CA vs Non-CA Catalytic Converter (and which brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have an '02 Lexus IS300 that the check engine light is finally on at 250,000 miles. Throwing a steady code (I'll find it and post it back up later) pointing to the cats. It's just the one code. My homeworks points to the code most likely being correct. I figure at this mileage, I'll replace the cats and all the O2's as well as a preventative measure; cost is not the limiting factor. Car runs fine, but fuel mileage is way down, so I figured these to be good steps. So...two questions...

-Any brand a fan favorite from RockAuto; Walker, Dorman, Eastern, etc?? I seem to find good reviews randomly for Eastern using a google search. Magnaflow is out of my price range, but PaceSetter has a direct fit manifold that's even cheaper than some of the RockAuto brands...anyone know how PaceSetter products are for converters??

-And finally (and most importantly for me), it's a CA car, but not physically in the state of CA, and not likely to ever return. Can I buy a lower price non-CA converter/manifold assembly and be OK as far as eliminating the CEL problem? Couldn't find anything much searching for this topic. The car is in MO where an inspection is required so the CEL has to go, but they'll never compare to ensure the car has a CA compliant converters as long as it has converters present. They obviously don't know and don't care that it's a CA car.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
As long as they bolt up you should be fine. On your car its not like the non CA units had test pipes in place of cats or no cat monitor sensors like in the 90s.

Pacesetter is low quality junk.

Walker and Eastern are both good brands. Walker has a 2-year/25k warranty, while Eastern has a 5y/50k warranty.

You may use a non-CA converter if they are physically the same. Sometimes, California emissions cars have physically different exhaust setups, and sometimes they are the same. If the non-California cat is physically the same size and fits right in, then you can use it with no problem.

You should also replace the oxygen sensors along with the new cat.

The 2 cats are part of the exhaust manifold, so you'll have to have them welded on unless it's a complete manifold assembly. If cost isn't a factor, I'd go OEM

If you have the 2.4 4 cyl the original programming is too sensitive and they have a reflash, so it is in fact not your cat. IDK if the V6 has the same issue or really what engine you have, so...?

I have a friend who put a spark plug anti-fouler in the rear o2 hole, and it keeps the light off.

I'd get a 49-state cat from rockauto if that's how you want to roll, though.

But where your mileage is down I'd do the o2s and see if that cures it before shotgunning more. The front o2 might be a wide-band and quite expensive.

OE cats are the most efficient flowing usually. 50 state are most efficient flowing, then it goes down from there.

Rock Auto will tell you what "49" state cat will fit a CA car when it's not going to be used in CA.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should post the code for the cats. Many times things like vacuum leaks, bad O2 sensors holes in the exhaust point to bad cats, but if you fix those problems, it goes away. OE cats last the longest, aftermarkets only have to last 25-50k because the EPA figures that by the time you have to replace them, the car probably won't last much longer beyond that anyway.

There's a code on your underhood emissions sticker that tells you exactly which catalytic converter to buy.

Mine looks like this:

YGMXV03.8044
YGMXR0133910

A MAGNAFLOW #45610 matches that code.

Walker and Eastern both make good cats, you want a CARB/NY cat, there is a big difference in quality and longevity usually for about $100 more.
In the salt belt the flanges on the non CARB Walker converters usually last 4-5 years and if your lucky fail under warranty while the Cal ones last much longer, the wash coat in the converter itself is heavier meaning it will do its job longer without throwing P420/430 codes.

For this car I would go with the Eastern CARB/NY cat, it cost more but in the end its going to be cheaper and a lot less aggravation.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you have the 2.4 4 cyl the original programming is too sensitive and they have a reflash, so it is in fact not your cat. IDK if the V6 has the same issue or really what engine you have, so...?

I have a friend who put a spark plug anti-fouler in the rear o2 hole, and it keeps the light off.

But where your mileage is down I'd do the o2s and see if that cures it before shotgunning more. The front o2 might be a wide-band and quite expensive.

I take it you're not familiar with the car in question. No 4 cyl nor V6 options for this car. The IS only has a straight 6 for this body style; or at least I know I have the straight 6.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
OE cats are the most efficient flowing usually. 50 state are most efficient flowing, then it goes down from there.

