ByPass Oil Filtration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Anyone have any experience with AMSOIL By-Pass Oil Filter mount kits? Will they cause oil pressure to drop???
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

No, the bypass unit will not cause any pressure drop.
but using Amsoil oil will cause a pressure drop.
due to easier pumpability, less strain on the oil pump.
usually at hot idle, but under load, normal oil pressure is noticed. No problems adding the bypass to any engine, it is all positive
grin.gif

Generally, the AMSOIL By Pass filter takes excess oil that would normally be blown out of the relief valve in the oil system that prevents over pressuring the oil system. That being said, at idle on engines with low idle oil pressure, the pressure could be somewhat lower. Here's why. The By Pass filter is taking a small amount of oil pressure off of the system at the point where the system is very low. This does not mean there is no oil flow, but some is being diverted and it probably would show. But just on cars that have really low oil pressure and only then at low engine RPMs.

I have lots of cars and all of them with By Pass filters. If the oil pressure is very low at idle, like on my air cooled VWs, I just bump the idle about 100 RPM or so and that usually gives the system a nudge up in pressure. If that isn't possible, usually low idle oil pressure is in an engine with high mileage, so go with slightly thicker viscosity motor oil. All of my cars except one use the 0W-30 Series 2000, so you can get a reference of what viscosity I'm dealing with in my cars.

In regards to lower oil pressure switching to AMSOIL from petroleum motor oils, I know for a fact in that case you have lower oil pressure but INCREASED OIL FLOW. AMSOIL may increase oil volume and give less resistance to the oil pumping system. Most of the time the oil pressure doesn't change very much though.

Quote:

Generally, the AMSOIL By Pass filter takes excess oil that would normally be blown out of the relief valve in the oil system that prevents over pressuring the oil system. That being said, at idle on engines with low idle oil pressure, the pressure could be somewhat lower. Here's why. The By Pass filter is taking a small amount of oil pressure off of the system at the point where the system is very low. This does not mean there is no oil flow, but some is being diverted and it probably would show. But just on cars that have really low oil pressure and only then at low engine RPMs.

I have lots of cars and all of them with By Pass filters. If the oil pressure is very low at idle, like on my air cooled VWs, I just bump the idle about 100 RPM or so and that usually gives the system a nudge up in pressure. If that isn't possible, usually low idle oil pressure is in an engine with high mileage, so go with slightly thicker viscosity motor oil. All of my cars except one use the 0W-30 Series 2000, so you can get a reference of what viscosity I'm dealing with in my cars.

In regards to lower oil pressure switching to AMSOIL from petroleum motor oils, I know for a fact in that case you have lower oil pressure but INCREASED OIL FLOW. AMSOIL may increase oil volume and give less resistance to the oil pumping system. Most of the time the oil pressure doesn't change very much though.

Thanks! That cleared up a lot now. The engine generates a lot of heat, so I'm sure more oil would do it good, and the synthetic would help keep the sludge away. I'll have to put it on the list. Have you used this in conjuction with their pre-lubrication system?

I don't have any experience with the by-pass filters, just knowledge from what I have read. The dual by-pass filter can decrease pressure and flow, but that's dependent upon the application. This was an older design, so it may no longer be true, but the single by-pass has never shown these issues, to my knowledge.

In real high flow oil systems, if you reach the relief limit of the oil pump, you can reduce flow. It would take an incredibly high flow system to do this. Common passenger/truck engine ..that may have a 9gal (this would be considered high volume) aren't typically effected. Most engines fall into the 5gpm range.

The true bypass (stand alone) filters restrict flow to make them innocuous.

Hi TBJ, yes there is room in Subaru's for a bypass filter. I have the big boy EaBP110's in my '96 and '00 Subaru's. It fits right next to the ABS hydraulic unit. Another good location is in the fender wells, especially the driver's side one. Just pull off that plastic guard underneath and there's tons of room in there for filters. Just return through the oil filler cap or into a valve cover.
sub00underhood2.jpg

Quote:

The true bypass (stand alone) filters restrict flow to make them innocuous.

When the Dual Remote By Pass filters came out I thought the stand alone filter would become a dinosaur. But in actual practice, the stand alone filter works great, better than great in some applications. Easy to install too.

