CAFE Standards in the US and Oil Grades

I am not discovering this for first time. this is still not settled argument, people have different opinions about industry moving towards thinner oils. Opinions vary.
The industry moved towards 20 grade oils 20 years ago, it's nothing new. And everyone running around waving foreign owners manuals and yelling CAFE CAFE! for the last twenty years haven't changed a thing.

I have a huge stash of 0w20 - but my shelves started wearing out prematurely 😷
Were the shelves made in a foreign country? If so the owners manual would tell you to store oils of at least 30 grade on them because everyone knows the foreign manuals are much better than American manuals.

Last edited:
Yep and it’s very possible it is the same person coming back again and again under different stage names.
More like oil noobs showing up all the time and finding out stuff for the 1st time that's been known here for years.

The industry moved towards 20 grade oils 20 years ago, it's nothing new. And everyone running around waving foreign owners manuals and yelling CAFE CAFE! for the last twenty years haven't changed a thing.
That was American manual. I am using thicker oils than what’s recommended in the manual for some of my cars.

ACEA is a resistive movement in diversity and freedom, so much that we're following indicator A to the default oil (unless facing severe towing in greek or spanish summer). Imagine just following an easy to read indicator instead of holding your manual two different ways, one for all but then upside down to read Mexico first before hot and greasy hauling!

Screenshot 2021-01-02 002327.jpg

Manufacturers really could offer opting-out. Delete-options. Efficiency individualisation packages consisting of a thicker oil, a certificate and manual printing on demand. Or such with additional oil recommendations from blank lines at one's own disposal. Can see a small premium. Plus re-certification of course.

Last edited:
ACEA is a resistive movement in diversity and freedom, so much that we're following indicator A to the default oil (unless facing severe towing in greek or spanish summer). Imagine just following an easy to read indicator instead of holding your manual two different ways, one for all but then upside down to read Mexico first before hot and greasy hauling!

View attachment 39003

Manufacturers really could offer opting-out. Delete-options. Efficiency individualisation packages consisting of a thicker oil, a certificate and manual printing on demand. Or such with additional oil recommendations from blank lines at one's own disposal. Can see a small premium. Plus re-certification of course.
0W8!! 😯

Oil threads on forums always devolve into epic pissing matches...."my oil can beat up your oil" kinda thing.....no matter what forum you're on.

BITOG is just one giant oil thread of perpetually circling unadulterated diabolical nonsense

As long as there aren't separate comments on the 0, the W, the - and the 8 becoming the next big thing :)

It's the pure play in main battle tank use that bows to possible markets when running the 0W-30. Except for the japanese maybe.
Technically they could survive and stay behind on fifties and worse as we all know. In summer at least.

Last edited:
Back