Aftermarket Radios

That’s a pretty good looking unit, but the backlight color is wrong…
According to this website, the blacklight color is white.

It's also obvious that you didn't bother looking at the 3 different models of the HU, where the midprice and high end ones have 32,000 colors for the backlight that you can choose from.

Last edited:
According to this website, the blacklight color is white.

It's also obvious that you didn't bother looking at the 3 different models of the HU, where the midprice and high end ones have 32,000 colors for the backlight that you can choose from.
It’s also obvious you have no idea about older MB vehicles because the photo that was posted was specifically wrong for MB cars (in that case looks like an r107 of the era).

I have no idea what backlight color Volvo uses because ive never owned one or driven one. I fully understand that this thread is about Volvo, but I was commenting on the photo.

So when the photo uses a Mercedes’, with a Grand Prix looking HU of which I own multiple actual Becker units that work perfectly, I’m very qualified to comment on the photo shown.

Since I’m not in the market, and the details aren’t stated plainly in the post, why would I click into various options of a headunit that I don’t need?

The photo was inaccurate for a MB of that era, which is what was in the photo. Very simple.

Last edited:
I have a JVC in the Safari. It's an older model with satellite controls, USB and AUX connections. A few take-aways I got from ownership is avoid anything that requires you to look at the display for extended periods of time in order to perform routine tasks. Lack of or minimal buttons is a big red flag.

After replacing the burned out mini-incandescent bulbs with LED's, I put the factory stereo back in.

I have traditionally been an alpine guy due to SQ and SQ-related tunability. However, I installed 6 of them in my own and in friend’s cars, and 3 lost their Bluetooth connectivity after 2 years. At that point i tried Kenwood. Granted, it’s only one, but the tunability features had caught up with alpine as well as mimicing dashboard lighting. As much as I’ve voted for alpine in the past, I’m going to lean towards kenwood here. Go through Crutchfield.com and they will include wiring and installation kits for your car.

I’m not worried too much about brand. I think it’s more about features. You would want BlueTooth to go hands free on your calls and also, stream your music to the car stereo. If you want satellite radio you can do that as well. I’ve done several radios from Crutchfield. The had a few connectors you had to solder with a half dozen wires and then it was plug and play. Never did I have to cut a wire on the car itself.

Currently, Kenwood and Alpine are top choices, followed by Pioneer.
Unfortunately, Calrion is not what it used to be.
The thing with Kenwood is hardware. Many aftermarket HU will have numerous options. But Kenwood has the strongest amplifier outputs in the business at 5V. When I was doing a major upgrade (actually, complete retrofit) of the audio system in my BMW, I went to Kenwood as only their HU could deliver such a strong signal with six independent channels for two amplifiers.
Connecting the antenna is not a big issue.

If you want to keep your "factory" look but get a head unit with some more features, AND if you can find them in good condition, I would lean toward the Blaupunkt units from around the mid 90's. The Codem III tuner pulled in FM radio stations sometimes from over 100 miles away. I kid you not. They looked basic, but were upgradeable, and sounded good for the money.
miami cd127.jpg

Back