Aftermarket Radios

Ok BITOG polymaths, looking for advice on replacing a factory original 31 year old radio in my '92 Volvo. I don't drive it much and I'm no audiophile even before losing hearing on the starboard side. I've looked over the options from Crutchfield and need a basic, reliable easy to install unit. I also will replace the four door mounted speakers. Additional requirement; Is it possible to keep the original and still functioning Hirschmann automatic rear mounted antenna compliant with a non-Volvo unit?

1696198492095.jpg

Many modern aftermarket car head units are menu driven and annoying to use. With plenty of features, that require consulting the owners manual to use.

I had an Alpine in my Honda S2000 that was so difficult to use, I gave up on it and never turned it on again.

Another vote for Kenwood. I would also recommend to buy used these days. Car audio got blasted by the covid shortages and prices are still inflated. Used quality head units are a dime a dozen and rarely fail.

I have a cheap pioneer in my 03 sierra and it's been pretty great in the 7 years its been installed. Go to an audio shop and have them do it. They should have universal inserts for the din and should have it done in an hour like with me.

Kenwood or JVC.

Installed a bunch in older Hondas, Nissans and Toyotas without any problems.

Looks stock and maintains all the factory Volvo radio features (antenna etc).
I have one too and it extends/retracts the power antenna as needed.
I was just going to suggest this.
OP, pretty much all aftermarket radios have an automatic antenna lead. Just check the user manual for the one you are considering, and it will show the layout of the connections on the back and their function. One will highlight the antenna trigger wire.

I’ve always gone JVC (for reasons mentioned above, like Kenwood), and picked the lower model that allowed color customization so I could match my existing dash. (That usually translates to lowest model in upper tier - if that makes sense).

Note: I have a late P80 Volvo and while the radio dash dimension is VERY close to DIN, it is not. Your car is likely the same; you may or may not need an install kit. Check that.

Looks stock and maintains all the factory Volvo radio features (antenna etc).
I have one too and it extends/retracts the power antenna as needed.
I bought one of these for my 1985 190d that has some horrible aftermarket head unit that is next to impossible to use.

I have t installed it yet but think it will be good.

In all my other classic vehicles I have original Becker, Chrysler, AC Delco, or BMW head units. Most every single other one looks like trash, imo.

There are a few no name Bluetooth and stereo only head units on Amazon that look ok. But this one linked above is more legit, imo.

Any aftermarket head unit should have an antenna power lead and/or a remote power on signal lead thst woukd work with an antenna.

Powered antennas are easy enough to integrate with when it comes to aftermarket radios. There's a turn on lead that the radio has for amplifiers that can be used to tell the antenna to extend for reception. It's definitely a per radio situation if it only does it when radio reception is needed. Any radio adapter harness should take this into consideration as long as the person installing it understands what is needed. I spent 10+ years in the industry and any installer that has basic knowledge of powered antennas should be able to handle this. I'd definitely ask to make sure that the powered antenna will work properly.

Back