Best and worst car seats you have owned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW sport seats are pretty good up to about 7 hours, then the thigh bolsters get a bit intrusive. Mine are also unheated, which is probably my worst automotive decision - almost as bad as buying an n54 engine.

Had a Volvo 850. AMAZING seats, felt sublime even when the car was approaching 350,000 miles. Back before Ford screwed everything up.

Worst were in the 93 Infinity J30, hot or cold, no middle ground. While not mine, I had a terrible experience in a second gen LX Lexus, those seats were horrid.
The most comfortable were in the 13th gen New Yorker, pillow top leather. What a treat for a teenager! Tranny gave up in week or two, before I could wear the suspension out. Close second is my XJ.

Oh, forgot about my 1990 Series 1 Pajero - fold down armrest, and sprung ! Before I sold it I scored a full set of leather seats. Didn't matter how rough the roads were,the Pajero, and it's seats, could handle the pace.

The best seats I've owned were Recaro LS in a 1991 Golf G60

Worst seats without question were standard 1987 Austin Metro. Uncomfortable to the point of being painful, flat bases and fabric slippy enough it was hard to stay in one position when turning or braking.

I've had a lot of vehicles with nice/comfortable seats for driver & passengers. However, my wife's '01 Lexus RX300 may have had the best. My current '15 is also very good however, Zero Gravity Seats is more of a marketing term.

Honda Accords/Civic('88, '91 '94) may have had the worst. They're just too hard/narrow.

My Firebird FORMULA in my signature(which I've owned since new) may be near as well. They're OK but, lack any support of any kind. However, I have sat in some terrible seats in other cars. I hate seats with too aggressive side bolstering and too narrow of seat bottoms for my wide(er) hips/frame(today's Mazda's). I just don't like'em.

I generally love the seats in a Pick-up!

Worst: Honda Accord and Civic. Everyone I know that has these loves the car but all complain about the seats. Upholstered in really cheap "leather", too.

Best: Porsche

In cars I have owned the Citroen CX Pallas, Austin Princess A135 and Rover SD1 3500 Vanden Plas had the best by far. My wife had a Nissan Micra some special edition she bought new years ago that had amazingly comfortable well bolstered and big seats.

Best seats ever I have ridden in were in a Mulsanne turbo R they were more supportive than the Roller seats. Worst would be the unimog I had, they had the comfort of a 3 legged folding camp stool. My friend had a Diablo that wasn't much better, comparable to a rickety aluminum lawn chair with a couple of busted straps.

Best

1993 Rover 820 Vitesse Turbo had half.leather Recaro seats. Though every French car I have owned has had comfortable seats.

Worst

1999 Seat Toledo had an early anti submarine seat. The foam was too thin were you sat so when you pushed the clutch you lifted you bum up with your thigh pivoting on the bar inside the seat which I think might have been designed to stop you sliding under the belt.

Best was my 85 Peugeot 505
Worst was my 69 MG Midget

Not sure I've had awful seats. Probably the worst was anything vinyl--in the summer they'd get scorching hot, kinda painful if I was wearing shorts.

Wife hated the seats in my stripper Saturn. I've noticed after 100k, 150k most seats are feeling a bit worn; but I can still manage driving just fine with seats that I've disliked.

Am starting to dislike the seats in my Tundra, those are probably the worst ones I have right now. They aren't sagging (surprisingly!) but somehow the contour is not quite right.

Best I've owned were in Alfa 164 QV and 156 sport pack 1. Current one in my Vectra are pretty good too.

Best I've tried were no doubt in Opel Insignia 2 with AGR certificate ( an expensive option). Brilliant. Friends SAAB 9-3 Aero from O6 had very good standard seats. Renault Sport with Recaro are good too.

Worst?.
Can't remember, pretty much all my more basic cars had poor seats. But one thing that is just as important as seats for driving comfort is seat position. Great seats that are mounted to high (Clio Sport) will not feel right.

Last edited:
best: BMW 318Ti sport seat, tight, good bolsters, grippy fabric, multi adjustments
worst: SAAB 97 slick sort of 'leather', never got completely comfortable

Loved the seats in my old'99 Intrepid. Like sitting on your living room sofa.Seats in the current Accord, while firm, are long-trip comfortable.

Annoyed with the seats in the Forte right now, as the back creaks like an old mattress even though it's only 5 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back