best way to buy a new vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by WhyMe
i am gonna get a new ride for my kid soon. in the past i have done the negotiate with dealer stuff and i hated it. So these days a lot can be done online with buying services. also costco does it also.

So whats as good buying service? those that have used them, do you feel you got a good deal?

Best writeup I have seen is this one:

https://www.4runners.com/threads/so-you-want-to-buy-a-4runner.3318/

Fabulous and worth every minute spent.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by WhyMe
i am gonna get a new ride for my kid soon. in the past i have done the negotiate with dealer stuff and i hated it. So these days a lot can be done online with buying services. also costco does it also.

So whats as good buying service? those that have used them, do you feel you got a good deal?

Best writeup I have seen is this one:

https://www.4runners.com/threads/so-you-want-to-buy-a-4runner.3318/

Fabulous and worth every minute spent.

That is good.

I should add that I negotiated a price in Virginia Beach, but wanted a certain color.

They promised to look. Three weeks later - no truck in that color, even though I had found three in the "5 state area" in which they said they were looking.

I got my deposit back.

I flew out to Denver, found the color I wanted, walked in, and negotiated from there. The usual BS above was repeated. I got the same price.

In Denver.

So, I got EXACTLY what I wanted, color, options, trim but was willing to travel about 2,000 miles to make it happen...

I kept the truck out there for another year, before driving it back to VB.

1. Be willing to walk away when the deal is not good
2. Negotiate through email / internet / phone instead of in person in the dealership
3. Be patient, don't rush.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
1. 2. Negotiate through email / internet / phone instead of in person in the dealership

Do both.
Get a price via email and then visit a dealer who doesn't know what you already have in hand and negotiate from there.
This tactic saved me more than half a grand buying my Accord Hybrid.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
1. Be willing to walk away when the deal is not good
2. Negotiate through email / internet / phone instead of in person in the dealership
3. Be patient, don't rush.

And drive the car!
just last month, I wanted a subaru impreza 5 door 5M, but I test drove two, and both were highly defective and I had the deal within 500 bucks of where I wanted it. One had and bad engine knock and the other had steering so wonky I could barely keep it straight. Also the car is not that great. The VW jetta outclasses it so bad. They are both ugly cars. But the jetta looks "expensive ugly" and the subaru just looks ungainly. Maybe the base model Impreza doesnt have the good suspension stuff the upper models have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back