Full Detail - 2018 Buick Regal Tour-X

Had some extra time (and good weather) to do a full detail on my '18 Tour-X.

Interior I used 303 protectant, Mother's Leather conditioner (for front seats till I ran out), then Mothers VLR for back seats. Each of these were easy to use, in fact I almost like the Mothers VLR better than the conditioner for ease of application and appearance afterward. The 303 protectant I only bought because it was on sale, but I'm impressed. It doesn't come out as glossy as it appears in the photo, it's sort of in the middle between a natural protectant and a gloss one.

Exterior got: Mother's California Gold claybar (needed this badly!), Turtlewax ICE polish, then a coat of Turtle Wax hybrid solutions ceramic + graphene paste wax.

I was getting frustrated that a wash and wax would only stay clean for a couple days, sometimes less than that depending on weather / environment. I had no idea it needed a clay bar so bad, that was probably the best couple hours I've ever spent on the car. Very slick afterward and it's nearly impossible to take decent photos-- like taking a picture of a mirror. Hopefully I will get some decent duration out of the shine / protection / water beading. I'll be sure to update.
IMG_5564.jpg

IMG_5566.jpg

IMG_5568.jpg

IMG_5580.jpg

IMG_5581.jpg

IMG_5583.jpg

I picked up some 303 on sale in a 50% more free bottle. I’ve used 303 for years. View attachment 184874
It's definitely one of the better interior detailers I've used. Just glossy enough to give it some wow factor, but leaves no reside behind that attracts dust. Last time I'd applied it, it was several months before the surfaces got dirty enough that I felt like doing it again.

@ 92Saturn. Looks fantastic. I love that midnight blue color. Buick's definitely have nicer appointed interiors vs that of other GMs. Yes, I know, I am sure Caddy's are even better.....but way out of my price range.

Looks great! Love the Tour-X. As usual, GM gets a car right ……then drops it! :mad:
My personal opinion is that GM knew it was the right car, but also knew that it was a complete dead end. That's why there was nearly zero marketing done. Once they sold their stake in Opel and largely abandoned the European market, they just had to move cars to satisfy the contract.

The sales volume would never justify retooling a plant to build them; no way to sell them profitably. If they didn't turn a profit in Europe/overseas selling them, they certainly wouldn't in North America.

Instead Buick is now importing / selling small to mid-size CUVs from China, and the midsize on up ones are shared platforms across other GM makes sold here. That approach seems to be working.

Why do foreign car companies get involved with American manufactures? Saab, Suzuki, Opel with GM. Mercedes with Chrysler. Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo, Mazda with Ford.

It's always a dead end.

I always enjoy seeing those Tour-Xs. Just saw one the other day in CT heading down 395. Definitely a distinctive and beautiful car. This one was sort of a “Douglas fir green” color that i have never seen before on a Tour-X.

@92saturnsl2 Nice job! My TourX is the same year/color combo. Mine has a small 1" spot in the middle that is starting to fleck. I bought an OEM roof rack and Cadillac spare tire from someone who had recently sold a 2018 blue TourX. He experienced the same thing. I'm curious if you have seen any signs of a similar issue?

Reactions: 4WD
@92saturnsl2 Nice job! My TourX is the same year/color combo. Mine has a small 1" spot in the middle that is starting to fleck. I bought an OEM roof rack and Cadillac spare tire from someone who had recently sold a 2018 blue TourX. He experienced the same thing. I'm curious if you have seen any signs of a similar issue?
Are you talking about the paint peeling off?

I've had this issue in a few spots. The first one I noticed was in between the front fender and where the A-pillar meets it, deep in that crevice. Not something you can see, unless you were looking for it. I was worried it might get worse and spread so I covered it in a 3-step touchup paint and that seems to have taken care of it.

I have about a 3/4" spot on the roof where it meets the windshield which paint has peeled off down to the primer. Doesn't seem to be getting worse (so far) but I intend to cover it in touchup paint as well.

The last spot I've noticed is in between the trunk lid and where it meets the roof. This one is spread across the whole top (again it's in the crevice where you can't see it unless you're looking for it). Not sure whether to blame it on environmentally friendly water based paint, or whether this is Opel specific and they just did a piss poor job.

Fortunately all affected areas have been where you can't really see them. The touchup paint seems to be working fine as a fix.

Attachments

• IMG_5955.jpg
    IMG_5955.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 13
Back