Best product to help cold weather starts

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it cranks but struggles to start, I'd be looking at tuneup items: spark plugs, wires (if it has them, or coils if it's plug on coil), fuel filter etc.

With a good battery and the correct oil, it should have no trouble starting. When were the plugs last changed??? Could also be a deposit issue in the IAC valve; Toyotas are known for this and cleaning the IAC valve helps tremendously with rough cold starts.

Last edited:
I use synthetic oil so cold starts are not a problem.

However for a very cold battery, even if you get the car /truck started, a
cold battery won't accept a recharge as well as a warm one.

With lots of short trips, I'd expect the average charge level of the battery to
drop maybe to the point you get a slow crank.

With old cars and carbs, I bring a can of quick start spray on trips. You can't use
spray on new cars with MAF sensors, risky can damage the MAF sensor element.

I've used quick start spray on an old car with carbs after a -40F nite during a -30F day
AND 20W50 dino oil in the engine! lol

Thank you for all the replies. To clarify a few things. The plugs and wires are only about 18,000 miles old. Vehicle runs fine once it starts. I run Mobile 1 high mileage exclusively, 5w30. Only use ethanol free fuel 235,000 miles. Battery checked out fine with Oreillys battery tester thing. I did park in in a family members garage last night and when I started it this morning, it fired right up. It doesn’t struggle to start as in, I can barely make it to a running state, ,I’m just looking to help it start easier when we do have cold snaps. The less my starter has to work the better because changing that thing in the location it’s in, is a nightmare.

A few of the papers that I've read indicate that cranking speed is the best indicator of startability.

Battery with Inox.
Decent oil with crank ability (CCS) for your temps

But 0F isn't where even a 5W oil is getting taxed

Not a product, but move to Arizona. 70*, sunny, and the ice doesn't melt to fast in my rum and coke.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
A few of the papers that I've read indicate that cranking speed is the best indicator of startability.

I know that the permanent mount battery charger on my F-150 made more difference to cranking speed in low temperatures than anything else did.

Originally Posted By: FFFEMT
Not a product, but move to Arizona. 70*, sunny, and the ice doesn't melt to fast in my rum and coke.

In Newfoundland you can drink 3 of those off the same ice ~ indoors
(If you don’t mind 10,000 year old ice) …
wink.gif

Of the two options, I would choose the oil pan heater. There was a thread a day or two ago where a radiator heater was causing hard starting by tricking the temp sensor when the engine was actually cold.

Originally Posted By: Tlhfirelion
Would I be best served getting an engine oil heater or a battery warmer? I don't have a garage and my 2001 Toyota Sequoia kinda struggles a little to start when it gets near zero. Battery is only a few years old and it was tested and is fine. It offers plenty of CCA and CA. I just wonder if anything can make the start a little easier on those zero degree mornings. Once started it warms up surprisingly fast. Thanks!

Get a better oil.

I run Castrol 0W40, and even at -20 starts easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back