Raybestos Element3 calipers vs. ACDELCO brand-new calipers (They are EXACTLY the same, but priced very differently, BUT WHY???)

Here's just an example:

Raybestos https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10999940&cc=1502550&pt=1704&jsn=434
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10999940&cc=1502550&pt=1704&jsn=434

ACDELO
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=11115525&cc=1502550&pt=1704&jsn=433

You will observe that even the photos used are identical. So, two product lines, same category, and basically identical but the ACDELCO is 50% more expensive.

It doesn't even matter what vehicle you choose, both lines appear to give you exactly the same part for very different prices. Even the product number is identical except for the prefix which tells us the brand.
FRC12659DN vs. 18FR12659DN

one more thing: the cheaper Raybestos is "limited lifetime" warranty vs. only 2 years for the more expensive ACDELCO (???)

What's going on here? This doesn't make sense.

Some theories: these are 'stock' photos and the ACDELCO part is indeed superior (or usually superior.) The manufacturing process might be more stringent?

Anyone thoughts?

ACDELCO fanboys may throw unproven ideas about better machined pistons or better quality seals, but in my book - same. So why overpay?

I saw the same many times. Most recent is OEM Oxygen sensors for 2009 Hyundai Genesis 4.6L V8. OEM sensors are made by Bosch. But buying from dealership (or even part stores) had the price multiplied, as compared to buying same Bosch oxygen sensors from RockAuto.

competition and paying a different price for the same thing depending on the label.

you go to a Napa and you pay more for Valvoline than you do for the Napa brand. yet both of them are made by Ashland Chemical.

Thanks for chiming in folks.

I just figured that market mechanisms wouldn't allow this sort of thing to happen--I haven't been around that long so the ACDELCO name means nothing to me basically. In fact, the Raybestos name is more well-known to me. So, this definitely wouldn't work.

ACD used to be my go to years ago- they have been a reboxer for many year and I avoid them now...overpriced, I don't see value there. I would rather go with good used factory or find NOS somewhere. The last set of Raybestos calipers I bought for a Honda application seemed decent quality and made in china- I was hoping for nissin aftermarket or something. This is the one thing I like about Honda/Toy although expensive for oem parts- they are the same part that went on the vehicle originally- no tiered bs.

They are EXACTLY the same, but priced very differently, BUT WHY???​

Because they think that there are enough people who will pay 50% extra, just for the brand name.
100% this

Plus there's an Emperor's New Clothes aspect: it costs more so it must be better.

Parts have always been this way. They just go in a different box when they ship to you. Some will say that if a part doesn't fully meet standard on final inspection it could be sold as one of the lower brands. I don't know if that last part is true, but I've not had a problem with brake parts by choosing the cheaper one. I haven't bought many calipers but I've bought a ton of rotors since I always swap instead of machine when I do brake jobs in my own garage.

Does AC Delco make anything at all? They seem to be completely re-branding other products.
I don't think it's entirely rebranding, though that's likely just semantics. They're just looking for a manufacturer to make their part, it just may happen that the exact part they want made may exist and sell already as a Raybesto part. 🤣

Chances are that's what all these other brands are doing and there's 1-2 factories turning them all out.

There are only so many factories tooled for this precise part. To that end, many different re-sellers will sell exactly the same part, sometimes with anti-rattle clips and grease for higher cost, sometimes without for lesser cost or whatever they think they can sell them for.

Reactions: D60
One thing nobody mentioned is Acdelco Gold / Professional is different from ACDELCO OEM parts. The Gold line is lesser quality than Acdelco OEM and lower priced.

One thing nobody mentioned is Acdelco Gold / Professional is different from ACDELCO OEM parts. The Gold line is lesser quality than Acdelco OEM and lower priced.
OEM are now usually "GM Genuine", then there's aftermarket "Gold" and aftermarket "Silver"

They kind of explain it here but they seem to indicate it could be "AC Delco OEM" or "GM Genuine". Increasingly I'm just seeing the latter

Fyi rockauto photos are usually out of date, its great that they have them so you can look to see if stuff is just being relabeled but, the photos themselves can be quite old and not even match what you are buying

Reactions: D60
Back