Best brake pad grease for rustbelt.

I may have asked before, not sure.....Anyways, I was highly annoyed when I did my rear brake pads and hardware kit in nov 2022, in which I used the little pouch of caliper grease. I grease the grooves that the pads ride in, here we are feb 2023 and the **** thing are rusted in place.

So, I will ask, what is the best all year grease I can use to keep the pads free in their grooves? The salt blast of water rinses it off.

The formula changed over a year ago. It's now a darker black color vs. dark gray and is extremely sticky/clingy - almost annoying to apply. The old stuff was impervious to water absorption. The new stuff seems just a tad less impervious. I tried contacting the company for info, but I didn't follow through to an answer. Time will tell if it is still a rock star. https://igralub.com/?page_id=2161&lang=en
Old on top vs. new...........................rust free hub on my 10 year old Patriot - old product. New product wait and see.
229.JPG
1675728949319.jpeg

Regarding Sil-Glyde, if you put a glob on your hand and run it under the faucet, it will quickly turn cloudy with water absorption.

Last edited:
I have yet to find anything that holds up where the pads ride in the caliper bracket. The road spray will wash everything off in short order.

I have yet to find anything that holds up where the pads ride in the caliper bracket. The road spray will wash everything off in short order.
I have not tried many, but basically have the same results. Every spring I relube the pads. Seems to work ok.

I use honda m77 fwiw.

The formula changed over a year ago. It's now a darker black color vs. dark gray and is extremely sticky/clingy - almost annoying to apply. The old stuff was impervious to water absorption. The new stuff seems just a tad less impervious.
I'm impressed... one tub is going to be lifetime supply for me :ROFLMAO:

I may have asked before, not sure.....Anyways, I was highly annoyed when I did my rear brake pads and hardware kit in nov 2022, in which I used the little pouch of caliper grease. I grease the grooves that the pads ride in, here we are feb 2023 and the **** thing are rusted in place.

So, I will ask, what is the best all year grease I can use to keep the pads free in their grooves? The salt blast of water rinses it off.
In your case maybe try antiseize.

I basically need something that will not rinse off. I have huge holes in the rims so the air / water / ice / snow pressure wash the entire caliper and brakes. I cannot even get thru a winter.

I've always used ordinary red axle grease on slide pins, it doesn't rain where I live so rust isn't a problem

Sounds like the best stuff is called "Recently Applied." Also, taking a needle scaler and/or file to dress the surfaces of the slide area is probably called for if there has been any rust jacking.

I use the CRC stuff on all the stuff I work on. It does okay but stuff that's exposed to a lot of salt spray (high milers) it can sometimes not hold up as well as I'd like.

I’d like to see some before and after pics of some favourite brake greases where rainy weather occurs. I find brake grease tends to disappear on the pad ears.
That brake hub picture of mine above may have been after I massaged a new paper thin layer on prior to reassembly. But it looks like that at every tire rotation (6 months/6K miles), just a bit duller. I pulled the rotors off my front after 2 years and the hub and hat were still 100% rust free with the old formula PasteLube. I use the stuff outdoors on ag. equipment and open gate hinges also. Dang, I need to take more pics. Maybe the more common Molykote 77 paste is similar??

I’d like to see some before and after pics of some favourite brake greases where rainy weather occurs. I find brake grease tends to disappear on the pad ears.
South Main Auto on YT doesnt apply anything to those ears. Just cleans the guideways. Makes sense to me because if water doesnt wash it away first, road grit will be attracted and defeat the whole purpose of using grease anyway.

Back