BMW LL 17FE+ Oil

There are fairly large differences between B58, B58 TU, and B58 TU2. However, I agree that it's almost impossible the oil level sensor cares about viscosity. It doesn't even seem possible.
Hopefully they have dealt with the biggest gripe I have with my 2020, the injectors are noisier than the engine on tickover, which wouldn’t be hard as the B58 is whisper quiet.

BMW Dealer just says the usual, they all sound like that😂

All cars that I know of with this feature use oil level sensors, so they are simply incapable of measuring viscosity. I've seen ultrasonic / acoustic viscosity sensors in another industry but they were very expensive and it would be tricky to use them in a meaningful way for PCMO. The technician probably hit the wrong button on the dispenser and overfilled the engine.

All cars that I know of with this feature use oil level sensors, so they are simply incapable of measuring viscosity. I've seen ultrasonic / acoustic viscosity sensors in another industry but they were very expensive and it would be tricky to use them in a meaningful way for PCMO. The technician probably hit the wrong button on the dispenser and overfilled the engine.
Of course not. Probably the the goofiest "my car detects the wrong grade" notions we've seen.

Goes along with the electric oil pumps and sheared drive pinions.

Of course not. Probably the the goofiest "my car detects the wrong grade" notions we've seen.

Goes along with the electric oil pumps and sheared drive pinions.
Yeah, grade sensors are simply not practical.

But, estimating contaminants to judge the need to change an oil is possible. Some BMW sensors measure a dielectric current of the oil and compare it to a dielectric constant to determine the contamination of the oil...but, viscosity is a bridge too far.

That said, my BMW engine oil level sensor seems accurate enough. OR, perhaps it's simply stuck at FULL and I'm lucky to not be burning a significant amount. I put 5.25 quarts in, it reads FULL, and 5000 miles later, I drain 5.1 quarts out, when it is still reading FULL. I don't squeeze the filter media dry...that's where the 0.15 missing volume must be. B-)

Yeah, grade sensors are simply not practical.

But, estimating contaminants to judge the need to change an oil is possible. Some BMW sensors measure a dielectric current of the oil and compare it to a dielectric constant to determine the contamination of the oil...but, viscosity is a bridge too far.

That said, my BMW engine oil level sensor seems accurate enough. OR, perhaps it's simply stuck at FULL and I'm lucky to not be burning a significant amount. I put 5.25 quarts in, it reads FULL, and 5000 miles later, I drain 5.1 quarts out, when it is still reading FULL. I don't squeeze the filter media dry...that's where the 0.15 missing volume must be. B-)
BMW OLM computes primarily driving data. Rpm’s, miles, etc.
Like you said, grade is bridge too far. Level sensors become really cheap and there is no need to add something like this snd get price up.
On top of that, N63 is back with dipstick.

Back