Best wax found at the local auto parts store

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used a few waxes, NXT is great for ease of use, but in FL it just doesn't seem to hold up for more than a couple months. Meguire's Wash and Wax is great for in between waxes and good ol NU Finish gives a great durable long lasting beading/protection and won't break the bank and is easy to find. Amen.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
What is this staining I keep hearing ???
21.gif

Many products stain black trim. Once dried, there will be white residue -- which is very difficult to remove from black textured trim. Even if you think you removed it (with some sort of dressing), it will come back after it rains. I used to assume that all products stained trim -- as most OTC ones used to. That was until I found the detailing forums.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Another opinion? Or is this supported by facts. Not saying they aren't, but by what does one make this assumption.

MeGuires, Mothers, Turtle Wax and other major manufactures all make excellant products. To think otherwise is ignoring the facts these companies have the resources and labs to bring out products of a higher quality then the much smaller companies do not.

Yes, opinion based on trial and error. I've used all these products therefore I know how well they shine and how long they last. Zaino is the only finishing wax I've ever used that's held up for a year. Meguiar's finishing waxes are lucky to last a month or two. Apparently all their resources and labs aren't doing them much good...

That's been my experience as well. I used to think Meguiar's was great too, then I tried Zaino and Duragloss.

Staining can be permanent since it alters the plastic depending on the solvents in the product.

I know some are looking for the $5 (want to spend next to nothing) but even a $15 sealant/wax is very cost effective in the grand scheme of things if you apply it properly (thinly).

If you look all the other products you use to maintain (soap, detail sprays, tire shines, interior cleaners, etc), the wax/sealant is not that much.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
What is this staining I keep hearing ???
21.gif

Many products stain black trim. Once dried, there will be white residue -- which is very difficult to remove from black textured trim. Even if you think you removed it (with some sort of dressing), it will come back after it rains. I used to assume that all products stained trim -- as most OTC ones used to. That was until I found the detailing forums.

If you get too it fast enough hot soapy( i.e. dish detergent )water will remove the white residue from trim. If you let it sit for a month and bake in it won't come out. However, get to it when you 1st notice it after waxing and you can almost always get it off with good old hot soapy water.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Meguiars
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

100% agree! This is the best readily available wax IMO for the average person. Meguiar's NXT is a good product and gives a good shine but it just does not last at all. Gold Class is their best product line for the DIY'er IMO.

You said it yourself, Meguiar's finishing products just don't last, which is why I don't recommend them. Other products such as Durgloss, Zaino, and Klasse last much longer, and look at least as good, if not better. However, I know Zaino isn't avaliable in local stores, and I don't know if Klasse products are or not.

Don't put words in my mouth and drag me into your anti Meguiar's propoganda campaign. I don't agree with you at all. You are out to lunch on your assesment of Meguiar's products for the most part! I like and use Meguiar's products all the time and they are great. And if you read what I posted I said the NXT wax didn't last. I never said Gold Class didn't. Gold Class is awesome wax and lasts just fine for me.

Unbelievable.
33.gif

FWIW, I just waxed my new Mustang GT first with (horrors) Black Magic liquid, then put a coat of McGuiar's Gold Class Carnuba. The shine and depth is just fantastic! The car is garaged and for weekend fun though. For my daily driver/station car Nu-Finish works great and lasts a long time. This stuff ain't a religion for me.

Meguiars
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

100% agree! This is the best readily available wax IMO for the average person. Meguiar's NXT is a good product and gives a good shine but it just does not last at all. Gold Class is their best product line for the DIY'er IMO.

You said it yourself, Meguiar's finishing products just don't last, which is why I don't recommend them. Other products such as Durgloss, Zaino, and Klasse last much longer, and look at least as good, if not better. However, I know Zaino isn't avaliable in local stores, and I don't know if Klasse products are or not.

Don't put words in my mouth and drag me into your anti Meguiar's propoganda campaign. I don't agree with you at all. You are out to lunch on your assesment of Meguiar's products for the most part! I like and use Meguiar's products all the time and they are great. And if you read what I posted I said the NXT wax didn't last. I never said Gold Class didn't. Gold Class is awesome wax and lasts just fine for me.

