bright star in the western sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past year I've asked high school aged students what that bright star in the western sky was. Not once has anyone guessed the correct answer. When told it was the International Space Station they were completely surprised and most claimed to have never heard of it or to have only heard of it in passing and were not interested enough to ask anything about it. The ISS is up there every night and not one of them looked up long enough to notice it. I started with a new question. Do you believe that the successful landing of a man on the moon for the first time this year was a wast of taxpayer's dollars and future launches should be cancelled and NASA should be abolished? 27 students agreed that it was all a waste of money and never questioned the details. 11 stated that they knew there was no such event but of the 11, 7 said that NASA was a waste of money with comments like "What have they ever accomplished?". Only 3 had any knowledge of NASA and made statements that science and technology were important and worth funding.

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea that space exploration is a waste of money is both highly intuitive and dangerously wrong.

Let's hope that changes before it's too late.

Tell them about Elon Musk.

When he was their age, he identified 3 things important to man that he wanted to work on. The Internet, the Environment, Space.

He is responsible for:

PayPal
Tesla
Space X

And he's doing it all in your state, California

You should have asked the students how long it took America to surrender in WW 11 after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

I find it very concerning that the new generation is totally uninterested in understanding and learning about science/technology etc. Especially since they use the technology all the time (internet, cell phones, social media).

But, I don't think ISS is that easy to see. I look at the sky all the time and only saw it once (without specifically looking for).

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

For the past year I've asked high school aged students what that bright star in the western sky was. Not once has anyone guessed the correct answer. When told it was the International Space Station they were completely surprised and most claimed to have never heard of it or to have only heard of it in passing and were not interested enough to ask anything about it. The ISS is up there every night and not one of them looked up long enough to notice it. I started with a new question. Do you believe that the successful landing of a man on the moon for the first time this year was a wast of taxpayer's dollars and future launches should be cancelled and NASA should be abolished? 27 students agreed that it was all a waste of money and never questioned the details. 11 stated that they knew there was no such event but of the 11, 7 said that NASA was a waste of money with comments like "What have they ever accomplished?". Only 3 had any knowledge of NASA and made statements that science and technology were important and worth funding.

Good...we are going to need a whole new generation of burger flippers to protest for $25/hr minimum wage.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
You should have asked the students how long it took America to surrender in WW 11 after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

What's more frightening is he might have actually gotten an answer from someone.

For the past year I've asked high school aged students what that bright star in the western sky was. Not once has anyone guessed the correct answer.

That's a rather obscure question.

As someone fairly accomplished in astronomy, I'll say the ISS never remains in one spot, nor appears in the same place from night to night, much less over a year. If you'd like to know where it is, along with lots of other satellites, look up Heavens-Above and enter your location.

The bright 'star' in the West was probably Venus. You can currently see it and Saturn. For a nice, free star-chart, go to Skymaps.com

Your larger point regarding NASA, ISS and space-awareness is well taken and sad. Even worse, they don't realize how myopic and clueless they are regarding the larger world.

I've been attending public star parties for over a decade now, showing kids & their parents the Moon, planets, the Sun via a filter, globular & open clusters, nebula's, etc. Most have never even looked through a telescope, including their parents. They sure are amazed though at their first look.

I'm far from knowledgeable about astronomy but I always thought the ISS was constantly moving and appeared similar to a satellite moving across the sky.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
For the past year I've asked high school aged students what that bright star in the western sky was. Not once has anyone guessed the correct answer.

If one wants to be pedantic, the ISS is not a star. So if asked about a star instead of a bright light, the ISS would not be among the top answers from those in the know when it comes to space.

It is a satellite and is constantly moving.

Yes, the ISS isn't stationary, it moves. Furthermore, depending upon the time/date/location it may or may not be visible. In many cases it may only be available for a few minutes at most. In some cases it may not even be in the western sky but more of the SW or NW.

This link will help you find it: ISS tracking

NASA isn't a waste, never has been.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
The bright star in the western sky seen around sunset is sol.

Can probably win some bar bets asking folks to name the nearest star.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

If one wants to be pedantic, the ISS is not a star. So if asked about a star instead of a bright light, the ISS would not be among the top answers from those in the know when it comes to space.

I think it is one thing to be disappointed to ask someone a question about something that is common knowledge or the person has been taught, but it's another to ask something vague and requires the knowledge of astronomy and actually expect an answer from high school students nonetheless.

That's really clever.

Although I know the sun is a star, I didn't actually think its name was Sun or that it had a name.

At a party last night, I looked at my watch and invited a few people to step in a clearing to watch the ISS fly over. It showed up right on cue, and took 3 mins to transit the sky. The people thought it was a real treat and cool to actually watch the ISS fly over and know when to look for it.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Can probably win some bar bets asking folks to name the nearest star.

I like to tell people I can do between 2 and 300 pushups in a minute.
lol.gif

(Not between two- and three-hundred, the dash is all-important and assumed.)

That's really clever.

Although I know the sun is a star, I didn't actually think its name was Sun or that it had a name.

A number of authoritative places on the net indicate "sol" as being a historic or poetic name for the Sun; it, in fact, doesn't have a scientific designation other than "the Sun"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back