Best breakfast chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Calgary, it's Phil's. In Cranbrook, ABC.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by billt460
They're all cardiovascular grease pits and Diabetes factories. Make your own breakfast. It's faster, easier, and cheaper than going out. Not to mention you'll live longer.

You obviously have never had my cooking!

Exercise doesn't assure clean arteries. Just ask Jim Fixx. He did nothing but exercise and eat nuts and twigs. There are plenty more in cemeteries just like him.

This is so true! Guy I worked with was big into the vegetarian lifestyle and medicinal herbs. I'm the exact opposite: everything in the fields, streams, lakes, oceans and barnyard are on the menu. When his health began to falter he opined that I was right behind him. Whether that's true or not isn't proven cause we're both still alive. The difference is, if we were both in a clinic getting some bad heart related news he'd be wondering "what the h*ll went wrong?" while I'd be wondering " was it the chops, or the pizza, or maybe it was the steaks and ribs; could have all the sausage, maybe it was the pasta, or all the fried chicken....."

I do like the Waffle House hash browns and waffles. Local dives always have the best breakfasts. One has to try really hard to mess up breakfast.

Originally Posted by mcrn
Kekes

I went twice and hated it, but it is always busy when I drive by. I like First Watch in FL

IHOP because of the different syrups (butter pecan) and the excellent coffee.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
They're all cardiovascular grease pits and Diabetes factories. Make your own breakfast. It's faster, easier, and cheaper than going out. Not to mention you'll live longer.

True if you don't exercise, and the rest of your diet is also garbage. But for those of us who do exercise, a little grease now and then makes the ole elbows and knees work better!
laugh.gif

Exercise doesn't assure clean arteries. Just ask Jim Fixx. He did nothing but exercise and eat nuts and twigs. There are plenty more in cemeteries just like him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx

"Fixx died on July 20, 1984 at age 52 of a fulminant heart attack, after his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick. The autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%."

The above info on Jim Fixx is very misleading. He was heavy as a young man and smoked two packs of cigarettes a day until age 35 when he quit. For most people that might have been enough to restore the body. But heart disease ran in the family as his father had a heart attack at age 35 and died at 43 on the second one. Heredity is a hard factor to overcome if your genes predispose you to heart disease. Fixx did not have a regular physician and had not gone for a routine checkup in quite some time. A simple $99 cat scan of the arteries today would identify the arterial blockage Fixx had. So using him as a poster child for not exercising is probably a red herring. There are relatively few like Jim Fixx in any cemetery as his specific condition and life style changes were pretty unique.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PW01
Bob Evans, IHOP, Denny's, Cracker Barrel?

None of those but have good memories at Waffle House just unclear if food was actually good. Not a chain person never have been but understand many areas of the country lack decent places to eat otherwise.

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
Not even close, Waffle House.

+1 anytime I'm in the U.S. and eating carbs I go here multiple times.

Only one near me is Denny's … it is Ok but we stop at an old private owned place that is awesome … opened in the 50's and passed through generations …3 egg special and 3 strips thick crispy bacon is a weakness of mine … good coffee and milk almost frozen … but fortunately I only hit it about twice a month …

I avoid chains when I can, but traveling I can always count on Waffle House. The family likes IHOP and Bob Evans, BE is OK with me, but the IHOP menu is expensive and portions are crazy large. I do like the bottomless coffee, but I can only drink so much. I usually end up ordering coffee and just finishing the rest of my family's meals.

Once at a destination though I try to check out the local eateries. If there are a lot of pickup trucks parked outside it's usually both good food, and a good deal.

Once, on our way to Florida, we stopped in a Waffle House in Georgia early in the morning after driving all night. There was a couple in the corner booth that had clearly been out all night. They were whispering back and forth when suddenly, the guy said something the woman didn't like. She picked up that big glass sugar shaker, threw it at his head, it bounced off his skull and then went through the plate glass window. It was hilarious. I love the South.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
The above info on Jim Fixx is very misleading. He was heavy as a young man and smoked two packs of cigarettes a day until age 35 when he quit. For most people that might have been enough to restore the body. But heart disease ran in the family as his father had a heart attack at age 35 and died at 43 on the second one. Heredity is a hard factor to overcome if your genes predispose you to heart disease. Fixx did not have a regular physician and had not gone for a routine checkup in quite some time. A simple $99 cat scan of the arteries today would identify the arterial blockage Fixx had. So using him as a poster child for not exercising is probably a red herring. There are relatively few like Jim Fixx in any cemetery as his specific condition and life style changes were pretty unique.

The fact is he quit smoking and ran his weight off. Which was a good thing. The bad thing is he did it with clogged arteries, and ended up killing himself in the process. In the long run exercise didn't help him, it killed him. I agree, he should have gotten checked before he started on this Kamikaze course. But there have been many like him. Lot's of college basketball and football players met the same fate, and dropped dead on the court, and the field.

The fact is no one should start exercising until they get checked out by a cardiologist. Very few do. And most of them won't sign off on a clean bill of cardiovascular health with a $99 dollar scan. Because they miss too much. They will want to do a full nuclear stress test. If you pass that, then go ahead and run yourself ragged. But a lot of insurance coverage won't pay for those kind of expensive preventative tests, unless the doctor feels the patient has exhibited symptoms, that indicate there could be a life threatening condition involved. It then becomes a big medical catch 22. Those tests aren't cheap. Especially for most people if they have to pay out of pocket. Or until they reach their deductible. So most of the time they don't get done. Then people end up like Fixx.

McDonald's if I ever need to have breakfast while traveling. But usually it's a muffin and a cup of coffee at a continental breakfast at the hotel.

If there is a good breakfast chain, I have yet to discover it. I'd rather find a local mom&pop type outfit for breakfast or brunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back