BMW 328D?

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
If one is thinking about a diesel for fuel mileage, remember that the modern BMW 2.0 Turbo will deliver in that department if you drive it gently. My '15 328i regularly returned 25-27 with 70% city driving. Yes, it required premium, but you know that going in.

I only had the car 4 months; it was totaled in a rain flood. So I never got to do a real road trip in it. But I used to fill up in the early morning, drive my 12 miles to work with 7 of those on the highway at 60-65, and the fuel monitor would report 38 mpg before I got off the highway and started stop-and-go through the city streets. If it would have returned 35 on a regular all-highway road trip, I'd have been very pleased.

I'm sure it would've returned that kind of mileage. My 2009 with the N/A 3.0L inline six gets 30 mpg consistently on the highway. I averaged 30.2 mpg on my trip from VA to CT last summer with an average speed of 80 mph.

I believe Car and Driver reported that a new 330i they tested returned 34 mpg at a 75 mph cruising speed.

I'm not sure what is so different between US German cars and European German Cars.

My Father had an F30 320d brand new in 2012. I believe exactly the same as the American 328d. My Father kept this 320d for 7 years, replacing it with Al Alfa Giulia last year. It had well over 140k on the clock, had 20k OCI's with whatever bulk oil the local independent garage put in it and used the cheapest diesel he could find. In 7 years and 140k+ it never once went wrong, ever. The only thing that was replaced that wasn't a 'consumable' was the front sway bar bushes. Fantastic bit of kit!

I think that a lot of US drivers could not care less if they follow their car's service schedule. I've actually had more than one inept fool brag to me that they have never taken their owners handbook out of the glove box- never mind opened it and read it.
I've had 12 BMWs over the past 37 years and service and repair costs have been quite reasonable- but then I maintain my vehicles to a very high standard.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
I'm not sure what is so different between US German cars and European German Cars.

My Father had an F30 320d brand new in 2012. I believe exactly the same as the American 328d. My Father kept this 320d for 7 years, replacing it with Al Alfa Giulia last year. It had well over 140k on the clock, had 20k OCI's with whatever bulk oil the local independent garage put in it and used the cheapest diesel he could find. In 7 years and 140k+ it never once went wrong, ever. The only thing that was replaced that wasn't a 'consumable' was the front sway bar bushes. Fantastic bit of kit!

When it comes to culture of car maintenance, US is FAR behind Europe. In Europe, vehicle is part of family. Here, it is just another appliance.

When it comes to culture of car maintenance, US is FAR behind Europe. In Europe, vehicle is part of family. Here, it is just another appliance

I think if you own a German car you need to share this gentleman's philosophy...
think that a lot of US drivers could not care less if they follow their car's service schedule. I've actually had more than one inept fool brag to me that they have never taken their owners handbook out of the glove box- never mind opened it and read it.
I've had 12 BMWs over the past 37 years and service and repair costs have been quite reasonable- but then I maintain my vehicles to a very high standard.

I think driving on the autobahn creates a culture of making sure your vehicle is in tip top shape.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Modern diesel is trash. Get a gasoline burner or a hybrid or a PEV or something.

33.gif

I've only had my BMW diesel for about 6 months and 7K miles but I think it's a huge step up from the MK6 Jetta TDI that it replaced. In every way.

I've got AWD that's biased to the rear, more ground clearance, 2 extra gears, much better seats and sound proofing, adaptive LED headlamps, and until recently when we started to work from home it would return 36-38MPGs on my daily 200 mile commute into/out of Chicago.

The only things I've had to do since buying it was an oil change and a set of filters all around.

What I would advise is watch for transfer case issues (specifically output flange slipping) on AWD 3er diesels, as they are known weak points. As for the driving dynamics, I couldn't be happier, and this is considering I'm still on the $&%^$ run-flats. Can't wait to put proper tires on it.

Back