Unbelievable.
33.gif

And if you'd bother reading my posts you'd notice that I've directly compared both NXT and Gold to other waxes and I found the Meguiar's products to be inferior. I'm not brand bashing, just stating results. I'm sorry they don't agree with your likes.

And once again, not readily available at your local auto parts store. This is what the orignal op was asking, not what was available overall.

If all these other products are so great, and I see their pricing is not really out of line, just what is keeping them from taking over the market? If they were/are so great it would seem one of the big guys would make a buy-out. If for no other reason than to block out the compition.

Turtlewax is the best; it is available everywhere and it has the largest share of market ~/~

Let us just change the parameter of this topic and say "I get to choose the local auto parts store" and "I will not choose the one which carries the brand recommended by grampi" ~/~

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Turtlewax is the best; it is available everywhere and it has the largest share of market ~/~

Let us just change the parameter of this topic and say "I get to choose the local auto parts store" and "I will not choose the one which carries the brand recommended by grampi" ~/~

- Vikas
crackmeup2.gif

And if you'd bother reading my posts you'd notice that I've directly compared both NXT and Gold to other waxes and I found the Meguiar's products to be inferior. I'm not brand bashing, just stating results. I'm sorry they don't agree with your likes.

You can like and use whatever you want. Just don't try and attribute things to me I never said. I could care less about your crusade to save everyone from Meguiars.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
And once again, not readily available at your local auto parts store. This is what the orignal op was asking, not what was available overall.

If all these other products are so great, and I see their pricing is not really out of line, just what is keeping them from taking over the market? If they were/are so great it would seem one of the big guys would make a buy-out. If for no other reason than to block out the compition.

And once again, Duragloss IS available at local retailers, which is one of the products I recommended. You seem to be focussed on only the products I recommended that aren't available locally.

I can't answer your question about the marketing because I'm not into that aspect of it, but it isn't because they're inferior products.

Based on jcwit's reasoning, Turtlewax is the best ;0)

Based on jcwit's reasoning, Turtlewax is the best ;0)

Now you're starting to but words or thoughts in my mouth or mind. In two words, You're WRONG, sorry grampi, you just don't get it. Stick to the facts, at least such as you see them, so far you only have given your opinion, based on your perceived experience with no scientific back up.

Wonder why Dura Gloss doesn't set the car polish world on fire.

People who have used both Duragloss and Meguiars as wax/sealant have preferred Duragloss. There may be people who found contrary results but I have not come across them over the internet.

Your assertion that since Duragloss has not taken over the world it must be garbage is logically flawed. That is where the Turtlewax example was offered. Turtlewax has the largest share of that market but I hope you will agree that in general their products do not compare to either Meguiars or Duragloss.

- Vikas

It is JUST WAX! Who gives a flying flip what others use. My god people get over it.

People who have used both Duragloss and Meguiars as wax/sealant have preferred Duragloss. There may be people who found contrary results but I have not come across them over the internet.

Your assertion that since Duragloss has not taken over the world it must be garbage is logically flawed. That is where the Turtlewax example was offered. Turtlewax has the largest share of that market but I hope you will agree that in general their products do not compare to either Meguiars or Duragloss.

- Vikas

For Heavens sake who ever said Duragloss was garbage? Whether taking over the world or not. Are you a politician

, changing peoples meanings? I've never said Duragloss is an inferior product, only that its not one readily available at local auto parts stores, and that I prefer Meguiar's products.

Today while my wife was visiting her mother I stopped in at the local Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Walmart, K-Mart and made a concerted effort to find Duragloss in Sturgis, Mi. None available, even after asking store personnel. So the title to this thread stating "found at the local auto parts store" and it NOT being available still stands.

These are my opinions and are worth just what they cost as are everyones elses.

It is JUST WAX! Who gives a flying flip what others use. My god people get over it.

I'll buy that for a dollar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back