2015 Odyssey - Most expensive brake service ever...

My nieces 2105 Odyssey EX-L...
April 2022, 133,500K, I installed Element 3 Pads and rotors. Cleaned up everything, lubed, torqued, etc.

April 2023, 159,000, 25,500 miles since service, Wendy complained of a shake, she took it to local Wheel Works (Firestone), they said it was LCA bushings. Took it to a "good" shop in Santa Cruz. This used to be my brother's shop before he got sick from cancer and passed away at 44. I love the place, on the west side of town by the University. They said it was brake shudder which of course surprised me. Mechanic said he did not like the Raybestos E3 brake components. He resurfaced rotors (front and rear), reused E3 front pads and installed new rear pads. $600.
A month or so ago Wendy said the shudder returned at times, primarily on the freeway. There is a windy, hilly highway between here and Santa Cruz through the Santa Cruz Mountain Range.
Based on @The Critic recommendation, I purchased Honda pads (Ebay $65) and Dynamic Friction Geospec rotors (RA, $60 each).
Today, Aug 2023, 169,000, 10,000 miles since resurface rotors, I installed the new parts. I was disappointed with the shop's work. Way over torqued fasteners, too much lube in the sliders as one slider would not fully compress.

Apparently the brakes may be undersized for the minivan? I've installed the Element 3 on several vehicles including my Tundra (pads only) and on a TSX. Maybe the rotors are not up to the task of a heavy van?

Dunno. Should I plan on brakes every 25K? Let's see what happens. The brakes feel pretty good right now. The Honda pad fittment was like buttah... Nice!

Wendy let me know the brakes feel great; she got home through the hills. I have had good results with the E3 brake components. Not sure I will use them again...

Last edited:
That sure does seem excessive. Did it eat brakes like that prior to reaching over 100K?
If the OEM components lasted 100K, then I would happily pay the higher price for those than be changing components at 25k...not to mention the safety factor.

That sure does seem excessive. Did it eat brakes like that prior to reaching over 100K?
If the OEM components lasted 100K, then I would happily pay the higher price for those than be changing components at 25k...not to mention the safety factor.
I don't know as she and her girls (2 sets of twin girls) were living in Arlington, TX when they bought the van. He husband Tim, my nephew passed away at 32; she is raising the girls on her own. I did not know her before that; now I stay close to them. 2 summers ago my BIL and I went to Arlington and moved her back to Capitola, 30 miles south of me.

The brakes did not look OE when I serviced them the 1st time because the shims were bonded to the pads, unlike Honda loose shims.

I've had Raybestos rotors and E3 pads for the fronts on the Odyssey for about 8-10k now and everything is good. Rears are still factory pads/rotors.

Is this typical for the segment? Undersized rotors to keep costs down and reduce unspring mass?
That's above my pay grade, but I think Honda got this one wrong. Wendy drives a lot, 2K per month, is always running late due to 4 girls and drives hard! She's amazing...

Is this typical for the segment? Undersized rotors to keep costs down and reduce unspring mass?
Toyota and Honda both. Not sure about Nissan and Koreans, but I don't think it is any different. They are way undersized.
1. It keeps costs down.
2. Less unsprung weight improves mpg.
3. Possibility to use smaller wheels.

They calculate how the majority of drivers use these vans. Going to school, office. Some will tax brakes with mountain driving (me) and aggressive driving (me), but how many % of drivers is that?

My nieces 2105 Odyssey EX-L...
April 2022, 133,500K, I installed Element 3 Pads and rotors. Cleaned up everything, lubed, torqued, etc.

April 2023, 159,000, 25,500 miles since service, Wendy complained of a shake, she took it to local Wheel Works (Firestone), they said it was LCA bushings. Took it to a "good" shop in Santa Cruz. This used to be my brother's shop before he got sick from cancer and passed away at 44. I love the place, on the west side of town by the University. They said it was brake shudder which of course surprised me. Mechanic said he did not like the Raybestos E3 brake components. He resurfaced rotors (front and rear), reused E3 front pads and installed new rear pads. $600.
A month or so ago Wendy said the shudder returned at times, primarily on the freeway. There is a windy, hilly highway between here and Santa Cruz through the Santa Cruz Mountain Range.
Based on @The Critic recommendation, I purchased Honda pads (Ebay $65) and Dynamic Friction Geospec rotors (RA, $60 each).
Today, Aug 2023, 169,000, 10,000 miles since resurface rotors, I installed the new parts. I was disappointed with the shop's work. Way over torqued fasteners, too much lube in the sliders as one slider would not fully compress.

