Buy what you want or buy what you need?

Here’s an example - my Tundra.

The requirement - tow rating of 7,500# (the approximate weight of the Packard on a trailer) and ability to serve as a daily driver, seeing fewer than 10,000 miles/year.

As I shopped trucks (I initially wanted a Tacoma, but equipped as I wanted it, the tow rating wasn’t there) I looked at all the major brands and trim levels.

Requirement would have been met with the “work truck” cloth interior trim level.

I bought the 1794 trim level. Absolute top of the line with leather, heated and air conditioned seats, etc.

A bit of want mixed in with the need.
Just to add your thought, we have the 4R if we ever need to tow ~5k. If it’s ever worse, my dad has an expedition that can haul ~9.8k. I can see hauling my tractor in the future, but that’s it. We don’t have any plans for needing to haul a classic car… yet. Lol

A truck with a bed would be nice, but I would be happy with a Subaru too. The Subaru would almost fit my needs more than a truck IMO. Both vehicles are almost a want/ need.

This is one truck I’d like. It comes out next year.
IMG_6224.jpeg

It took me 4 Corvettes (and waaaaay too much $$) to find out nobody needs a Corvette. But I still have one, sorta.
Nobody needs a twin turbo V-12 convertible.

It only seats two. The dogs don’t fit in the back. It doesn’t carry much luggage.

That car had nothing to do with practicality or need. I knew that when I bought it.

I’m driving it today - top down - and I’m so glad we got it!

It only seats two. The dogs don’t fit in the back. It doesn’t carry much luggage.

That car had nothing to do with practicality or need. I knew that when I bought it.

My man!

No offense to Taco owners but I would consider it a sentence to drive one on purpose 60-100 miles/day. They are not particularly comfortable in any way beyond the fuel penalty. Cool trucks but not commuters.

Gonna go out on a limb and guess that gorgeous V-12 roadster fit in the budget when you bought it. I, however, lacked your wisdom and learned the hard way. I hate it when that happens! Doh!

Guy across the street has one; the sound is pure heaven! His wife drives a Model Y....

Say youre new vehicle shopping and you drive anywhere from 60-100 miles a day. Would you buy what you wanted or buy what you needed strictly for appliance purposes.

Anyways, I really want a Tacoma or Frontier. I also feel I’ve needed a truck more and more with our home remodeling. Base 4WD models are 33-37k although I’d prefer something a little more loaded.

On the other hand, our local Subaru dealer has (I assume base) Foresters for around 32k. AWD, plenty of room for my work stuff, and according to google a 3k towing capacity. (The most I would tow would be a little trailer with firewood… 1500 lbs or so.)

Also, any other similar models to the Forster I should consider? Thanks.

answer to that depends on where you are financially.

the secret to my financial success during my younger years revolved around not making any purchases
unless I could answer Yes to all four of these questions. Following those rules until I was well in my 50's allowed me to
mostly ignore those rules nowadays...

1. Do I NEED it? ( not WANT it)
2. Can I afford it? ( back then I paid cash for cars)
3. Do I have a place to keep it
4. Will I use it more than once.

+1

I've commuted 100+ miles a day before, 2+ hours in the car per day. You definitely notice the difference between an appliance and something you enjoy driving a bit more. I don't miss my commute, but I do miss hitting redline merging onto an empty highway in the BMW at 6am.
A great point. I commuted 100+ a day for many years in a Lexus LS400, Lexus LS430, and a BMW 540i. The drive was so much more tolerable than the 6 years that I did the drive in a Prius that I convinced myself I "needed." Don't get me wrong, the Prius is an amazing piece of engineering and was supremely reliable, but spending 500+ hours a year commuting pushed the needle to the "want" side for me.

A recent computer purchase was $500 when $300 would have sufficed. For $200 extra I benefited from increased screen size (+ 1.7"), memory X 2, SSD size X 4, backlit keyboard. You know I'm worth it when I played the stock market and CD and made some money to fund this and my set of tires.

If you test drive the Tacoma, pay attention to low-cushion seat ergonomics. Does your bum fall asleep? Can you handle the legs stretched out straight and the tunnel against the outside of your foot? Can you do that 100 miles per day?

at 100 miles per day, will you be ok with the truck’s ride? They don’t ride as well as cars or SUVs, nothing with a solid axle can, though some are better than others.

toyota trucks in general seem to lag in the mpg department. Tacoma’s are under criticism by some for de-torquing the engine’s low end, forcing it to shift higher like a car. They aren’t the only ones doing it, but the yota crowd noticed.

I would strongly consider a nice SUV and a utility trailer. I’ll throw the xc60 in for good mention in mpg/performance and excellent ergo. Nobody beats Volvos in the seat department. I’d gladly consider one myself.

Back