bought chevy malibu with 1.5 ecotec

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the UPF64R vs. PF64 issue, there is a difference in bypass valve design and the UPF64R uses the superior silicone ADBV. They were cut open here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-...ilter-pics.html

Bypass pressure on the UPF64R is 35 psi, and the PF64 is unknown (can't find it). I did notice the 2017 Malibu Owner's Manual (OM) does insist on the UPF64R, so you are wise to stick with that one exactly. In contrast, my 2018 Equinox OM only points to the PF64, which Fram says cross-references to an XG10060 with a 10 psi bypass.
Also, Fram says a PH12060 with a bypass of 25 psi, will cross-reference to a UPF64R if you can trust them. I'd choose a UPF64R over the PH Fram in your case.
http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=PH12060&CP=UPF64R

Filtering comparisons: Fram Ultra has better filtering efficiency specs than the PF64 or UPF64R, so breaking mine in with an Ultra should work OK.

I put on a magnetic drain plug to catch more break-in iron (GoldPlug AP-04 there).

thanks to this thread i will not be looking at any gm vehicle with a 1.5t engine when i next go car shopping.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Dexos2 and good luck!
NO NO NO, not Dexos2, that/s for diesels. Dexos1 Gen2 is for the small turbo engines that have the LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition) issues that is made worse by some oil additives.

To be honest I have been enjoying the dealer oil changes with the full syn, delco filter, tire rotation and inspection for $50. Of course I can do it cheaper but they also wash and vacuum the interior. If you want to do your own I would use any Dexos 1 gen 2 approved oil (ST syn, Mobil 1, PP are all good choices) and a Delco filter. Use the OLM and you will get many happy miles from it.

Originally Posted By: jstert
thanks to this thread i will not be looking at any gm vehicle with a 1.5t engine when i next go car shopping.

Believe me, there are times when I wish I didn't have a DIT engine.
Interesting to me that the 2.0l DIT available as an option for the Malibu doesn't have special oil recommendations and also does not seem to have been recalled like the 1.5l was.

[/quote] Its capable of big MPG numbers, I can see that already in my Equinox with the 1.5T.
Just make sure you don't accidentally get old-stock Edge 5w30. Lots of old-stock around for a while. It should say "Gen 2" in the lower right hand corner of the dexos1 logo on the front of the bottle or jug. Later it should be easy to find, but not now.

So the dealership didn't overfill or underfill your car?
When I go in, I'll probably tell them to put in 4 quarts (under spec for mine) to make sure they don't overfill after their quick-drain method. [/quote]

They should know by checking the dipstick post fill and firing it up. If they're not doing that then it's likely not a dealership i would trust with my stuff anyway. You don't want a service record showing you asking for less oil than the vehicle takes.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
So the dealership didn't overfill or underfill your car?
When I go in, I'll probably tell them to put in 4 quarts (under spec for mine) to make sure they don't overfill after their quick-drain method.

Originally Posted By: ccap41
They should know by checking the dipstick post fill and firing it up. If they're not doing that then it's likely not a dealership i would trust with my stuff anyway. You don't want a service record showing you asking for less oil than the vehicle takes.
That won't work. If they drain in 4 minutes, they don't drain it all out. It needs to be drained for 2 hours (per Owner's Manual). If they fill it up with the full spec amount, it ends up overfilled, although it may look correctly filled if the oil is checked immediately after firing it up. This has been discussed on BITOG, the same problem being on some 3.6L Pentastars, 2.7L Ecoboosts, and my 1.5L Ecotec. Its tricky. DIYers at home have the best chance of getting it right! Not dealerships or lube shops in a hurry.

There was one story I posted about earlier, where an F150 2.7L Ecoboost owner found out way later that the last tech to change the oil resulted in 10 quarts total in a 6-quart sump. The oil change worker-bee put in the spec amount (6 quarts) but didn't drain it all out (4 minutes or so). He might have checked it after firing it up, and it looked full, yet he never accounted for the stuff stuck in the upper engine volumes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: George Bynum
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Dexos2 and good luck!
NO NO NO, not Dexos2, that/s for diesels. Dexos1 Gen2 is for the small turbo engines that have the LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition) issues that is made worse by some oil additives.

Correct sir! Thank you for clarifying my error.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: jstert
Believe me, there are times when I wish I didn't have a DIT engine.
Interesting to me that the 2.0l DIT available as an option for the Malibu doesn't have special oil recommendations and also does not seem to have been recalled like the 1.5l was.

That recall is the first one in history I know of which was solved by new engine computer software combined with being selective about which engine oil you use! Of course now the simple advice is you should be using dexos1 Gen2 oil, not the first generation stuff.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Just got an email from Chevy stating that we have a Stochastic Pre-Ignition (SPI) Causing Cracked Piston recall.

Program Description:

Certain 2016 and 2017 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 1.5L LFV engine may have a pre-ignition condition that could cause piston damage. If this condition occurs, the vehicle may perform poorly and oil consumption could increase. In addition, a service engine light may illuminate indicating an engine misfire. If the condition is present, and the repair below is not completed before multiple pre-ignition events occur, a piston may be damaged and the engine may need to be repaired or replaced.

Repair Description:

Reprogram the Engine Control Module (ECM) and change the engine oil with ACDelco dexos 1 Full-Synthetic motor oil of the part number as indicated in the parts section. (In Canada use the exact Mobil 1 part number specified in the parts section). It is very important that only oil with the correct part number is used in this repair.

Interesting that they now require a synthetic oil for this engine because of this recall. And that only the oil with the correct part number be used. Why would that be?

And Darn it! I just did my own oil change oil with M1 EP. Now they want to drain it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back