yamaha RX-V1 schematic shows a classic complementary output stage where the NPN device is tied to a 46.8 volt rail and the PNP device is tied to a -46.8 volt rail. Both emitters drive the positive speaker terminal (and a negative feedback circuit), and the negative speaker terminal is capacitively coupled to ground (i.e. AC ground).

And it was definately not cheap (orig retail price $3200 US).

I'd include a jpeg of it if I knew how, LOL (too lazy to figure it out).

Too late to edit..but it makes sense they are differential..I think the following makes sense (mostly).

Ok, I think we're referring to CAR stereo amplifiers. Makes perfect sense to make them differential outputs since a lower voltage rail is required to produce higher power. Without a complicated power supply (but with enough capacitance to produce a -12 volt rail) you could achieve close to 24 volts p-p at the speaker terminals.

Ok, sorry for hijacking the thread. Hopefully this discussion is of interest to others.

Yes, this configuration allows ~20W per channel instead of the ~5W per channel that a single-ended output design would allow, with the same supply voltage.

It used to be that many stock car headunits and cheaper aftermarkets used the single-ended design.

It's not like that anymore..pretty much everything, stock or aftermarket, with very few exceptions uses the differential design for more output power at a relatively low additional cost (I guess maybe $2-$3, certainly much lower than going to the next step of using a step-up switching power supply to increase the ~12V to something higher).

There isn't much use for type of design in units designed for 120V wall power, although I am told that some very high power PA amps use this design too, probably again in lieu of a step-up power supply. (You might think they could use a step-up power transformer since it's AC, but the silicon may well be cheaper than a big transformer..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back