Apparently the brakes may be undersized for the minivan? I've installed the Element 3 on several vehicles including my Tundra (pads only) and on a TSX. Maybe the rotors are not up to the task of a heavy van?

Dunno. Should I plan on brakes every 25K? Let's see what happens. The brakes feel pretty good right now. The Honda pad fittment was like buttah... Nice!

Wendy let me know the brakes feel great; she got home through the hills. I have had good results with the E3 brake components. Not sure I will use them again...
DFC is kind of last resort. I use them on rear as that is the only option for this rare E90 Brembo performance brake option on BMW> Finish is bad, etc. They do job as it is rear, but if I had other option, I would go.

As for Honda, I had the same thing when I purchased a Sienna (OE rotors). Put these rotors:

They lasted 40k, but EBC Green Stuff pads kind of ate them. Though performance-wise, that combo was light years ahead of Toyota OE rotors. If she wants longevity, I would go these EBC and Akebono ceramic pads. If she wants more performance, these rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads (will see dust):

I later tried Raybestos and Advics, 10k each, before starting to shake.

That's above my pay grade, but I think Honda got this one wrong. Wendy drives a lot, 2K per month, is always running late due to 4 girls and drives hard! She's amazing...
Maybe teach her to use engine braking on the long downhills and to apply the brakes to scrub 5 mph fairly quickly and then coast for a bit? Riding them all the way down a long grade is tough on them...
I was driving my cousins minivan in the mountains in B.C. and he forgot to tell me to downshift, but I figured it would be a good idea after getting on and off the brakes a half dozen times to keep the speed reasonable...

Maybe teach her to use engine braking on the long downhills and to apply the brakes to scrub 5 mph fairly quickly and then coast for a bit? Riding them all the way down a long grade is tough on them...
I was driving my cousins minivan in the mountains in B.C. and he forgot to tell me to downshift, but I figured it would be a good idea after getting on and off the brakes a half dozen times to keep the speed reasonable...
I downshift all the time. Does not help. Odysay is some 4,600-4,700lbs and has the same rotors as my wife's Tiguan, which is 1,000+lbs lighter. Plus, I think it is pretty much a basic compound. Add to that fairly big hub, and you really do not have a lot of surface to shed heat.

I downshift all the time. Does not help. Odysay is some 4,600-4,700lbs and has the same rotors as my wife's Tiguan, which is 1,000+lbs lighter. Plus, I think it is pretty much a basic compound. Add to that fairly big hub, and you really do not have a lot of surface to shed heat.
Downshifting may not help a whole lot, but its not zero... And obviously in the niece's case, she isn't overheating them by a huge amount if she's getting 25k miles out of them before an issue occurs, so it might be the difference?

If I had to guess, I'm afraid @edyvw is right on this one. Quality parts count, but if the design is subpar, you are fighting an tough battle.
Brakes are a critical component.

I think the E3 rotors are not up to the task for this heavy, FWD vehicle. It shouldn't be that hard. I love Hondas, but this is not good...

If I had to guess, I'm afraid @edyvw is right on this one. Quality parts count, but if the design is subpar, you are fighting an tough battle.
Brakes are a critical component.

I think the E3 rotors are not up to the task for this heavy, FWD vehicle. It shouldn't be that hard. I love Hondas, but this is not good...
Most of the weight is up front. It probably has 60% weight to the front.
Upgrade here is the name of the game. EBC, HAWK, maybe Brembo.
Raybestos has a truck lineup. Maybe you could try that if willing to experiment.

Downshifting may not help a whole lot, but its not zero... And obviously in the niece's case, she isn't overheating them by a huge amount if she's getting 25k miles out of them before an issue occurs, so it might be the difference?
Maybe you squeeze out of them a bit more. But, design and quality is an issue here.

People always smoke oddysey brakes. I don't own an oddysey but I would think downshifting and not riding the brakes (brake hard and then coast for a minute so they can cool) might help them not warp

Back