Restaurants serving rosin potatoes?

JHZR2

Staff member
Years ago we went to a restaurant in SC, long gone, that served rosin potatoes.

Curious if anyone knows of any restaurants, anyplace, still making and serving these. I read that Cracker Barrel used to, but stopped long ago. Not that I’d trust a chain restaurant to do it right but that’s irrelevant.

So, anyone aware of any restaurants still making these?

For a moment I thought this was about Idaho prison potatoes. Anyway, rosin may cause severe allergic reactions. Is there such a thing as rosin mouth?

Now if I posted this, somebody would show that Google thingy that says, "let me find that for you." ;)
Do show me your Google skill if you’re that confident. Don’t you think the first thing I did was search?

But mom and pop restaurants that don’t publish menus don’t necessarily come up on Google like that.

Done. Prove if you can do better.

Today I learned about rosin potatoes. I’d never heard of them before, sound delicious.

Looked it up, and it sounds interesting. BTW for anyone wondering, it's not like a potato variety like Kennebec or Yukon gold, but cooking them in actual pine rosin (think powdered rosin bags for baseball pitchers or violin bow rosin) left over from extracting turpentine from pine sap. It's solid and is molten under heat. I guess it turns into a hard shell when pulled out after cooking. Sounds appetizing......

OTOH - all sorts of trial and error has brought all sorts of weird food processing and cooking techniques.

Back