buy tires now or wait for the holiday specials

I got new tires 2 weeks ago. I waited about 3 months for a "deal" on specific conties - there was no deal and meanwhile the price went up 10-15% ...

Walmart’s “Black Friday” deal is $20 off each Goodyear tire with free mounting and balancing from November 5th through the 11th. I’ve heard mixed reviews on the Walmart-exclusive Goodyears, but I may be going with this deal at $312 + tax out the door for four Goodyear Reliants (235/60/16) mounted and balanced.

I've priced Costco many times on tires and they are higher than the local tire shops on similar tires and often by a large margin, even with their "discounts." Costco is normally very good on prices but on tires they are rarely competitive. And their extras are pricey too.
That is impossible. If you are making apples to apples comparisons for Michelin's including road hazard, no one beats Costco. Not even Discount/America's tire. In fact, I usually have to ask America's Tire to pricematch costco.

That is impossible. If you are making apples to apples comparisons for Michelin's including road hazard, no one beats Costco. Not even Discount/America's tire. In fact, I usually have to ask America's Tire to pricematch costco.

Well, I guess I did the impossible.
Got a quote for the same tires after all expenses. Like $1100 from Costco and $900 from Discount Tire. YMMV.

Well, I guess I did the impossible.
Got a quote for the same tires after all expenses. Like $1100 from Costco and $900 from Discount Tire. YMMV.
That is entirely possible if you captured Costco pricing when there was not an active promotion.

Yep a long trip did it, time to mount my $45 Walmart clearance treads sucks that I had to push it to get 35,000 miles out of a set of Michelin’s

143A5CE7-6CF7-4A65-B810-858C3C49A5B9.jpeg

Yep a long trip did it, time to mount my $45 Walmart clearance treads sucks that I had to push it to get 35,000 miles out of a set of Michelin’s

View attachment 75895
It's not the tire's fault that you didn't inflate the air pressure properly. You can clearly tell this is uneven wear from underinflation, with how the shoulders are worn but not the center of the tire. Could do a little alignment as well

Crossing my fingers for a decent Black Friday sale this year for the wife’s Durango. My truck will need something in the spring, as soon as the snow flies I’ll swap over to my snows.

It's not the tire's fault that you didn't inflate the air pressure properly. You can clearly tell this is uneven wear from underinflation, with how the shoulders are worn but not the center of the tire. Could do a little alignment as well

I run 44psi almost year round.

My alignment was checked before and after mounting these tires went on and off, perfectly in spec both times.

The only way I’ve found on modern cars to reduce inner edge wear is to have an independent shop set the tires to true zero toe. Per the spec sheet for my car that is completely wrong, also makes highway steering a little squirrelly but very precise aggressive steering.

Sadly Most corporate alignment shops refuse to set alignment this way.

Also worth noting zero toe just equals the edge wear out, doesn’t slow it down.

Every semi modern FWD car I’ve owned wears the same when in spec per OEM, only when I’ve gone off spec have my wear numbers improved

My antique vehicles oddly enough wear tires perfectly flat, modern era problems

I’d buy now while you can. According to what I’ve heard the shortage is only going to get worse. The tires we want for our Camry are only available from TireRack right now and I work at a shop so it’s not a problem for me to mount and balance them but we won’t mount or balance any tire not purchased from us. I’d check with the shop and make sure they will if you want to go that route. And I don’t think there will be any holiday sales this year.

Back