How often are filters in bypass mode?

If anyone was really sure this is a problem (special cases) - they make dual remote kits for oil filters - not bypass systems - but where you mount twins that can 2X the dirt capacity - lower the Dp - but, all at the same solids cut

I can see that, but for your typical say 0-32 degree winter day the oil wouldn't be that thick would it?
Here is a chart that goes to -20 C. At Bitog we discuss oils at operating at 8 to 16 cSt. Even at 0 F ( -18 C), a 0w40 would be at 1800 cSt, but probably not high enough to open the bypass. Would have the other oils opened the bypass? Maybe. This is why it drives me nuts when people say as long as it starts, it’s OK.

40A53CC6-CC88-4430-880B-9A73C686ECFC.jpeg

Last edited:
1. Has 0w oils reduced bypass in cold weather?
2. Does a high pressure oil pump automatically mean more bypass occurs?
3. Does bypass ever occur in warm to hot weather if filter isn't clogged?
4. Does running a heavier oil automatically increase bypass events?
5. How long does bypass usually last?
1. Yes, but the benefit will be quite small. Oil filters tend to bypass briefly after a cold start. This is a transient event that tends to only last while the oiling system is building up pressure, so generally not longer than a couple of seconds. The thicker the oil, the longer the bypass event will occur.

The figure below shows oil pressures during engine cranking. The difference between curves 1 and 2 is the pressure drop across the filter. The pressure drop is very high for around 15 seconds of cranking, which might equate to ~2 seconds of idling. Once most of the oiling system is pressurized, it drops down to only 8% of engine oil pressure and the filter will no longer be bypassing.

Cold oil cranking - Block Heater.jpg

2. A higher pressure oil pump will increase the pressure drop across the filter, making bypassing more likely. This is why engines with high maximum oil pressures like Subarus specify filters with high bypass pressures.

3. No, as long as an appropriate filter is used, a filter should never bypass unless it's clogged. This is true even when the oil is cold and thick, since the oil pump will reduce flow enough to limit pressure drop across the filter. Even with the 10W-30 at -25°C in the figure above, the oil filter is not bypassing once the engine achieves stable oil pressure. The only exception to this is the transient bypassing as described in 1).

4. No, a thicker grade of oil will not increase the likelihood of bypassing in most conditions, for the reasons described in 3). Again, The exception to this is the transient bypassing as described in 1).

5. Bypassing lasts for a very short time after a cold start, but can happen continuously if the filter is clogged, or if an inappropriate filter is used.

On engines designed to run 0w-20 or 0w-16 are we causing filter bypass events by choosing to run 5w-30 or -40 oil?
Hip shot. Increasing the chance depending upon temp and increased oil weight combo. Interesting chart.

1. Yes, but the benefit will be quite small. Oil filters tend to bypass briefly after a cold start. This is a transient event that tends to only last while the oiling system is building up pressure, so generally not longer than a couple of seconds. The thicker the oil, the longer the bypass event will occur.

The figure below shows oil pressures during engine cranking. The difference between curves 1 and 2 is the pressure drop across the filter. The pressure drop is very high for around 15 seconds of cranking, which might equate to ~2 seconds of idling. Once most of the oiling system is pressurized, it drops down to only 8% of engine oil pressure and the filter will no longer be bypassing.

View attachment 216335

2. A higher pressure oil pump will increase the pressure drop across the filter, making bypassing more likely. This is why engines with high maximum oil pressures like Subarus specify filters with high bypass pressures.

3. No, as long as an appropriate filter is used, a filter should never bypass unless it's clogged. This is true even when the oil is cold and thick, since the oil pump will reduce flow enough to limit pressure drop across the filter. Even with the 10W-30 at -25°C in the figure above, the oil filter is not bypassing once the engine achieves stable oil pressure. The only exception to this is the transient bypassing as described in 1).

4. No, a thicker grade of oil will not increase the likelihood of bypassing in most conditions, for the reasons described in 3). Again, The exception to this is the transient bypassing as described in 1).

5. Bypassing lasts for a very short time after a cold start, but can happen continuously if the filter is clogged, or if an inappropriate filter is used.
Interesting info. But I am confused about it bypassing while building pressure. I would think at max pressure it would bypass. Please clarify. Thanks

Looks like my Gen Coupe 2L turbo the pump bypass opens at 85 psi. I can get into the higher rpms on cold oil and it stops increasing there way before the revs run out. Same with the Kawasaki twin cyl on the new John Deere. It peaks at 85 when cold.

Interesting info. But I am confused about it bypassing while building pressure. I would think at max pressure it would bypass. Please clarify. Thanks
Consider the case where oil pressure is only built up in the filter and in the oil passages between the pump and filter, and the passages downstream of the filter are still unpressurized. If the pump pressure rises to 60 psi, all of that pressure will be dropped across the oil filter and those short oil passages. If the filter makes up 50% of that total restriction, the dP across it will be 30 psi. It's as if the rest of the engine downstream of the filter doesn't exist yet.

Once the system is fully pressurized, all of the restriction downstream of the filter is added to the system, and the oil filter becomes a smaller percentage of the total restriction. Oil pressure may rise to 100 psi, but the oil filter may now only represent 10% of the total restriction, so its dP will drop to 10 psi.

