Blue Collar Uniforms

Have any of you found the blue collar uniform to be uncomfortable to wear at anytime and would you consider the prospective employer's uniform requirement to be a major obstacle in seeking employment at said employer?

I'm going to leave it at that. I don't want to describe any explicit details. You're not going to want to know the details anyway. :oops:

Wore something like this fellow for a long time and no never found it uncomfortable.

Navy.jpg

We had a uniform contract for our Techs. This included laundering them also. It was with a company that guaranteed the uniforms were clean and smelled clean. They did. I wore uniforms when I was young and working at a Chevrolet dealership back in 1977 - 1981. Those were laundered and smelled like varsol when you swapped 5 for 5 every week. I guess I got used to it and everyone else working around me smelled the same. Our parts department and service advisors wore a collared button down and khakis. They were laundered also.
When it’s 90+ degrees in the shop everyone stunk at the end of the day. If wearing a uniform was a deal breaker for me working in the automotive field back then I reckon I would have been in the soup line….

Long ago service station uniforms were made from 100% polyester and were poorly fitted. I had to wear them as that was dictated by contract of the station owner. They too smelled from harsh laundering, and I am not sure what they used to clean them. I could not wait to get them off at the end of my shift.

I wore one decades ago working as a park ranger and it was uncomfortable in summer, and the pants too thin in the winter, but I did like not putting wear on my own clothing and their doing the cleaning and repair service. They were 100% poly but didn't fit too bad and had no chemical smell.

I just had to remember to take the uniforms in on pickup day. We had a boot allowance too but unfortunately only at the local Redwing store. I guess that beats walmart, lol.

Its a plus if the company offers you uniforms -- paid -- that is. Its very rare these days though. Myself, just wear my worn out Levis for work pants & comfortable shirts/sweatshirts/flannels that have some wear. If there paid for -- jump on it.

100% cotton: YES, 60/40 cotton/poly: MAYBE, 100% poly: NO (I'll buy my own) or wear cotton T/shirt underwear

I’ve had them almost all of my adult work life, I just started washing them myself (actually the wife usually does it)-when the uniform company washed them, whatever detergent they used rapidly faded them, and their dryer shrunk the shirts so much that sewn-on company & name patches would be straining the stitches. When the wife started washing them, & drying the shirts on hangera-the lifespan increased exponentially! I have work shirts that still look halfway decent at over 6 years old.

Back