Best 9mm Sub Compact for Concealed Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know everyone is happy with Glocks, however, I don't like the lack of an external safety. All those Glocks have for safety is the trigger safety, I don't like it. I think it's a great gun, but that's a no go for me. If something snags the trigger inadvertently you have a problem.

GMfan, I assume you want a 9mm in sub-compact in order to have the absolute smallest most comfortable to conceal pistol in 9mm, so that you won't hesitate to wear it each and every time you head out. I would say the field is much narrower when the actual foot print of the gun inside your waistband is considered. Double stacks are usually out for that reason alone.

So I think it comes down to a few class leading single stacks that have the rail feature you seek:

S&W Shield

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/s...playErrorView_Y

Springfield XD-S

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xd-s-3-3-9-mm/

Walther PPS

http://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/pps/pps/

I have the Walther PPS and love it, but have not looked into mountables yet. It does have the Weaver accessory rail which sounds like what you might be looking for.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I am searching for a new semi-auto pistol which I'd eventually like to conceal carry...

...I'd also like to have it around for HD so I would prefer a rail to mount a light on it.

...I do not have a budget.

No budget? Than get a proper home defense gun and a proper carry gun. Two guns... a full size railed 9MM for the house and a compact .380, 9MM, or .38 Special for carry.

Running a G23 gen4 and my one-and-done HD/ccw weapon. Big enough to grip well, small enough to conceal on my 250+ pound frame. Plenty of firepower, also.

That said after watching A LOT of various ammo tests I'm not sure I would go with 40s&w again. You can get just as much ballistics out of a 9mm with the right amm these days, and not only will it shoot nicer but you get higher round count and slightly lower cost ammo! I like the 40 and am comfortable with it, just beginning to buy into the modern 9 hype. Need to decide on G26 vs G43 for my next one...

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: GMFan
I am searching for a new semi-auto pistol which I'd eventually like to conceal carry...

...I'd also like to have it around for HD so I would prefer a rail to mount a light on it.

...I do not have a budget.

No budget? Than get a proper home defense gun and a proper carry gun. Two guns... a full size railed 9MM for the house and a compact .380, 9MM, or .38 Special for carry.

Glock 19 or 17 for the house. Glock 26 to carry.

Thank you all for the detailed responses and suggestions.

Before I posted I was considering a Springfield XD-S. I have shot the full size before in 9mm and liked it. I also liked the grip safety as well as the cocking and loaded chamber indicators on the slide. It does have some really great features including an accessory rail.

The XD-S is definitely on my radar but not sure about the size. The potential is there that I may want to pocket carry. I haven't concealed carried before so then again I'm not 100% sure what would be most comfortable for me.

As far as magazines go, I know that on many guns you can get an extended magazine with the grip extension. Is this common among the major manufacturers?

I'd like to narrow my list down to 3 or 4 options.

Kimber makes some great stuff but I've heard that they don't want to talk to you about any jamming issues until you've put 1000 rounds through them.

bill, I should have said not off the table because of price, someone said price too high. Little 1911s are too finicky usually.

Al, I can shoot OK too. We also train at speed, multiples, close, far, off hand etc. With every added stressor accuracy decreases..with mid-size and full size pistols, and there's no danger involved. If you can draw and rapidly fire 5 shots into 5 inches at 7 yards with an LCP you're an elite level shooter.

Wake up middle of the night, noises in the house, you get up and down the hallway you identify a bad guy with with bad intent and he starts to come at you. Your 5" circle is history with any handgun. By choice I choose not to be armed with a short sight radius, small sights, limited capacity, weak caliber defensive pistol in my home. You see it differently. If you own only 1 pistol and it's an LCP or other .380 then it's also your HD pistol. You're currently adding pistols you want. Is the LCP going to be your nightstand weapon? Not when you own a G19.

Side note: much to my dismay my BIL bought my sister an LCP for an HD pistol, a purple one. Wish they would have talked to me first.

GMFan, you need a list of your must-haves and priority of usage. For instance, pocket carry pretty much eliminates the bigger subcompacts like the Glock 26. Good luck and don't be surprised if you find you need 2 to properly address your needs.

Intelligent thread everyone, thumbs up.

Have you looked at the sig sauer P290rs?
BTW the lcp isn't hard to shoot and I have large hands.. my friend has one and I've shot it many times at the range. I prefer his mags with the extended floor plate with finger groove. On the lcp I do not like the blacked out non replaceable fixed sights.. that is a deal killer for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buck91
Running a G23 gen4 and my one-and-done HD/ccw weapon. Big enough to grip well, small enough to conceal on my 250+ pound frame. Plenty of firepower, also.

That said after watching A LOT of various ammo tests I'm not sure I would go with 40s&w again. You can get just as much ballistics out of a 9mm with the right amm these days, and not only will it shoot nicer but you get higher round count and slightly lower cost ammo! I like the 40 and am comfortable with it, just beginning to buy into the modern 9 hype. Need to decide on G26 vs G43 for my next one...

Buck, drop a 9mm conversion barrel in that G23. I have a Storm Lake 9mm barrel for my G22 and it's been 100%. Then buy the G43 ;7)

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Wouldn't you really be better off with a M134?

20140317170154_2576.jpg

A definite home defense gun.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Wouldn't you really be better off with a M134?

20140317170154_2576.jpg

A definite home defense gun.
and you can own it too as this one shoots plastic bb's

I have been carrying a Glock 26 for several years.

Fits in front jean pocket without holster.

It is fun to shoot at range and has never once had a failure.

So my vote for a 9mm Sub Compact Concealed carry is the Glock 26.

Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
All those Glocks have for safety is the trigger safety, I don't like it.

Glock's employ the best... and the ONLY safety there is, or is needed.... The SHOOTER.

The Shield is out if you want to mount a light to a rail -- it has no rail. Some of the best concealed carry guns don't have a rail. OP, you may wish to think about separating those two use scenarios -- any gun that will do both acceptably will will be optimized for neither situation. Ideally, you'd buy a full-size pistol or other platform for defense of the home (rifle, shotgun, pistol caliber carbine, etc), and a smaller handgun for carrying with you (like a Glock 43, Smith Shield, something from Springfield, a small revolver, etc).

I have a Shield and a full-size M&P, and enjoy shooting both. Neither have given me a single issue, and both have an excellent reputation. And backed by Smith & Wesson's lifetime service policy and made in these United States.

Where do you live in North Carolina? Let's go to the range one day!

I'm not getting the logic of wanting: "the best 9mm Sub Compact on the market for concealed carry", so they can turn around and try to mount some big, unwieldy light on it, that's half the size of the gun? That's like buying a sub compact car to tow your RV.

Another factor with mounting an accessory on a concealed carry pistol may be finding an IWB holster that will fit it with the accessory mounted.

Double stack; I carry a Ruger SR9c. A super high quality firearm for less than $500 anywhere. You have a standard 10rd mag and an optional 17rd mag if you live in a free state. I have over 2k rounds through mine without one malfunction. It eats everything I feed it regardless of case metal or weight.

Single stack; I have a Walther PPS 9mm. Still breaking it in, but after 250 rounds it's been reliable. Great shooting and very accurate. It is a Walther so quality is top notch. These are a great price right now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Another factor with mounting an accessory on a concealed carry pistol may be finding an IWB holster that will fit it with the accessory mounted.

CC does not automatically = IWB. I think he wants a light for home defense.

Although I would recommend and do have separate firearms for carry and home protection. The Sig P290rs fits the request. I've been considering an equinox myself. A p250 sub-compact would also fit the bill if a modular would be of interest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back