Best/Worst Advice You Ever Got?

Depends on how you define "intelligent". I know of many multimillionaires from landscaping and construction. Not college smart /intelligent but have their area of expertise.
I think intelligence, its definition, and application is irrelveant to a person's success and destiny in life. I think the key to success might be as simple as to "always take just one more step"--- will find great success regaurdless of one's IQ test or any other intelligence measurement.

Best , buy house age 21 (very down market) and put some money into 401k. Both have resulted in good financial spot.

Worst stay at safe job and work extra hard you’ll get rewarded. You need to move a lot to be promoted and paid well/rewarded.
Not sure about that, I’ve only had 3 jobs in my career and put it this way I’ve got experience.

Everything is risk v reward. We have folks at my co 50/40/30/20/10 year seniority. I’ve seen a guy whom I think needs a walker. Our benefits stink and our healthcare is expensive. Why would anyone stay 50 years? Btw our revenue is 5+ billion so we’re not big but we’re not tiny. I’d have to think the grass is not greener, every situation is unique, but eventually market forces kick in. Very likely my employer pays above market value for positions and I really don’t see dead weight as the culture goes against it.

The word safe was mentioned. Imho that’s more pertinent at the end of one’s career as opposed to beginning. But I’m old enough to have two defined benefit pensions so that’s part of the stay factor that isn’t in play for someone starting out last 10 years.

the best advice will come from your own body. listening to what your body tell you is smartest thing to do. it's key to a long life. it can also be considered a warning. a lot of people die at a young age because they did not listen to what their body told them.

There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy.

Friedrich Nietzsche

So, way back in the mid 70's, 12 y/o or so me took a bus to the local airport....I was obsessed even then. One of the owners, an older gentlemen and local businessman, offered me a ride in his beautiful Cessna. Afterwards, I mentioned that I could never see myself owning an airplane and he, somewhat angrily said sure you can; "...get good grades, work hard and don't do drugs!"

Hmm...

So, way back in the mid 70's, 12 y/o or so me took a bus to the local airport....I was obsessed even then. One of the owners, an older gentlemen and local businessman, offered me a ride in his beautiful Cessna. Afterwards, I mentioned that I could never see myself owning an airplane and he, somewhat angrily said sure you can; "...get good grades, work hard and don't do drugs!"

Hmm...
Reminds me of 6 years ago, pres of our co came around to say goodbye. I said hey Joe, you have a 911, right? (997 Carrera S). I always wanted one, but I think that ship has sailed.

“John, no it hasn’t. It took me 30 years. You have plenty of time.”

Well, 6 years has gone by and I’m no closer today than I was then!

IMO the assumption is that the ability (analytical, soft skills, etc.) is there after which it's all about motivation to reach ones potential. However, not everyone has the potential to become a billionaire let alone a millionaire. Intelligence and/or physical attributes do matter. I've known unmotivated intelligent people who were not successful. I've never known a motivated unintelligent person who was successful.

I mean I didn't get looks from NFL scouts due to a lack of motivation.
100% wrong brotha. I know tons of dumb successful business owners. They out worked everyone. Took all the business they could get, hired the right supporting cast. Out worked thier competition. Ill take a hardworking individual any day of the week vs a lazy smart guy. Life isn't sports.....BTW Im pretty sure Floyd Mayweather just learned how to read a few years ago!

Last edited:
I've never known a motivated unintelligent person who was successful.
I think I know several?

Best Advice -

if it don't go force it, if it breaks it needed fixing anyway

No one ever learned anything while talking

If you meet an jerk in the morning, you met one in the morning. If you meet jerks all day, maybe your the jerk . Replace jerk with a word I can't use here.

Fail Forward Faster - meaning if its not clear, try, learn from your mistakes, try again.

In roughly 1983, I happened to be on campus at my high school, from which I had graduated, with honors/top of my class, two years earlier, and I ran into the HeadMaster. A well-respected senior educator and mentor. He remembered me, and I mentioned my plans to join the Navy upon college graduation.

He shook his head and said, "Don't join the military, it would be a complete waste of your talent."

I was shocked.

I ignored his advice - and ended up both joining the Navy, and pursuing a dream - flying fighters.

I look back on my life with gratitude for the opportunity to pursue that dream. Those days in the F-14 were special.

I am so very glad that I ignored the sage advice of the well-respected educator on that day.

Best: World doesn't care about your problems.

Worst: Try it. If you fail at least you tried.

As a young man, a father of a friend of mine gave me advice that, over the years, has come to mean more and more to me. They were only two words that hold meaning in many facets of life.

“Always show”

• Love
Reactions: GON
Pay yourself first and pay yourself larger, much larger than any bill. Somehow this got me into saving money. Glad I heard it my early 20's.

As for worst? I'm not sure, but I think I've created more trouble for myself than much any bad advice I have actually listened too.

In roughly 1983, I happened to be on campus at my high school, from which I had graduated, with honors/top of my class, two years earlier, and I ran into the HeadMaster. A well-respected senior educator and mentor. He remembered me, and I mentioned my plans to join the Navy upon college graduation.

He shook his head and said, "Don't join the military, it would be a complete waste of your talent."

I was shocked.

I ignored his advice - and ended up both joining the Navy, and pursuing a dream - flying fighters.

I look back on my life with gratitude for the opportunity to pursue that dream. Those days in the F-14 were special.

I am so very glad that I ignored the sage advice of the well-respected educator on that day.

I’m not surprised he said not to join military back in 1983. Lots of folks are very anti military after seeing how things ended in Vietnam.

That was a decade after Vietnam and I’m sure he didn’t mean to offend you.

Back