Brake Piston Compression Tool

As you know ...... working on brakes can be frustrating especially if you use a C- clamp to compress the piston . But has anyone ever used a Trigger Clamp to compress the piston . It just seems like it would be easier to use than a C - clamp . Lisle makes a tool similiar but costs alot more .
Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 10-16-52 BESSEY EHK SERIES - 300 lb Clamping Force - 06 in - EHKL06 T...jpg

That might work. I use a big channel locks.

If the piston wants to go, it'll go. If it doesn't you have other problems. The exact right tool isn't important, you just don't want to chip the piston or cock it sideways.

Should work. I push my pistons in with the bleeder open, that trigger clamp may be a pain to clean the brake fluid from every crevice. It would need to be relegated to only automotive, and never used for wood work.

A small pry bar used prior to caliper removal helps. The cheapo screw compressor tool works just fine for the DIYer and won't break the bank.

OEMTOOLS 27277 Dual/Single Disc Brake Pad Spreader, Brake Caliper Compression Tool, Dual Piston Caliper Tool, Disk Brake Spreader, Brake Caliper Tool https://a.co/d/csvNZEa

I’ve been using a Mac branded version of this tools for about 20 years now. Works great.

Use one of these,

products-1023_4_1392936358.jpg

A bit heavy but built to last 100 years.
It looks similiar to a C-clamp..... heavy , awkward and has the same type of handle which is why I'm trying to find a better alternative . Thanks Tho

Last edited:
I don’t know that a plastic clamp would work at least not for all of them. Personally I like to use the welding style vise grip pliers or the tools made to do it but that’s just my preference.

OEMTOOLS 27277 Dual/Single Disc Brake Pad Spreader, Brake Caliper Compression Tool, Dual Piston Caliper Tool, Disk Brake Spreader, Brake Caliper Tool https://a.co/d/csvNZEa

I’ve been using a Mac branded version of this tools for about 20 years now. Works great.
I've never seen that type before . I shoulda mentioned it's for a single piston caliper .

spent my professional life working as a mechanic and I can always tell the difference in posts between real life mechanics and the guys who do it for fun at home. :) I just jam a screwdriver between the pads and the rotor and pry to caliper pistons back like that.

I do have C clamps, a real brake caliper compressing tool but the good old large screwdriver works better, faster and easier than anything else. no sh!dt, it is that simple.

It looks similiar to a C-clamp..... heavy , awkward and has the same type of handle which is why I'm trying to find a better alternative . Thanks Tho
Huh? You stick the 2 ears of the tool between the inner and out pistons of the caliper and it spreads them out back into the caliper. Not sure how a C clamp would do that.

Huh? You stick the 2 ears of the tool between the inner and out pistons of the caliper and it spreads them out back into the caliper. Not sure how a C clamp would do that.
I meant it's similiar as far as the handle goes and is another downfall to using a C-clamp or similiar tool . I'm looking for something that is quick and easy .

Here's a pic of the rear caliper I have to work with . Part of the problem is : the brake line hooks up on the very rear of the caliper where the C- clamp goes. So essentially the contact area is on the Parking Brake Bolt (black) itself .

Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 15-02-49 2014 FORD EDGE 3.7L V6 Caliper RockAuto.png

Last edited:
Have wanted this Lisle for a long time, the price keeps escalating, but I get by with a few c clamps of the appropriate size just fine.

Lisle 25750 Dual Piston Brake Caliper Compressor, metal https://a.co/d/fa6OUkq

As you know ...... working on brakes can be frustrating especially if you use a C- clamp to compress the piston . But has anyone ever used a Trigger Clamp to compress the piston . It just seems like it would be easier to use than a C - clamp . Lisle makes a tool similiar but costs alot more .
View attachment 176420
This is what I use, works great on single piston one calipers and was a bit of a test of grip strength with the Outback's dual piston fronts. I used the old brake pad to make sure I got both pistons evenly and straight.

Back