Boost Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you mean unlock your phone. Rooting it just means you gain root access to the operating system.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
How is it?

(*I just found someone that can ROOT my phone to BOOST mobile, or Page Plus. I choose Boost..)

Boost is basically a marketing brand of Sprint, so if they can unlock your phone to work with Boost, then most likely it will work on Sprint as well since it's the same network.

I have used Boost mobile for about 2.5 years. Some people complain about the Sprint network, but it works fine in my area and everywhere I travel. My cost is only $34/month for unlimited everything because I get the $15 credit for shrinking payments and we get a 15% discount through my wife's employer.

Another EXPLODING prepaid wireless carrier that is bound to get huge is Ting Mobile. They also use the Sprint network like Boost Mobile, BUT they let you bring your own Sprint phone and they only charge you for the minutes, text, and data that you use in usage blocks. Most consumers will save money by paying only for the services they use.

I hardly ever use my phone anymore, and it appears that I would save $10-$15/month by switching to Ting.

https://ting.com/

I just switched to ting.
2 smartphones
next month bill will be aprox 3.50$ more.

The best part is you call their support number and get real person in 2-3 rings.. no phone tree whatsoever.

tingbill.jpg

next month bill will be aprox 3.50$ more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I think you mean unlock your phone. Rooting it just means you gain root access to the operating system.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mod/4102499328.html

I believe they have to do some ESN trickery. My phone is "still active" on a Sprint account. So, with its chipset, it probably WILL work on Page, Virgin Mobile, Boost, OR "Ting" (new service! I like how it sounds...) but this will "salvage" my phone, as I believe someone got over on me.

I believe they have to do some ESN trickery. My phone is "still active" on a Sprint account. So, with its chipset, it probably WILL work on Page, Virgin Mobile, Boost, OR "Ting" (new service! I like how it sounds...) but this will "salvage" my phone, as I believe someone got over on me.

If the IMEI is still registered with Sprint they could block it on their towers, and if your new provider uses the Sprint towers, that could screw you over.

Unlocking your phone allows you to use another carrier's SIM card in it, which is what it sounds like you want to do. A phone doesn't have to be rooted for you to unlock it. And a phone doesn't have to be unlocked for you to root it. My S3 is rooted but still locked to Rogers for example.

If the IMEI is still registered with Sprint they could block it on their towers, and if your new provider uses the Sprint towers, that could screw you over.

Unlocking your phone allows you to use another carrier's SIM card in it, which is what it sounds like you want to do. A phone doesn't have to be rooted for you to unlock it. And a phone doesn't have to be unlocked for you to root it. My S3 is rooted but still locked to Rogers for example.

The only thing confusing me here is that Sprint does not use SIM cards...

Do you think the advertised service can turn it into a Boost or Page Plus phone from Sprint, and that is why it says "at 3G speeds?" Not sure what the guy will be doing.

Do you know from the sounds of it if he is flashing the phone with a BIOS or some image file from a phone with a different ESN number, so it thinks it is another S3 ?

And is this something i can do at home??? Maybe for free?? ......... I had to try hard not to waste my money today. is this something I can just buy a charger, and do at home ? Or do I need a "donor phone" and more know-how to change it from Sprint, or.. is there a program....

Only a dollar! I can't wait to see how well this works out for you
smirk.gif

$85.

I thought about it, and decided to:

1. Wait
2. Come here first
3. Get an education about how this goes
4. See if I could do it myself for free.

Only a dollar! I can't wait to see how well this works out for you
smirk.gif

$85.

I thought about it, and decided to:

1. Wait
2. Come here first
3. Get an education about how this goes
4. See if I could do it myself for free.

You can root it for free (instructions on XDA) but you can't unlock it for free. That said, you can buy the unlock code for like 10 bucks from one of the cell-unlocker shops on line or on E-bay.

You can root it for free (instructions on XDA) but you can't unlock it for free. That said, you can buy the unlock code for like 10 bucks from one of the cell-unlocker shops on line or on E-bay.

And, as to this "unlock code?" They aren't just bogus?? ..

Going to XDA now, but, my learning process is unique.

You just flash a rooted stock ROM with Odin, then install ClockworkMod from a root terminal. This will allow you to flash ROM's like CyanogenMod.

You just flash a rooted stock ROM with Odin, then install ClockworkMod from a root terminal. This will allow you to flash ROM's like CyanogenMod.

Sounds like the old 5W20 vs 5w30 argument.

Just kidding, the content of your post is above my pay grade.

So. You take the phone as-is, and put "Odin" on it? I take it there is a program that opens up and says "Flash phone" and it does? Or do you not do it on Sprint phone as-is, is that what they mean by taking an otherwise turning on phone and "brick"ing it?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Odin is a program that runs on your computer. You put your phone in download mode and flash a rooted stock ROM to it using this program.

The instructions are on XDA. Follow them to the letter and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back