Best/Worst Advice You Ever Got?

It might help if your work environment had more women….

I personally know 3 men that found their future wife on dating sites. I’m not kidding.
+1

Dating sites aren't bad, but only if you view them as an opportunity to meet people and see where things go. It is hard to meet people in our current climate unless you are in college or frequently attend a lot of social events. I work all the time, and the only interactions I have at work are with coworkers, most of them much older than me. Dating apps allow me to meet people I otherwise would not have met.

Once a very long time ago an old sage told this young boy, "Follow your dreams." I tried that repeatedly but it never worked so I did what was expedient. Years later that admonition became possible and today when it is time to get up, mostly I just roll over and go right back to sleep.

When I was an apprentice mechanic I asked a wizened German master mechanic what is the proper torque for this? He said, "five foot pounds before it breaks".

Ever get any pearls or bad advice?
my MIL was in hospital, and my wife questioned the nurse why her mother wasn't on a diabetic diet.... the nurse's response was that is what insulin is for. No shidt... just give the old girl more insulin... :)

While I was sitting in a park pavilion during one of the days when all the aircraft were grounded in the United States right after 9/11/2001 I read what someone had previously scrolled on top of one of the picnic tables and it's stuck in my mind. "Life is a s#!+ sandwich, the more bread you have the less s#!+ you have to eat.

Best boss I ever had told me: Impress MY boss, not me. He hired me with no interview needed.

I worked him for 4 years and had advancements every year.

Last edited:
Forgot one that my dad has always told me and pops up in my head alot: If you want to act like a pig then go live with the pigs.

Best advice, my grandfather told me " Losers smoke and use drugs, don't be a loser".

Also good advice from an RCMP officer " It's easy to tell when a cop is lying, their lips are moving ".

Worst advice " Get a union job, then you'll never have to work again ".

Robert Deniro gave me great advice (not in person but through a movie): “You talkin’ to me??!!”

Sometimes we listen to noise and get involved when someone wasn’t talking to us, and things escalate.

Again the worst advice was given to me by my mom: “Don’t get greedy.”

The context was selling all my Amazon.com stock in 2001, that I had since 1998.

She bought into the pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered way of investment.

Best advice, my grandfather told me " Losers smoke and use drugs, don't be a loser".

Also good advice from an RCMP officer " It's easy to tell when a cop is lying, their lips are moving ".

Worst advice " Get a union job, then you'll never have to work again ".
My buddy who grew up in the mid 70s said he came up with this idea to have school free drug zones, but no one listened.

Here it is 2023 and such places exist—and they don’t work. He was wrong.

Worst: The assumption that "working hard" trumps "ability". What a load of horse manure.

Best: Start saving when you're young.
Working hard is great but more and more I find in 2023 it's WHO you know sometimes. There are so many jobs that want "specialty" degrees. The one that rubs me the wrong way is a "hospitality " degree. I worked for a nice three-diamond hotel for seven years. There isn't anything in any book that I didn't learn, yet I've met a number of people who got hired at a high end hotel because of a piece of paper that says their awesome.

Best: Don’t trade happiness for money.

Worst: I was told not to invest in the market (2008 financial crisis) cause the world was coming to an end. I was in my mid twenties and fresh out of the military. I figured I didn’t have much anyways so what the heck. Man, I’m glad I didn’t listen to those people.

Thinking back, it is crazy how many times I have survived the supposed end of the world for only being in my 40’s. Y2K, 9/11, 2008 crisis, 2012 Mayan Calendar nonsense, COVID, now everyone is predicting next year the sky will fall, again… I must be part cockroach.

My buddy who grew up in the mid 70s said he came up with this idea to have school free drug zones, but no one listened.

Here it is 2023 and such places exist—and they don’t work. He was wrong.

I've never smoked, or done drugs.
Been drunk once in my 28 years on this spinning rock.

My sister, 3 years older than me, was running with the wrong crowd about age 14. We were being raised by our grandparents at the time, as our parents died when I was a baby. My grandparents sent my sister to live on a farm in the middle of nowhere for a few years. She was home schooled there, no access to town unless they drove her.
Cleaned her up, she graduated early, self paced curriculum.
When she came back to live with us, she was 17, and I had seen her twice in 3 years. My big sister sat me down, and told me that if I ever needed to talk about anything that I could come to her. But if she caught me smoking, drinking, or using drugs she would beat the you know what out of me 😂.
Today we are very close, and I love my sister.
She married a great guy, has 2 kids, and is an RCMP officer, who tries to if at all possible to get kids to see drugs are bad. My sister, and her husband, won't even have a beer at a BBQ.
Me, maybe 6 drinks a month, usually meet my boss and coworkers friday after work, at a pub, where he buys us all dinner, and 1 drink. But having more than the 1 drink is against the rules my boss has. So we each have 1, sit around and laugh, eat, and leave. That 1.5 hours some Friday nights is pretty much my whole social life.

Best: Don’t trade happiness for money.

Worst: I was told not to invest in the market (2008 financial crisis) cause the world was coming to an end. I was in my mid twenties and fresh out of the military. I figured I didn’t have much anyways so what the heck. Man, I’m glad I didn’t listen to those people.

Thinking back, it is crazy how many times I have survived the supposed end of the world for only being in my 40’s. Y2K, 9/11, 2008 crisis, 2012 Mayan Calendar nonsense, COVID, now everyone is predicting next year the sky will fall, again… I must be part cockroach.
To thine own self be true. 😁

To thine own self be true. 😁
Oh my goodness my dad literally told me that throughout 11-12th grade! And it is great advice.

And since I went to the same college that he did (legacy was a thing in my time), he also told me what they said in his convocation: “Look to your left, and look to your right. One of you may not be returning next year.”

+1

Dating sites aren't bad, but only if you view them as an opportunity to meet people and see where things go. It is hard to meet people in our current climate unless you are in college or frequently attend a lot of social events. I work all the time, and the only interactions I have at work are with coworkers, most of them much older than me. Dating apps allow me to meet people I otherwise would not have met.

My best friend met his wife on a dating site, been 6 years already, and happily married.

Best advice: Price yourself high and see what happens. - Anonymous
Worst advice: Bite off more than you can chew. - Alanis Morissette :ROFLMAO:

Back