Chain for lifting

Someone gave me a 550 gallon fuel tank on a stand, I need to move it about 80 yards from the field its in to my trailer to bring it to my friends farm. Ill be using a tractor with a bucket, what grade chain should I use for lifting? I was going to get some grade 70 transport chain at tractor supply but it specifically states not for lifting. Would grade 80 suffice?

I've used grade 70 pulling up fence posts, small trees and the such with 5/16ths grade 70. I'd imagine it will be ok. Make sure you have enough ballast in the rear and super careful turning. I'd move the trailer closer if at all possible and/or try to skid it somehow on the ground, maybe not on its stilts and on its side instead sitting on pallets. The pallets should drag on the ground ok. Yesterday I moved about 2000lb of wood posts and used a hitch on the bucket for the trailer, it was pretty easy.

1711329940281.jpg

figure out how you’re going to lift it, how many chains will share the load, and then look at the chain charts. Don’t forget the ratings of the shackles.

Tulsa Chain was excellent when I was doing some construction that needed to be supported with chains. They sell quality USA made stuff unlike what you might get at TSCO. They also know a ton and can help guide you. I had a great level of service from them.

Grade 70 5/16 will work fine. "Lifting" chains have to be certified and have a tag on them showing the certification. Any chain sold retail will say "not for lifting" you have to go to a rigging supply to get them.. Just do the job safely by not working under it while it is suspended

5/16 grade 70 breaking strength 18.000 lbs, working load 4500 lbs. If your load is balanced on 4 separate lines or 2 loops I think you have plenty of safety margin as long as your shackles are strong enough. I would still keep it close to the ground and avoid bouncing through pot holes. And tie it to prevent it from swinging which it will do as soon as you start to move.

The "not for lifting" thing is a disclaimer. It does not sound like you are going to be using a crane. For 1000 lbs, and grade 70 3\8 transport chain will do fine, forever, It will hold the tank up, full, for a long time.

I have a couple of chains, 3\8, rated for a safe working weigh of 5600 lbs.

Someone gave me a 550 gallon fuel tank on a stand, I need to move it about 80 yards from the field its in to my trailer to bring it to my friends farm. Ill be using a tractor with a bucket, what grade chain should I use for lifting? I was going to get some grade 70 transport chain at tractor supply but it specifically states not for lifting. Would grade 80 suffice?
I needed to pull a very large tree tree that was hung up on another tree. Using an 8000 lb Ramsey winch attached to a huge tree as the base. And a snatch pulley.

I looked at chain and cable and then realized that straps provided the best load rating.

In the end I strained the winch and needed to let it rest after pulling for a few minutes. I got a section of portable dog kennel chain link fence to hide behind in case something snapped.

I just used a 2" lift strap on my 1000 gallon tank. Maybe weighs 2000lbs, if that.

Did snap one on a snowplow, put it was heavy, was lifting the back of the 5k forklift.

steel cable,1/2 inch sling would be better,chain can slip,unless there are lifting eyes, be safe.

The advantage that chain has over straps or cable is that if the chain breaks it loses all of it energy now where a strap or cable doesn't. Cable never saddle a dead horse ( cable clamp)

Back