Best/Worst Advice You Ever Got?

Once a very long time ago an old sage told this young boy, "Follow your dreams." I tried that repeatedly but it never worked so I did what was expedient. Years later that admonition became possible and today when it is time to get up, mostly I just roll over and go right back to sleep.

When I was an apprentice mechanic I asked a wizened German master mechanic what is the proper torque for this? He said, "five foot pounds before it breaks".

Ever get any pearls or bad advice?

It's easier to remember good advice than bad. In 2006, a woman told me to put as much extra money as I can towards my mortgage.

Same woman told me she researches how much it costs to replace tires, on a new car, before deciding to buy it, also smart (how about those BMW and MB SUVs with sport packs I think some tires can be $620 ea. Doing that today is even more important, when a car can have 21, 22, 23", in making sure there's a tire you'd actually want in the respective sizes, it's not 23>22>21).

But as far as bad advice? My mom told me to sell all my amazon stock in 2001, when it had tripled. That is life changing.

1692980791579.jpg

Worst: Buy GM stock..

Best: Not sure who told me but they said even experts are wrong time to time take anything they say with a grain of salt. Served me really well over the years. Love when anyone says "I have xx of years experience".. I'm walking the other direction.

Best was start saving money when you are young...early 20s....Worst was buy a FORD....
I was eligible for 401k 3 years before I did it. Same with stock purchase plan. Young, and foolish.

My boss in 2018, very high salary, confided in me he couldn’t afford to save nor do 401. I was asking him about some bs email I got on a deferred comp seminar. He had 3 kids in college and just ordinary schools (ordinary is expensive, elite is cheap).

Worst: The assumption that "working hard" trumps "ability". What a load of horse manure.

Best: Start saving when you're young.
Depends what you are doing of course, the one thing I see in pretty much everyone I know that is successful, is that they do put in the effort. The people who have lots of smarts and work hard are usually most successful. But being smart and lazy, doesn't seem to work out well, unless they are way way up there in intelligence.

Worst: The assumption that "working hard" trumps "ability". What a load of horse manure.

Best: Start saving when you're young.
I 100% agree. Sometimes it's who you know etc. My biggest gripe is the "hospitality management " degree Universities are schlepping. There in nothing in a text book that you can't pick up on actually working at a hotel.

AL. Williams, high school football coach turned self-made billionaire might not concur with you. Art Williams will say it is mental toughness, instead of ability.

Worst: "Buy this Corvette." I did. Too many times.
Best: "If this '67 Corvette at all fits your budget, buy it." I did not. A perfect, original $25K rag top and now it is probably $100K. Perfect 327/350 blue/white/blue 4 speed.

The same goes for our home here. There was no question I wanted to live here, just thought I could never swing it. Worked out OK...

AL. Williams, high school football coach turned self-made billionaire might not concur with you. Art Williams will say it is mental toughness, instead of ability.

IMO the assumption is that the ability (analytical, soft skills, etc.) is there after which it's all about motivation to reach ones potential. However, not everyone has the potential to become a billionaire let alone a millionaire. Intelligence and/or physical attributes do matter. I've known unmotivated intelligent people who were not successful. I've never known a motivated unintelligent person who was successful.

I mean I didn't get looks from NFL scouts due to a lack of motivation.

Last edited:
Best: You know nothing.

My first boss out of college told me this. He didn't say it out of meanness or self-sanctimony. His point was that you should always start off assuming that you know nothing about a given subject. Learn from experts. Be a great listener. And then gradually apply your talents while you keep seeking better advice and opportunities from those who have climbed those mountains.

Worst: Why don't you go to law school?

Never did that. Never wanted to. Never will.

Best: You know nothing.

My first boss out of college told me this. He didn't say it out of meanness or self-sanctimony. His point was that you should always start off assuming that you know nothing about a given subject. Learn from experts. Be a great listener. And then gradually apply your talents while you keep seeking better advice and opportunities from those who have climbed those mountains.

Worst: Why don't you go to law school?

Never did that. Never wanted to. Never will.
Got good advice from a cop I got into a fight with (it happened back then).

He apologized after putting me into a chokehold. He told me you’re young, so people will forgive you when you make mistakes. But your attitude and demeanor could get me, and you, killled. I’m sorry about what happened. I do remember feeling remorse and that he was sincere.

What led to it? He hit my Porsche mirror with his baton and told me to move the car. It was parked in a no standing zone.

Back