Best E-Coated Rotors?

Originally Posted by The Critic
What application is this for?

2016 honda accord

I put Raybestos RPT (fully coated, not painted) rotors on my wife's car 6+ months ago. Let me get a picture of them and post it. They still look good the last time I looked.

We dont have the kinds of rust problems they do up north. But i did buy rock auto Durago coated rotors. I checked runout, 002 on one side .003 on the other.

Originally Posted by spasm3
We dont have the kinds of rust problems they do up north. But i did buy rock auto Durago coated rotors. I checked runout, 002 on one side .003 on the other.

That is too much. Did you clean the hub flanges?

Can't comment on the other ones, but I do have a full set of the drilled and slotted Powerstops on my car. They are at about 80k at this point, always driven year round including salty winters. After about 80k they are starting to show a bit of surface rust here and there. I think that the coating must have been of decent quality if they lasted that long before rusting. That includes in the vanes where they are still fairly clean and no crust present. Typical non coated rotors are usually rusted in a day or two around here.

I did clean them, turned the rotors 180 and got the same measurment. There are 2 screws in the hyundai rotors so unless you leave them out you can only have 2 positions, you can't move them by 1 lug hole.

I don't have the exact specs for the elantra but i thought the specs were .004 max.

Last edited:

I did clean them, turned the rotors 180 and got the same measurment. There are 2 screws in the hyundai rotors so unless you leave them out you can only have 2 positions, you can't move them by 1 lug hole.

I don't have the exact specs for the elantra but i thought the specs were .004.

Max allowed for the front rotors is .0016". Max allowed for the rear is the same.

2064AECE-1942-46B2-ABFF-CECD822D52BC.png

Thanks! They were inexpensive rotors, it was also the first time i have ever checked runout. I will probably buy rotors locally in the future so i can return, exchange if necessary.

Originally Posted by painfx
The Wagner has coating on the vent/vanes and hat vs the Raybestos doesn't.

That is incorrect. The Raybestos RPT rotors have 100% (?) coating coverage. From your own link:

Raybestos Rust Prevention Technology (RPT) coated rotors use a proprietary finishing technology to coat each rotor's entire surface, including the cooling vanes to ensure optimal airflow and cooling.

Cooling Vanes: By coating the cooling vanes on RPT rotors, it keeps the vanes clear of rust and corrosion for optimal airflow and cooling.

It's hard to get good pictures without pulling the wheels but here are two (Raybestos RPT)

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

I have used a lot of the rotors list in all the posts and I find the best coating on any of them is the Raybestos rotors and these is what I have been special ordering when I have the time to wait. Somebody also said Zimmerman were not china made but the ones we have been getting lately are china made for sure.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Char Baby
AC Delco also has a clear coated rotor that covers the whole rotor even the rotor facing where the brake material makes contact. And the brake pad just wear off that facing/coating during normal driving.

I think the consensus is is that the AC Delco (and NAPA) versions are just private-labeled rotors from Raybestos' RPT line. The Raybestos units are less expensive too.

I put these on my wife's car and am going to be putting them on mine soon. Your comment about the entire rotor being covered and only getting the pad-contact area worn off is correct. That's an oversight with "painted" rotors - they leave the entire pad face unpainted but no brake pad covers that entire area. What's left unpainted and not contacted by the pads will rust and isn't that (part of) the point of these rotors ?

Thanks for the correction.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
…..So the raybestos the one I listed is fully coated? They look like they would rust over time. But I am all ears..
Links don't go to specific rotors just general RA cat listing. As noted, in Raybestos "fully coated' including pad surface are the RPTs. Looks like the Advanced Tech is their painted rotor. Unlike Centric Prem and Wagner E coated, vanes and outer diameter don't appear to be painted. Not having seen them up close can't confirm that.
On the E Coated Wagners, the vanes are painted including the hats. Only the surface is not.
Yes, as I noted in the quote. The answer was regarding the queried and unknown RA linked "Raybestos" (AT?). That based on AT pictures only.

I installed the Wagner E coated (pictured here) last year on a vehicle that is no longer in the extended family stable. They seemed like quality rotors and installed and functioned perfectly for the time observed.

Most recently I installed the aforementioned fully coated Raybestos RPTs on a Honda Accord.

As for the mention of OEM, using Honda Accord as an example, cheapest price that I could find was on Amazon one entry, ~$96 each.
whistle.gif
Most entries significantly more. Compared to the RPTs, two of them ~$44 all in at RA. So two rotors for less than half the OEM for one. No matter where their made, and there's no definitive notation, cost benefit/ROI not worth that for me.

You are right. I meant to say they are not painted. How long will the coating last on the Raybestos rotors? Will the get rusted up later on?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
It's hard to get good pictures without pulling the wheels but here are two (Raybestos RPT)

Are these the Advanced Technology or the Rust Prevention Technology? Looks like the vanes are starting to rust?

…..So the raybestos the one I listed is fully coated? They look like they would rust over time. But I am all ears..
Links don't go to specific rotors just general RA cat listing. As noted, in Raybestos "fully coated' including pad surface are the RPTs. Looks like the Advanced Tech is their painted rotor. Unlike Centric Prem and Wagner E coated, vanes and outer diameter don't appear to be painted. Not having seen them up close can't confirm that.
On the E Coated Wagners, the vanes are painted including the hats. Only the surface is not.
Yes, as I noted in the quote. The answer was regarding the queried and unknown RA linked "Raybestos" (AT?). That based on AT pictures only.

I installed the Wagner E coated (pictured here) last year on a vehicle that is no longer in the extended family stable. They seemed like quality rotors and installed and functioned perfectly for the time observed.

Most recently I installed the aforementioned fully coated Raybestos RPTs on a Honda Accord.

As for the mention of OEM, using Honda Accord as an example, cheapest price that I could find was on Amazon one entry, ~$96 each.
whistle.gif
Most entries significantly more. Compared to the RPTs, two of them ~$44 all in at RA. So two rotors for less than half the OEM for one. No matter where their made, and there's no definitive notation, cost benefit/ROI not worth that for me.

Thanks for the picture of the Wagner E Coated rotors. Judging by the pics, the rotor's vanes don't look to quality.

How do you like your Raybestos RPT vs the Wagner E-coating?

I am diligently looking for a quality rotor that performs well and doesn't rust.

Thank you very much.

I bought these once in 2011.

Raybestos 56641 Advanced Technology Disc Brake Rotor

They rusted completely orange where the black coating was the first winter. I painted them myself with caliper paint and that lasted for several years better than their black coating. I've bought Centric rotors and had good luck with their coating. Both were good functionally but the Centric coating was much better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WishIhadatruck
I bought these once in 2011.

Raybestos 56641 Advanced Technology Disc Brake Rotor

They rusted completely orange where the black coating was the first winter. I painted them myself with caliper paint and that lasted for several years better than their black coating. I've bought Centric rotors and had good luck with their coating. Both were good functionally but the Centric coating was much better.

I think I will stick with the Rust Prevention Technology from Raybestos. Thank you for that information.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8826716&cc=3353775&jsn=396

I have DuraGo coateds on my parent's van, they seem to be working but I want to chuck them since DuraGo got into hot water by Raybestos for substandard casting and from installing Centrics on a friend's car(and seeing The Critic install them), they don't seem as beefy as other aftermarkets.

I've used Centrics on a friend's old car and they worked fine. Haven't tested them in Tahoe after a snowfall and an overnight stay.

Back