Best cheap filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
I avoid anything with a combo ADBV/Bypass valve.

+1 A budget Napa I bought failed. Had the combo valve.

I think I still have it for forensics - if requested. I don't recall if this was a Toyota app or the Universal Asian app.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
This site is funny where guys will go the extra mile to get full synthetic oil for pennies on the dollar (after rebate/promo code) then chew out the next guy who bought a purolator for $3

Surely there's a high quality bang-for-buck filter in the $5 range. I like the $4 Bosch on Amazon. Basically I look for an orange anti drainback valve and if it's around $5 I buy it.

Best cheap filters are the ones in my Signature. All have silicone ADBVs and trap sufficiently.
Fram EG, cheaper K&N and NAPA ProSelect from Mann-Hummel. I will not buy any filters for 5-7K OCIs any more, that aren't wearing silicone ADBVs. I've had nitrile work (most recently the new reformulated Supertech), but why bother when others are available.

One needs to investigate their particular engines and do a crossover search of filters. You may find more than one that's a nice bargain. My recent turn using Premium Guard revealed a quiet cold startup for 3K, followed by a noisy startup for the next 3K. Never use a filter that squaks on startup. Keep searching until you find a quiet one for the entire OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
MicroGard, NAPA Pro Select, Fram Extra Guard, Super Tech, etc.

Plenty of good budget filters.

I thought supertech was a paper filter with paper endcaps, basically something to stay away from?

Originally Posted by Pinoak
Another way to look at being frugal is to use a premium filter for 2 or more ocis. You can buy a $9 M1 and use it for 20k miles. So depending on your liking, say 5k to 10k miles it can last probably 2 to 4 ocis.
Wix Napa Gold can easily last 10k or more in a good clean engine.
All that said the budget filters can be good to for regular ofcis. I'd just stay away from fram tg or eg.

For some reason, the high end filter for two OCI's just doesn't rub me right.

Yes to me its just like washing your best clothes in dirty laundry water.

Or like reusing a...uh, forget it....‚

(don't understand why you would purposefully carry over old oil in reusing a filter but oh well..)

Last edited:
Prime Guard filters are $1.99 at my local Rural King. From what I've read so far, they seem to be a decent solid filter. I haven't noticed any bad reviews as of yet. So I can grab a Prime Guard filter and a 5qt jug of Harvest King full synthetic oil at Rural King for $17 and change.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
Prime Guard filters are $1.99 at my local Rural King. From what I've read so far, they seem to be a decent solid filter. I haven't noticed any bad reviews as of yet. So I can grab a Prime Guard filter and a 5qt jug of Harvest King full synthetic oil at Rural King for $17 and change.

L8R,
Matt

Using something besides M1 or PUP.. now that's just crazy talk! Be gone with you.. ...‚

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

(don't understand why you would purposefully carry over old oil in reusing a filter but oh well..)

Some Honda (and even Porsche!) models require a filter change every other oil change - what harm do you think a few ounces of oil is going to do? What's the difference between the few ounces of old oil in the filter and the few ounces of old oil left in the rest of the engine?

Some Honda (and even Porsche!) models require a filter change every other oil change - what harm do you think a few ounces of oil is going to do? What's the difference between the few ounces of old oil in the filter and the few ounces of old oil left in the rest of the engine?

Those ounces add up to 1 qt. if I don't change my filter. Granted, it's 1 qt. out of 6, but that still means 1/6 of my oil is used if I don't change filter with oil.

Because the additives in fresh motor oil need to breakdown some to be fully effective, there is a good argument for leaving a little extra used oil in the system.

Originally Posted by Pinoak

Because the additives in fresh motor oil need to breakdown some to be fully effective, there is a good argument for leaving a little extra used oil in the system.

LOL you mean it kind of like Probiotics? Keep your car regular yes now I see.

Using something besides M1 or PUP.. now that's just crazy talk! Be gone with you.. ...‚

No!! I want to stay!! Please forgive me! I'll go back to using Fram Ultras and Pennzoil Platinum!
grin2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

L8R,
Matt

STP blue cans are nice
Luberfiners can be found occasionally on Rockauto for a few bucks, as can Champion (Not champ, champion) and Mahle filters for 3$ or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back