Cadillac Style'n

Does anyone else miss the old Caddys . Below is a 1984 Cadillac Eldorado . Pure Class
Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 21-55-20 1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D' Elegance Cadillac fleetw...jpg

Does anyone else miss the old Caddys . Below is a 1984 Cadillac Eldorado . Pure Class
View attachment 203624
Pretty rare these days especially the non Biarritz. I had a 79, first year of that body style. It was a diesel converted into a 350 Olds. Gasser. Loved the no smog. Drove great. Body parts are probably worth big money to the right person. Even before cash for clunkers the prices were getting pretty high.

View attachment 203624
That would have had the 4.1L engine. The worst engine Cadillac ever put in a car. The aluminum block,cast iron heads didn't work well. The cylinder liners leaked coolant into the oil. The cams went flat and they ate the distributor drive gear off too. The water pump was a huge job. I hated working on those .

View attachment 203624

Does anyone miss the HT4100 or the 6.0L variable displacement 8-6-4? Or the plastic/fiberglass filler between the bumper and body that would crack if you looked at wrong?

I do give GM credit for the FWD Eldorado/Toronado/Riviera platform that drove and rode well. I preferred RWD, but the FWD cars weren't all bad.

Pretty rare these days especially the non Biarritz. I had a 79, first year of that body style. It was a diesel converted into a 350 Olds. Gasser. Loved the no smog. Drove great. Body parts are probably worth big money to the right person. Even before cash for clunkers the prices were getting pretty high.

My uncle drove a '84 Olds Tornado 5.7L Diesel for 15 or so years & 350,000 plus miles, He added a good Racor water separator & filter....Never had fuel system issues. It did need 4 sets of cylinders heads over it's lifetime & new injectors went in each time.
The 325-4L transaxle finally gave up & sent it to the crusher.

He bought a '98 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins ISB/47RE, Still has it today & because the VP44 injection pump & 47RE....You can't convince him it's any more reliable than his Oldsmobile ;)

That would have had the 4.1L engine. The worst engine Cadillac ever put in a car. The aluminum block,cast iron heads didn't work well. The cylinder liners leaked coolant into the oil. The cams went flat and they ate the distributor drive gear off too. The water pump was a huge job. I hated working on those .

The 4100 did evolve into the 4900 that was a pretty decent engine.

Not far from where I lived in Pa there was one of these by the side of the road in a yard or driveway. The owner wouldn't sell it.
View attachment 203633
Here is a small writeup on that.

The 75 Cadillac Eldorado convertible was one of my favorites. It was supposed to be the last year of the Caddy convertible however like many other cars they made other roadsters after 75. That long hood and huge interior was just plain gorgeous.

Back