2006 Mazda 3 2.3L, do I need an oil filter with an anti-drainback valve?

I have a 2006 Mazda 3, with the 2.3L engine, where you replace just the oil filter cartridge itself (i.e. it's not a spin on type).

I noticed on Rockauto that some of the fancier oil filters claim to have an anti-drainback valve to help prevent dry starts, which seems like a good idea. Although confusingly, some say in the description that they have the valve, but in the list of specs that they do not, e.g.: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=924852&cc=1432714&pt=5340&jsn=465.

On the other hand, the popular and highly lauded Fram Ultra, at least on Rockauto's site, says that it does not have an anti-drainback valve.

So, should I really worry about this? Or just get what seems like a good quality filter?

(Also as a side question, does anyone know if the Motorcraft filter is identical to OEM on the Mazda? I know the Mazda shares a lot of parts with Ford.)

Engines that use cartridge style oil filters typically have the ADBV built into the engine/cartridge mounting area. I don't think I have ever seen any cartridge style oil filter where the ADBV is actually part of the cartridge filter element. I wouldn't trust every word that RockAuto says in their product info pages.

Thanks. That makes sense. It seems like if it was a valuable feature, building it into the filter housing makes more sense than just depending on who you happen to get your filter replacement from.

As stated the cartridge type normally has a built in anti drain back valve built into the oil filter housing on the engine. It has several advantages IMO vs canister. If given the choice try to stick with one without a built in valve but I don't believe it would be a catastrophe if used.

Last edited:
The best filter from Rock Auto for that car is the Mahle :)

Like already said, cartridge filters don't usually come with an ADBV, as it's built into the housing. The bypass is often built into the cap.

On some the drain baxk valve has to be taken off the old filter and fitted to the new one
I'm assuming if that's the case, does a new cartridge filter come with that part, or is that only a part you would have to go to the dealership to get if the old one was bad or damage? Anyone have a link showing this setup?

I'm assuming if that's the case, does a new cartridge filter come with that part, or is that only a part you would have to go to the dealership to get if the old one was bad or damage? Anyone have a link showing this setup?

It didn't come with the filter.

first gen Hyundai Tucson/ 5th gen sonata diesel had this.

2.3L MZR engines are very durable engines so any filter you chose, it will be just fine

The best filter from Rock Auto for that car is the Mahle :)

Like already said, cartridge filters don't usually come with an ADBV, as it's built into the housing. The bypass is often built into the cap.
Thanks. What makes this filter so good, compared to the supposedly higher quality Fram Ultra or Tough Gaurd, etc.?

I discovered that I have what's probably about a fifteen year old OEM oil filter for my Mazda. It's been stored inside, though in the summer sometimes it's probably gotten up to 85 degrees inside (maybe even hotter if I'm out of town and not airing things out, during a heat wave). Anyway, it looks fine. Is it safe to use or likely to disintegrate?

I discovered that I have what's probably about a fifteen year old OEM oil filter for my Mazda. It's been stored inside, though in the summer sometimes it's probably gotten up to 85 degrees inside (maybe even hotter if I'm out of town and not airing things out, during a heat wave). Anyway, it looks fine. Is it safe to use or likely to disintegrate?
I would use it as a shelf display. 15 yrs old is quite some age.

I would use it as a shelf display. 15 yrs old is quite some age.
Yeah, I guess I forgot I had it. It's been a while since I've changed the oil on this car myself. But then I went looking for my oil filter wrench and found it.

I also have an new Mazda oil filter cap/housing, that the cartridge sits in, which seems to have the anti-drainback valve built into it. I got it at the same time, so it's also 15-ish years old. I wonder if it's okay to use that (to replace what is probably the original cap/housing). I guess it seems like it's got to be in better condition than the original cap/housing, which certainly, being on the car, has been subject to more heat and abuse than this one sitting on a shelf, even if it sometimes got hot in some of the apartments I used to live in.

The filter that fits the UFI made housings on the 1.4 Ecotec motors has an ADBV as part of the cartridge.
Can you post any photos or links? I'd like to see that design, interesting.

Can you post any photos or links? I'd like to see that design, interesting.
I guess after further research it's actually a Bypass valve, I heard someone refer to it as an ADBV/Check Valve before.

Yeah, I guess I forgot I had it. It's been a while since I've changed the oil on this car myself. But then I went looking for my oil filter wrench and found it.

I also have an new Mazda oil filter cap/housing, that the cartridge sits in, which seems to have the anti-drainback valve built into it. I got it at the same time, so it's also 15-ish years old. I wonder if it's okay to use that (to replace what is probably the original cap/housing). I guess it seems like it's got to be in better condition than the original cap/housing, which certainly, being on the car, has been subject to more heat and abuse than this one sitting on a shelf, even if it sometimes got hot in some of the apartments I used to live in.
Yeah, that seems reasonable. Is the cap just like the OEM?

Last edited:
Back