Best LL-01 Oil Right Now?

Originally Posted By: RIPGermanCastrol
Kschachn, why be on the site if you aren’t looking for the absolute best oil?

Mightymoosetech, you have a 135i like I do (although mine has an N54), what do you use?

Says right in my sig.
smile.gif

I use Castrol 0W40.

First, there is no "best oil"

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...?__#Post1664795

Second, there is nothing wrong with pursuing that "absolute best oil", but you first have to define what "best" means to you, and then you have to have a good way to actually determine what makes it "best." Base oil group says little about the finished product's actual performance. What kschachn and others are saying is that you are in hair splitting territory here. But if you wish to continue such fruitless activity, go ahead.
smile.gif

I just saw that MMT uses Castrol 0w40. I stopped reading his signature on mobile after I saw 135i M Sport lol. Do you plan on using the new formula of lesser quality?

I just saw that MMT uses Castrol 0w40. I stopped reading his signature on mobile after I saw 135i M Sport lol. Do you plan on using the new formula of lesser quality?

LOL. Absolutely. Just bought a couple cases when it was on sale last.

We are lucky here in Canada though, our 5L jugs are still made in Germany.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Second, there is nothing wrong with pursuing that "absolute best oil", but you first have to define what "best" means to you, and then you have to have a good way to actually determine what makes it "best." What kschachn and others are saying is that you are in hair splitting territory here. But if you wish to continue such fruitless activity, go ahead.
smile.gif

I see your point, I just don't feel as confident in Castrol's 0w40 as I did last time around. I have no doubt that it is still an excellent oil, but I question whether its quality is up to spec of the last formula.

The German and Belgian made oils are the same, I even emailed Castrol about it a while ago when I noticed that a portion of the quarts I bought were made in Belgium; plus, I don't think Castrol would downgrade the rating of their oil on the German website if the German made oil retained the previous specification.

The German and Belgian made oils are the same, I even emailed Castrol about it a while ago when I noticed that a portion of the quarts I bought were made in Belgium.; plus, I don't think Castrol would downgrade the rating of their oil on the German website if the German made oil retained the previous specification.

True. But, is the oil any worse than it used to be? Or did the German gov't just change what is/isn't allowed to be called a full synthetic? When did they change to the 50% rule?

The last time I changed the oil I used 0w40 Castro’s edge euro formula. At the time, it was regarded to be great because of its certification as a true synthetic in Germany. Since then, it’s oil grade in Germany has been downgraded to an HC-Synthetic. What are the best LL-01 oils right now (base IV/V maybe)? I was looking into Pennzoil platinum euro because it’s GTL process, but I do know it isn’t a base IV/V. I’m also no expert on this stuff so feel free to correct me. If there are no true great LL-01s left, I might just go with that Pennzoil ultra platinum stuff. I change my oil every 6-7k anyway.

It does appear that Ravenol tends to be uncompromising.
Some of their oils actually have tungsten, moly, and esters combined. Haven't seen anyone else try that.
Its labelled as a full syn in Germany, so all Group4/5 Try http://www.ravenolamerica.com/motor-oil/0w-40-motor-oil-ravenol-low-friction-oil-ssl/ and google around for the best deal and/or contact ravenol-america directly for online ordering.

I'm waiting for their tungsten-moly-ester syn dexos1 Gen2 oil to come to America. ........... Ravenol takes no prisoners. .........
That said, Castrol or Pennz Euro 0w40 are probably plenty good enough for those wanting an LL-01 oil.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The last time I changed the oil I used 0w40 Castro’s edge euro formula. At the time, it was regarded to be great because of its certification as a true synthetic in Germany. Since then, it’s oil grade in Germany has been downgraded to an HC-Synthetic. What are the best LL-01 oils right now (base IV/V maybe)? I was looking into Pennzoil platinum euro because it’s GTL process, but I do know it isn’t a base IV/V. I’m also no expert on this stuff so feel free to correct me. If there are no true great LL-01s left, I might just go with that Pennzoil ultra platinum stuff. I change my oil every 6-7k anyway.

Some of their oils actually have tungsten, moly, and esters combined. Haven't seen anyone else try that.
Its labelled as a full syn in Germany, so all Group4/5 Try http://www.ravenolamerica.com/motor-oil/0w-40-motor-oil-ravenol-low-friction-oil-ssl/ and google around for the best deal and/or contact ravenol-america directly for online ordering.

I'm waiting for their tungsten-moly-ester syn dexos1 Gen2 oil to come to America. ........... Ravenol takes no prisoners. .........
That said, Castrol or Pennz Euro 0w40 are probably plenty good enough for those wanting an LL-01 oil.

With that price I'd hope the bottles are gold plated! You have to pay to play, I guess. I bought Castrol 0w40 on sale a bit before the formula change at 7 liters for $35.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

With that price I'd hope the bottles are gold plated! You have to pay to play, I guess. I bought Castrol 0w40 on sale a bit before the formula change at 7 liters for $35.

You can't beat the price of the Castrol, at least when it is on sale up here. It's so cheap, I just change my oil every 6000 km.

Second, there is nothing wrong with pursuing that "absolute best oil", but you first have to define what "best" means to you, and then you have to have a good way to actually determine what makes it "best." Base oil group says little about the finished product's actual performance. What kschachn and others are saying is that you are in hair splitting territory here. But if you wish to continue such fruitless activity, go ahead.
smile.gif

But there are better oils for some engines types. And there are [censored] LL01 oils and good LL01 oils.

Quote:
Since then, it’s oil grade in Germany has been downgraded to an HC-Synthetic.
Just out of curiosity, do you have a link to source?

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
But there are better oils for some engines types. And there are [censored] LL01 oils and good LL01 oils.

And you have proof of it by running each oil for hundreds of thousands of miles and then performing engine teardown analysis? Please share.

How many engines have you lost to a [censored] LL01 oil?

@mightymoosetech

I checked the german site and it does, in German, say full synthetic so it seems legit.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a link to source

Check the german site. Castrol 0w40 is not under the "full synthetic" section, it is under the "HC-synthetic" section. This is a change that can be seen if you use an internet archiving site and go back to late 2016 on the "full synthetic" page.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Struggling with that for years … they buy excellent materials from others … formulate an extensive and solid (speaking SS and ASG, synchromesh lines) … but can’t be bothered with actual OEM approvals …
Someone at Amsoil must figure it’s not hurting sales … ?
Yup. My guess is most people don't buy Amsoil for its OEM approvals (or lack thereof). They buy Amsoil because it's Amsoil.

Or they buy it for the amazing TBN, low noack, sheer stable, low pour point. Amsoil would be much more expensive with oem approvals and would not sell anyting in us. Mobil 1 Annual protection is a good exampel

Or they buy it for the amazing TBN, low noack, sheer stable, low pour point.

You could say the same about Castrol Edge 0w-40. The difference is, Edge 0w-40 not only has the above characteristics but also carries a number of stringent engine mfg approvals, and is still very reasonably priced (in the US) and is easy to find.

Or they buy it for the amazing TBN, low noack, sheer stable, low pour point.

You could say the same about Castrol Edge 0w-40. The difference is, Edge 0w-40 not only has the above characteristics but also carries a number of stringent engine mfg approvals, and is still very reasonably priced (in the US) and is easy to find.

/thread

Back