Not sure I undersand?? You say OE cats are the most efficient, and then you say 50 state are the most efficient? There is no 50 state cats for this car; there's CA and then 49 state. Sorry for not understanding what you're saying.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Rock Auto will tell you what "49" state cat will fit a CA car when it's not going to be used in CA.

I checked...for my application, I did not see anything on the site for these items referencing such. Just the obligatory "legal for use bla bla bla" statement.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
You should post the code for the cats. Many times things like vacuum leaks, bad O2 sensors holes in the exhaust point to bad cats, but if you fix those problems, it goes away. OE cats last the longest, aftermarkets only have to last 25-50k because the EPA figures that by the time you have to replace them, the car probably won't last much longer beyond that anyway.

Code is P0430, not 0420. Had it pulled a few different times. Have done research on the IS forums and got some good feedback. I know 0420 can be other things, but had a couple credible sources tell me that 80+% of the time, a 0430 is actually a bad cat. Also further supported by the mileage and loss of mpg on the car.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Walker and Eastern both make good cats, you want a CARB/NY cat, there is a big difference in quality and longevity usually for about $100 more.
In the salt belt the flanges on the non CARB Walker converters usually last 4-5 years and if your lucky fail under warranty while the Cal ones last much longer, the wash coat in the converter itself is heavier meaning it will do its job longer without throwing P420/430 codes.

For this car I would go with the Eastern CARB/NY cat, it cost more but in the end its going to be cheaper and a lot less aggravation.

For a full disclosure, my only concern is that the cat turns off the CEL. I don't care about efficiency or longevity as it's technically not my car. Just trying to help out the ex. But I see what you're saying and the $100 may be worth the peace of mind. Here's my concern as mentioned earlier (and I hope this is an educated question that I'm wording properly)...

My concern is that the ECU may be calibrated in such a way that it would know the difference between a CA cat and a 49 state cat based off O2 readings and thus a 49 state cat not fix it (i.e. turn out the CEL). I can't find any profound support to determine one way or the other.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: galaxy
My concern is that the ECU may be calibrated in such a way that it would know the difference between a CA cat and a 49 state cat based off O2 readings and thus a 49 state cat not fix it (i.e. turn out the CEL). I can't find any profound support to determine one way or the other.

It will not.

However, it will know the difference between a working cat and a non-working cat, which it finds out through the oxygen sensors. The downstream oxygen sensor, located after the cat, is what tells the computer whether the cat works. As long as they are physically the same (Fed and Cali), you will have no problem using the Federal cat
smile.gif

Use the Eastern or Walker cat, along with Denso or NGK/NTK oxygen sensors.

Originally Posted By: galaxy
Originally Posted By: eljefino

I take it you're not familiar with the car in question. No 4 cyl nor V6 options for this car. The IS only has a straight 6 for this body style; or at least I know I have the straight 6.

You're right, I'm not. The ES300 is the camry clone, I guess.

Posters really ought to put their engine info in.

But, Toyota did have back in 2002 an overly sensitive catalyst monitor in *one* model.

The threshold may be higher on the CARB model e.g 95% instead of 92% before it throws a code so yes its possible the ECM will throw a code sooner with a Fed spec cat.

CARB Standard

Last edited:
FWIW, aftermarket cats don't flow nowhere near OEM, and say all you want about CA - but California cats are probably the closest to OEM durability wise - of course you're gonna pay more since there's more platinum and rhodium in them. I have Walker CARB cats and while I still pass smog, they are smaller and more restrictive than the huge OE cats. If I had to do it again, I'd go with Magnaflow CARB cats.

Originally Posted By: nthach
FWIW, aftermarket cats don't flow nowhere near OEM,

Do a back pressure test at the front O2/AFM there is no additional back pressure which would be the case if it had less flow.
More wash coat, a larger wash coat surface area, higher quality steel pipe, heat shields and flanges are true for OE.

This simple tool will tell the tale. I have used it many times and found no difference in flow between a Walker, OE, Magna Flow or Eastern cat.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7215-Exhaust-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B0002SQWVQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back