Brake Pad Selection Advice

I understand completely!

Do you have any idea of how you want to accomplish this?...just curious. :)
I wouldn't have any idea in particular but, I may(the way my brain works) try going down in CoF to an "EE" or slapping on some semi-metallic pads for that little bit better bite. Even though it is said that semi-met's cause more rotor wear, it is less concerning coming from the rear IMO!

Char baby they are OEM brakes. It seems to me that the rears do little of the stopping.
Granted it is FWD but I still feel the rear should be doing something. Im going to try a
more aggressive pad on the rear to see if I can change the brake bias some, on the other
hand,not too aggressive so that the rear end slides on hard apply

The rear wont slide, before that happens the abs will detect the onset of tyre slip and limit pressure to the rear brakes. If EBD can't catch it in time, ABS will. That's all considering you went so far to the back with the bias that it's even necessary. Depending on your tyres, you're probably limited to 1G of decelleration so as estimate the load will change from 60/40 ish to 80/20 but no more. In the wet or slippery conditions the transfer is less.

With an older car without EBD or ABS you'd be better to not go agressive with rear brake power

You are in NY where there is no such thing as too much salt or brine on the roads in the winter according to the highway people. Some are pulling the brakes apart yearly just to clean and lube without replacing anything. Use to be wait until the pads are gone then service the brakes. Not any more.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I just went back to look at the OP’s location. I used to live on the other side of Buffalo, in the Southtowns. You not kidding about the cocktail they splatter on the roads. My mechanic recommended a brake service, not replace, every spring to clean up the mess. I’d do that and see if that makes any difference.

Reactions: JC1
I run Akebono Ceramic Pads on everything.
Some folks on Toyota Nation turned me on to Akebono pads. Love 'em. Super smooth, quiet, almost no dust. Got a set of 976s on my Tacoma and a set on my daughter's Yaris.

20200201_101658.jpg
20200201_091627.jpg

Reactions: JC1
Centric PQ Pros are absolute dust machines and also significantly cheaper than EBC redstuff. It has the same type of break-in coating which causes nasty squealing for the first 1k miles or so but performance is impressive.

I'd use a block of wood before I ever put Akebono ceramics in any of my cars again.

I just ordered pads for my 17 Silverado. After a bit of research I got the EHT Raybestos pads. It’s always a trade off too, cost verses benefit. I’ll be testing them out.

The Akebono Performance Pad is available for your application. This is one of the best performing pads on the market. I would run this.

I do not have experience with EBC pads.

2EHA,

Did you grease the backs and ears of your PQ Pro pads? Slide pins lubed?

I recently installed the Centric PQ Pro pads front and back on my Cadillac. There is no squealing, they are silent and they're practically dust free. I have also had the same experience using the regular Centric Posi Quiet pads on other vehicles.

2EHA,

Did you grease the backs and ears of your PQ Pro pads? Slide pins lubed?

I recently installed the Centric PQ Pro pads front and back on my Cadillac. There is no squealing, they are silent and they're practically dust free. I have also had the same experience using the regular Centric Posi Quiet pads on other vehicles.
don’t have slide pins on my brakes. I used the moly brake lube they included on the shims.

you’re right the dust did stop after break in. could’ve also been down to the fact i was doing 110 to 20 stops to shut them up for a while

If there is no other high performance pad available. I would use these:

1. Power Stop Z23 or up. I use these personally for over 6 years. They work really well in normal cars like Toyota Highlander, Toyota Matrix when no other high performance pad avaliable. They might need a bit warm up during winter, just 2-3 stop signs will do.

2. Akebono Street Performance Ceramic, not Pro Act. I haven't use these but these are well reviewed by forums.

3. Raybestos EHT Element3. I would use these if the above are not available. I have used these on Toyota Highlander. They have a little bit less bite than Z23, but still work decent.

All of the above are available at RockAuto, not exotic hard to find brands.
Regarding "ceramic" Akebono Pro Act- worst stopping pads I have used. In my experience, exhibit little bite and fade and leave excessive pad deposits leading to pulsation. But are quiet, smooth, clean and are easy on rotors.

I've only tried maybe 10 different pad brands over the years, but my top 3 are
1) Akebono ASP (Performance Line)
2) Raybestos EHT Element 3
3) Akebono ACT

All three of these are ceramic pads, traditionally semi-metallic pads have more bite but the trade off is brake dust,noise, and faster rotor wear. Not sure if that is still true, but that was the general consensus for years.
Install high carbon rotors to resist faster rotor wear. Centric comes to mind. IMO, semi mets with high carbon rotors is the best set up.

You are in NY where there is no such thing as too much salt or brine on the roads in the winter according to the highway people. Some are pulling the brakes apart yearly just to clean and lube without replacing anything. Use to be wait until the pads are gone then service the brakes. Not any more.
[/QUOTE]
I live in Ct but work in New York,and as you said new york loves the salt.I take my brakes apart in the fall to clean and lube everything b4 the salt hits the ground.

The stock pads are probably FF pads. Most pads mentioned in this thread are GG rated pads. Just remember whatever you do to the front you also need to do to the rear. If you put GG pads on the front and don't touch the rear, you will instantly increase the front brake bias and not improve your braking over all because then your rear brakes will be doing less overall work.

Regarding "ceramic" Akebono Pro Act- worst stopping pads I have used. In my experience, exhibit little bite and fade and leave excessive pad deposits leading to pulsation. But are quiet, smooth, clean and are easy on rotors.
They also have a "squishy" feel. Not sure why.
I think I posted about the deposit issue as well. However, out of the box, these pads have the best looking paint job compared to all of the other aftermarket pads imo. The only one that comes close are the EHT's.

Lately I have been using the Centric PQ's and the DFC 5000 series pads.

They also have a "squishy" feel. Not sure why.
I think I posted about the deposit issue as well. However, out of the box, these pads have the best looking paint job compared to all of the other aftermarket pads imo. The only one that comes close are the EHT's.

Lately I have been using the Centric PQ's and the DFC 5000 series pads.
Akebono is top notch company. Performance of their pads is bcs. they choose so, not bcs. they cannot make better performing pad. They are F1 supplier, so they know how to make good pad. But, they found their sweet spot in no dust, long lifespan category, and that does not go together with performance.

Akebono is top notch company. Performance of their pads is bcs. they choose so, not bcs. they cannot make better performing pad. They are F1 supplier, so they know how to make good pad. But, they found their sweet spot in no dust, long lifespan category, and that does not go together with performance.
I think you are correct. But when lesser known brands can deliver the same quiet performance with better performance and a significantly lower price point, why should I buy them?

To some customers, the name is a factor I suppose.

I think you are correct. But when lesser known brands can deliver the same quiet performance with better performance and a significantly lower price point, why should I buy them?

To some customers, the name is a factor I suppose.
True. I had AK once, took them down after 3k, never again. I do not care about dust, or longevity.

Back