buy tires now or wait for the holiday specials

I just ran comparisons on my higher end tires, and as predicted and from my past experience the "buy 3 get 1 free" is a gimmick. They just increase the prices of tires so it is nearly the same as just going to any reputable shop without gimmicks.
I bought through them last year and it worked out on continentals. The prices were jacked up per tire but still ended up cheaper than buying 4 elsewhere, and I submitted to continental for a rebate too. That was a bit of a hassle due to the way Chrysler billed the tires out, but I just explained to 2 or 3 people that I did in fact buy 4 and eventually they approved my rebate.

Tire prices fluctuate though, so I’m sure it’s something that has to be checked currently and not just relied on someone else’s past experience.

I sell tires and one of the biggest issues we're having right now is that many tires are on backorder or simply unable to be ordered I surmise due to production issues. Many of my customers who have thought that waiting around would somehow get them a "better deal" have ended up having to take what they can get because what they want is not available or will not be available within the timeframe they intend to purchase.

I am thinking that things like this are going to become the new reality in this economy, people wanting and waiting for deals are going to be left waiting and wanting.

Plenty of stories floating around on material shortages, supply chain logistics problems, and impending price hikes. If it were me, I'd buy now to get what I want and not have to settle for what someone may have later....

And I did exactly that and bought my winter tires and wheels early this year - I didn't want to get caught. As it was, I didn't get the exact wheels I wanted as they were "unknown" on the arrival date - not inspiring - and roughly 1/2 of the wheels had a delay ranging from a month to several months...

There is a shortage of rubber looming and this will cause a new tire shortage in the near future.
Hence why I have tires aging in the garage in expectation of changing out in a year or 2.

I need 2 tires changed soon (got replacements last fall)
But the next pair is a “ways” off bought solely on price, freshness and will keep them in a cold dark bag until I’m ready to mount.

I’ve always found tires were only cheap when I don’t need them so I always just buy the treads when they are cheap and I’m getting closer to changing (Typically less than a year off but unpredictable times dictate a slight change)

What is strange is the tires I bought in November I expected would need to go on in January but I’m still on the old treads now, I wasn’t able to burn the amount of tread off I’d like but will need to replace before snow flies regardless since I don’t want to mess with meh traction late fall into winter.

Might need to go on more long trips, sometimes one very long trip will total out tires.

Ah well, now the next problem again is nobody wants to take junk tires at the moment

I would be wary of the supply chain issues; buying now could be considered a hedge against higher cost and availability issues.
If your vehicle uses a common size, this is probalbly less of a risk.
In the case of our '13 GS350 and its staggered tires, I am more concerned. Only place I can get the Michelins I want is the Rack.

You believe yourself?

Thru experience, you betcha. I do probably greater than 75% of my "retail" shopping in 2nd hand markets, including CL, FB marketplace, similar online sites and storefronts. Nearly 100% perfect experiences, minus the flakes and no-shows.

When you're getting items with close to 90%+ life remaining often for 1/10th their retail prices, you save a bundle. For tires, 1/2 off is the norm. That's a significant bite in saving money.

If you know what you're looking for and have a minimum level of sophistication, you can save thousands annually by buying 2nd hand. I bet I've saved $100,000 in the last decade just buying items 2nd hand.

Last edited:
Buy the tires you need now. Don't expect any holiday sales. Check this thread for what's happening now with some tires:

Went into DT today and did the deed. they had to order my tires though . the sales guy told me they are out of a few of the most popular sizes .

Going to be this way for a while for a lot of things. Tires, routine auto parts, even oil filters are starting to become an issue.

If you need something now, or know you will need it in the next few months, might be best to buy now to get exactly what you want. Otherwise you will either be stuck without or have to settle for an inferior substitute. It really is kind of alarming. I honestly don't see things starting to noticeably improve until summer 2022.

Gas prices went up a little here today: 87 - $3.55, 89 - $3.97, 91 - $4.08, 93 - $4.14, Diesel - $3.95

Let me cast one more vote for buying now. My daughter's (new driver, got her license earlier this year) camry was down to 4/32 in one tire, and 4.5 on another. I went ahead and put a new set on a couple of weeks ago, just before the rainy season in our area. Just not worth it, trying to save an extra $20-30 bucks. Use the AT cc and you get a $50 rebate, plus 6 months to pay it off no interest.

I just logged on to three online, tire websites.... 265/70r17's are WAY up in price and I don't expect them to come down. Tires I could get for $105 a few months ago, are now $145...... Buy now...cause the price ain't coming down....

I am trying to buy some 265/70r17's and I have now been shown.... "Out Of Stock"..... on my top three choices.

Poop...

Last edited:
Costco has $100 or $150 off Michelin tires. I purchased the Michelin CrossClimate2s just this last Thursday and so far they’re pretty darned good.

I've priced Costco many times on tires and they are higher than the local tire shops on similar tires and often by a large margin, even with their "discounts." Costco is normally very good on prices but on tires they are rarely competitive. And their extras are pricey too.

I've priced Costco many times on tires and they are higher than the local tire shops on similar tires and often by a large margin, even with their "discounts." Costco is normally very good on prices but on tires they are rarely competitive. And their extras are pricey too.

The price was cheaper than at Tirerack for me by roughly the amount of the discount.

Based on what I'm seeing at Tire Rack, you should buy now. Pricing will be the best you can get, plus if they're in stock, you can actually get them. Don't wait. Tires are crucial to safety.
Got Perelli P zero +2 all season
at Sam’s club 117 each
-80 dollars
Or free install
Love them
My only complaint is the W is a bit stiff

Back