Boeing 727 thread (inspired from the Airbus thread)

Back in the 90's, (then) USAir had 727 service from Charlotte to Denver. A little loud in the rear seats, but yeah, a sweet ride,

Back in the 90s, United and maybe one other airline had regularly scheduled 727 service OAK-SFO. Most of the time in the air would be spent turning around.

This thread has made me so nostalgic. Some airport memories from my childhood (not my pictures).

7271.JPG
7272.JPG

Which had nothing to do with the airframe nor the design.
Rode many miles in all of them and the MD11 after that … what I hated about the 80 was the tiny overhead bins - and I’m not one to drag too much stuff on the plane …

All the old jet style engines were really loud and the earliest ones smoked. The 727 in my opinion is one of the prettiest airliners ever designed.

Last edited:
During the evacuation of Kabul last summer, a 727-200F based in Africa was enlisted to help out. The article reports two trips out of Kabul; one with 308 pax, one with 329 pax. Original reporting in The Mail & Guardian of South Africa is behind a paywall.

I remember a retired Eastern Airlines pilot friend of mine telling me how well built the 727's were compared to the DC-9's and the MD-80. I recall watching the take offs at the airport back in the good old days (80's). The 727's needed the whole runway to take off compared to the newer, more powerful 757's of that time which could take off using half the runway. Somebody once told me the thrust from one engine on a 757 was greater than all three combined from a 727.

Here's some interesting trivia about airplane engines. From Pratt and Whitney, the -15/15a, 217, 219 denotes the thrust rating. So a B-727 engine produces about 15,000 lbs of thrust and is denoted as a JT8D-15. The MD-80's use a bigger version of the JT8D and it was designated a JT8D-219 which denoted 21,000 lbs of thrust. So three engines on a 727 produced 45,000 lbs of thrust and two engines on a MD-80 produced 42,000 lbs of thrust. I don't know the vessel weight off the top of my head but I'm sure it can be looked up.

On the high by-pass engines on the B757 (that used P&W engines), the first number denoted the engine family. These were 2000 series engines. The next number denoted the airframe manufacturer. In this case the number was a 0 which denoted Boeing. The last two numbers were the thrust rating of 37 which denotes 37,000 lbs of thrust. So a Boeing B757 would be equipped with a PW 2037. The B757 was unique in that it was a grossly overpowered narrow body jet. I loved them. Boeing tried to replace them with the B737 in numerous configurations but the 737 simply doesn't have the power that the 757 had.

If a P&W is hung on a MD-11 then they'd use a 4000 series engine making about 60,000 lbs of thrust. That engine designation would be a 4460 since the airframe is represented by a 4 for McDonnell-Douglas.

Airbus engine code is 1 so the engine would be a 4157/4160 or some variant thereabouts.

So no, one 2037 engine on a B757 does not make more power than three JT8D-15 engines on a 727. The most powerful B757 that I've seen was equipped with 2040 engines so even those were a few hundred pounds of thrust short of a 727. They're still quite impressive.

The Boeing 757 with RB-211 engines has 43,100 lbs of thrust.

A big performance improvement over the P&W 2037.

The 757-200 with those engines, does, in fact have impressive performance.

The 757-300 with those engines is a noticeably weaker performer, but still better than a lot of newer airplanes.

I honestly hate to see the B757 go. It was fast, powerful, gorgeous... everything that you'd dream of. I cut my teeth on the B757 at United in Denver and that's probably why I have such a love for them. I don't like RR engines though :)

I worked at Fedex for 35 years, we were flying 727's until 2013. For many years Fedex sold hush kits to other operators to reduce noise and keep planes compliant.

There is still an ex-Fedex 727 parked at DEN. I'll get a picture of it next time I'm there. The logo is off the tail but you still can see the outline.

There is still an ex-Fedex 727 parked at DEN. I'll get a picture of it next time I'm there. The logo is off the tail but you still can see the outline.
Thanks, please do!! I know when they were retired many were donated to various schools. That could possibly be one of them. Here is a line from the below attached article.

Since 2000, FedEx has donated 78 of its Boeing 727 aircraft to aviation schools, municipal and airport fire departments, colleges and museums for training and education.

Back