BFGoodrich g-force Super Sport A/S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a set on the Astra now and WOW. They are very fast and have a high load rating. I am really picky, have a lot of experience with a/s tires and they are now one of my favourites.

If you think you want them, get them and you will not be sorry.

Some say the only downside is wet grip, I have not had the problem yet, even with stability turned off. A few Audi people I know have tried them and they like the sharp handling and have no issues at all.

Here is my earlier thread...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1589787#Post1589787

The classic dilemma in wet is grip vs tread depth. Gripper tires generally wear faster and have less tread depth at a given mileage. That is, do you want bald grippy tires or ones with less grip and more tread later.

In the BFG, I see a balance toward wear, with good wet grip for a typical street tire. The other thing the BFG has going for it is the handling in general.

Post the size and the price. The deal we got on 225/45-17s was too good to pass up, and we are glad we got them.

I've been on a set of BFG SS A/S for approximately 22000 km so far.
Here's my impressions:

Pros:
- Tremendous lateral grip. You really feel the G's on wide sweeping turns;
- Decent snow traction, for an ultra-high performance all season radial, not too far behind dedicated winters;
- Never had a problem hydroplaning (I live in Vancouver, BC)

Cons:
- Lost 2 mpg (higher rolling resistance) at current tire pressures (39.5F/33.5R) compared to a previous set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S;
- While lateral grip is awesome, initial turn-in is a little mushy, especially on highways (I can feel the back-end wobble during fast lane changes);

I run the above BFGs at a higher pressure than others. Fronts are at 39.5 PSI, Rears are at 33.5 PSI. Placard says 33F/31R. I don't notice any difference in the amount of grip at the higher pressures. At the placard tire pressures, I lost 5 or more MPG.

Hope this helps.

AW

They are my current 3 season tire, and I am VERY impressed with them as far as cornering and acceleration/braking grip goes!
Sometimes I forget they are a 400 treadwear all-season tire!

I also run them at a higher pressure (my car calls for 30psi all around, I run these at 38-40 front, 34-36 rear).
They were ok in light snow, but at a 245 (/50-16) width, I did not expect much, and go with a dedicated winter snow in this season.
They ARE the stickiest non-winter/snow tire I have ever had in cold DRY (
This car is very tricky in the wet (especially with a 4.10 axle ratio!!), so NO street tire is going to grip in the wet very well. (I've even had Hoosier DOT WET road race tires on it and you STILL must use some sense to keep it under control.)

I am thinking about trying the Toyo 888s in the summer, and just driving like a granny in the rain on them.

These should be *the* hot tire for performance all-season drivers, but they had a lame review after their 1st excellent TR review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back