Looking at it from a flow perspective instead, when pressure is still building, there is less restriction, which allows the oil pump to initially flow at its full flow rate since it is not in pressure relief. A high flow rate with thick oil will cause a large pressure drop across the filter. Once the system is sufficiently pressurized, the total restriction is much higher and the oil pump goes into pressure relief and the flow rate is reduced. This lower flow rate reduces the pressure drop across the filter.

Let's put the bench racing theory aside and look at some real data!

A long-time member here (Jim Allen) did some actual filter BP event testing. It was more than a decade ago. He ran 10w-30 lube and a normal FF filter on his 5.4L F150. He used some fairly accurate equipment in a special filter base mounted to the engine, IIRC. He was able to measure the actual dP across the filter.

(note ... these threads are from the old platform, so some of the quotes are hard to discern and take a bit of deductive reading)
Here are a few of his dP threads:

Overall, the results were very telling. His filter would only go into BP when it was a cold start and he revved the engine up quickly. And that was with 10w-30. I later talked with him and he could rarely ever get the xW-20 grades to go into BP; they are thin enough that they flow really well. In "normal" use, especially with thinner lubes, the filter hardly ever goes into BP mode. And when it goes into BP, it's just a blip for a second or so; it's not a long event by any means. The only time it would do so frequently is if the filter were neglected to a point of blinding off (hardly a condition a BITOGer would ever experience, given their anal-retentive nature to over maintain things ....)

Last edited:
The oil filter bypass valve opens when ever the oil filter bypass pressure differential is approached. Every time the engine is started is a guarantee the bypass valve will open. More often when the oil is cold as compared to when hot.

The're a large flow of oil until the system reached stable pressure, at max pressure the oil isn't filling any galleries so flow is actually less

The oil filter bypass valve opens when ever the oil filter bypass pressure differential is approached.
That's pretty much the purpose of it; yes.

Every time the engine is started is a guarantee the bypass valve will open. More often when the oil is cold as compared to when hot.
Not true; it's not a "guarantee" by any long shot. Jim Allen's data shows your claim to be false. If the ADBV is doing its job, then there's pretty much no disparity in dP at startup; the transfer of pressure through the filter media is nearly instantaneous. Most certainly when the oil is warmed up, a dP BP event pretty much never happens. Only cold oils with moderate to heavy thickness cause a dP event at the media, and it's very short in duration (approx a second). For you to claim it's a "guarantee" would go against the real world data Jim collected and shared with BITOG.

Bypass occurs due to a resistance of flow through the oil filter media.

I doubt it happens at all unless the filter is extremely dirty since automakers are incentivized to insure filtered oil continues to flow under all operating conditions.

I suppose if you can get any ide by learning the psi at which the bypass valve operates for your specific filter
I think your response shows that you have no idea how thick oil can be at start up if it is not up to the operating temperature.

Last edited:
I think your response shows that you have no idea how thick oil can be at start up if it is not up to the operating temperature.
In artic temps sure but for the vast majority of use it's not relevant. But at artic temps there's more going on like how much effort it takes to pull the oil through the pick-up tube and the effort to pump the oil.

2. Does a high pressure oil pump automatically mean more bypass occurs?
Flow through the filter causes the dP across the bypass valve. Not oil pressure. If you had 100 PSI of oil pressure inside the filter and only 2 GPM of flow, the dP across the filter would be very low.

Bearings will draw the oil they need and have available at the surface, but no more. so...
Yes, journal bearings "self-pump" flow through them ("draw the oil they need"), but there is also added flow due to the oil supply pressure feeding the bearings.

The only way to know, is to fit an oil pressure gauge after the oil pump, if max oil pressure drops by the oil filter bypass setting, you know the filter is in bypass. I maintained some volvo equipment that had this as the criteria for an oil filter change, not miles or time.
That would work, but the best way is to have an actual dP gauge across the filter. A plot of that dP would show a distance inflection in the dP when the BPV opened. There have been a few members here that have actually rigged up a dP gauge on their vehicle and collected "on the road" measurements of the dP across the filter. The threads are buried somewhere in this forum.

Here is an oil pump for a Chevy LS engine. The spring sits in the machined tube and determines the oil pressure the pump will put out by leaking some of the oil back to the sump.

1714256950380.jpeg
There's a recent big discussion about the LS oil pumps. The info shows that they are basically in pressure relief not far above idle, and the relief valve is essentially controlling the pressure throughout the engine RPM range. That explains why on GM engines with this oil pump, that a severally clogged oil filter could show a decrease in oil pressure, because the pump is basically always in pressure relief above ~1000 RPM.

OEM's want flow over filtration when necessary.
Higher filter efficiency doesn't automatically mean less dP vs flow in an oil filter, or less volume getting to the engine. Ascents testing shows that high efficiency filters have pretty low dP vs flow curves. You only lose flow volume to the engine when the pump output flow decreases. All flow that gets sent into the engine flows through a "full flow' filter. Some may bypass the media if the bypass valve opens due to dP above the bypass setting.

Back