The Dual Remote By Pass filters can flow more oil potentially through the By Pass filter element due to the flow resticter valve inside the filter. But this flow restricter valve does exactly that, restricts some oil flow by diverting pressure depending on oil pressure on the inlet compared to the outlet side. I use these systems on my air cooled VW engines where possible in order to get both a full flow and By Pass filter on one engine that previously had none. I also installed this system on my Chevy C-30 to get rid of that Chevy oil filter.

Aside from that, I find the stand alone By Pass filter to restrict flow via of an small diameter hole (1/32 inch). This will flow more oil at high pressure while dropping volume a lot during low oil pressure. I think this system has much less affect on engine idle oil pressure overall.

I've seen the Pre-Oiler installed on engines with the By Pass oil filter. Works great as oil pressure is up before the starter begins to rotate. No dry running what-so-ever! Who could argue that isn't a great idea?

I like the dual remote system with the single full flow and single bypass filter for applications such as power steering and automatic transmission filters. The restrictor valve with the full flow filter helps prevent too much pressure drop if the bypass filter can't handle the complete flow in such a setup.

I like the preoilers too. I have the amsoil pre-oiler in one vehicle. In my pic I used a canton/mecca racing 1qt accusump which has more than enough capacity to preoil this small 4cyl.

Quote:

I like the dual remote system with the single full flow and single bypass filter for applications such as power steering and automatic transmission filters. The restrictor valve with the full flow filter helps prevent too much pressure drop if the bypass filter can't handle the complete flow in such a setup.

I like the preoilers too. I have the amsoil pre-oiler in one vehicle. In my pic I used a canton/mecca racing 1qt accusump which has more than enough capacity to preoil this small 4cyl.

Those (the Dual Remote) are great for Automatic Transmission lines since they "full flow" and don't "by-pass" like the single stand alone By Passes. I've installed a full flow filter on the cooling lines of an Automatic transmission before, but I made sure the filter I used was equipped with a by-pass valve to allow oil to flow unimpeded. Either way, you have to make sure oil flow isn't restricted in those applications.

You could probably use dual 90's for a full flow trans filter. The fluid is thin. I just bridge the cooling lines to use the EaBP (actually, I think mine is an older Be filter) and then use a hydraulic filter (with mount integrated bypass valve) for the full flow duty. The BP80A mount is still available with its own integrated restrictor.

All good stuff....

Yes, that does work. I have the dual bypass mount with two EaBP110's as an ATF filter on my Subaru Outback. It seems to work well, plus it adds nearly an additional gallon of ATF in circulation in the system.

if you send me your e-mail address I will send you a new tech desing developed by the Germans, I am opening new markets with the new desing (the case which is axial)....it also lowers the temperature to your engine by more or less 20 degrees, contributing to reduce gases and by consecuence the engine works with less stress
ufo.gif

Maybe he meant "dressing" and the Germans have developed a new salad dressing??
grin.gif
I've known that 'Beano' helps reduces gases and blow by, and with certain consequences, it can improve one's chance of NOT sleeping with the dog!
blush.gif

I read where one fellow, a former Amsoil dealer said here where he had installed a dual remote bypass on his sister's Subaru and some time after that it spun a rod bearing. Then he took it to the dealer without removing the bypass and they (dealer and Subaru) immediately refused to honor the manufacturer warranty. Amsoil did not pay either, so he had to buy his sister a $6k engine. Then, (and I could not believe he admitted to this), he reinstalled the same bypass to the new engine and it spun the same bearing again!
He bought her another new engine and this time he did not install the bypass.

Moral of the story for me was to not use the dual remote bypass on a Subie, but rather the stand alone filter. Then if you do go in for any warranty work or otherwise, take the dang thing off the car before taking it in. Would seem like common sense to me.

Hm...yes not sure what to make of that. The dual remote setup you're talking about, is it the one with a full flow and bypass filter mounted side by side, or the one with two bypass filters?

I'm running amsoil bypass filters on two Subaru's without issues, but I'm using the bypass filter only teed out the oil pressure switch port on the block returned to the fill cap. In bypass mode if the restrictor is not installed I could see it causing issues because it would bypass way to much of the oil flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back