State inspection results in car being taken off the road because of rust?

I have seen some posts reporting that they need to replace a car because of body rust. Wow!

My state (NJ) requires a car be “inspected“ every 2 years at a state DMV facility. They used to do a thorough inspection (brakes, suspension, exhaust system, tires, glass, seatbelts, emissions via a monitoring probe in the tail pipe while the car was running, lights, horn etc.) but now in the last six years (?) or so, they check for insurance and then plug in to the OBD port. If there are no codes and if a camera they drive over proves that the car has a catalytic converter, the car passes and is good for another two years. Oh yea, the lights must work, the wipers must sweep (but can be dry rotted and still pass) and the horn must blow.

I have a 22 yo beater Buick SUV that I use for dump runs with leaves, debris etc or firewood hauling that has very obvious body rust on the doors and a gurgling sound from the tailpipe, probably because of a leak beyond the original cat converter it still has, and it just passed inspection.

What inspection requirements must you meet in your state and have you ever had to junk a car because of body rust?

In Missouri a safety inspection looks at all items above that you mentioned. I have only seen one car that I know of locally to fail inspection due to rusted suspension mounting points.

In my current state of NC it all depends on the county, some have emissions. Otherwise, horn, wipers, lights, tires, tint, and a muffler (doesn't specify type). When I was in Maine. Sheeeew, they looked it over with a fine tooth comb. All the above plus rust/rot "sharp edges", e-brake, idler arm, tie rods, ball joints, u-joints, brakes, windshield, lift, tire size, headlight angles. You could run near any exhaust, but if you got a ticket for being too loud, the burden was on you to prove it was under 96db.

Many years ago a friend's 62 Impala was retired because of rust/rot after failing a NYS inspection. The floor boards were so rotted out you could see the road, and touch it with your foot, he covered them with plywood. It was just a matter of time before applying the brakes that the chassis would stop and the body keep going.

Virginia safety inspection will flunk a vehicle for rust perforation of the frame, suspension components, or floorpan. But, as with any state, it depends on the inspector how tight enforcement is. Used-car dealers that inspect cars they are trying to sell will fudge safety stuff. When I was looking for a used Ranger pickup, several former work trucks I saw on used-car lots had rotted frames (probably from road salt further north), but had somehow received valid Va. inspection stickers. :eek:

A number of states in the Northeast do not allow body perforation. Pennsylvania (mentioned above) is just one of several. Some European countries, including Britain, will also flunk a car for that.

Here in Pennsylvania -- inspection is annual. Any and all codes have to be fixed before it passes inspection. I see cars from Ohio & Michigan that should be in the junk yard. Bald tires all the way around, bumpers taped on, etc.... Having no inspection is putting peoples lives in jeopardy daily and should be illegal.

I live in a state where they will fail a vehicle for this, yes. But I don't drive vehicles that long to have hit it. Some vehicles could be unsafe in 10 years, maybe, not sure but I feel like you have to work at it for that to happen (or be unlucky, *cough* Toyota frames *cough* sub-frames on others, although those are replaceable items). While I tend to drive to get the value out of the car, I'm not interested in the tail end when it gets expensive.

For those who need to fill body holes in a quick manner that will pass inspection, consider using a "high density" minimum expanding foam. A 6 pound foam is a rigid waterproof foam that will make a pretty epic repair. But even a can of high density foam will work nicely.

The foam can be quickly sanded to shape, coated with spray paint, spray undercoating or bed liner.

I will never claim this makes a perfect repair. But it can, with just a few minutes work, get a car to pass the body rust inspection.

For those who need to fill body holes in a quick manner that will pass inspection, consider using a "high density" minimum expanding foam. A 6 pound foam is a rigid waterproof foam that will make a pretty epic repair. But even a can of high density foam will work nicely.

The foam can be quickly sanded to shape, coated with spray paint, spray undercoating or bed liner.

I will never claim this makes a perfect repair. But it can, with just a few minutes work, get a car to pass the body rust inspection.
I remember it was all the rage to fill frames with the stuff "because racecar." Maybe it still is.

Apparently it greatly increases chassis stiffness.

Virginia safety inspection will flunk a vehicle for rust perforation of the frame,
Not if they don't check. Had no problem getting a sticker for this,

09.JPG

11.JPG

although his did fail the ball joints which I then got one pair replaced under recall.

Virginia State inspections require inspection of the body and frame. They must be sound. Just ask @AutoMechanic

My 1970 Ford Fairlane (a New Jersey car) failed for body rust in about 1992. I patched it with sheet metal and pop rivets (this was a beat up old wagon, not a collector car, and I needed it back in service) and it passed.

I live on the WV and OH/KY border. You can visually tell from a block away which cars are from KY and OH neither of which require safety inspections.
Safety inspections help keep junk off of the road and everyone safer.
Can you point me to any statistic that tells me this makes us safer? There was another thread on this board recently - no one there could.

The vast majority of accidents are human error. The few that are not are typically environmental - ie black ice, etc.

Maryland is the toughest but only required once when car changes owners. Costs around $100 which tells you how thorough they are. An oil, power steering fluid or trans fluid leak can fail. Seat belt retractor doesn't retract easily can fail. Parking brake light not working, fail. Fog lights not working, even if the car didn't come with fog lights. Fail.

This is why you see many clapped out 2000 Civics or other 20+ year old beater with historic tags. And why few dealers sell cars under $5000 here.

Can you point me to any statistic that tells me this makes us safer? There was another thread on this board recently - no one there could.

The vast majority of accidents are human error. The few that are not are typically environmental - ie black ice, etc.
Maybe ask these guys:

Shoot, if you are on a motorcycle, all it takes is a rock in the road. Imagine riding along, minding your business (in SC with no helmet) and the car in front of you kicks up a bolt that fell off another car, or for that matter, that just fell off someone's truck and it strikes you at 70 MPH.

I was driving on I-26 coming from Charleston and a commercial truck in front of me had a box on angle iron drop on the road. People swerving everwhere. Saw a muffler on the highway too.

So, IMO, inspections are needed in all states. Especially in states that are lax on personal safety equipment while riding motorcycles.

Last edited:
Maybe ask these guys:

What does unsecured cargo falling off vehicles have to do with poorly maintained vehicles?

Back