Best 9mm Sub Compact for Concealed Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am searching for a new semi-auto pistol which I'd eventually like to conceal carry once I become intimately familiar with it at the range. I'd also like to have it around for HD so I would prefer a rail to mount a light on it.

Questions:

1. In your opinion, what is the best 9mm Sub Compact on the market for concealed carry? I do not have a budget. I'd rather it be quality as I plan to keep it forever as I don't flip my guns.

2. I've read that larger calibers are impractical to use as range guns as the small frame and stout recoil will make them unwieldy to shoot excessively. Is this accurate?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
I have shot most of the compact [sub] 9mm I have a Kahr PM9 I bought used and this one is great some people have had trouble with them as posted on the net. I really like the S@W Shields over all that I have tried. Most offerings are really good from the common name manufactures. Glock Springfield, Ruger etc. Shop around and see which one feels best etc. Small pistols and revolvers aren't as fun to shoot as larger ones. 9MM are all that is needed for small pistols. link to bullet reviews

Lots of good choices. S&W M&P Shield is very popular and reasonably priced. I recently bought one for my wife. I might buy me one as well. Otherwise, Glock 43 just came out and seems pretty good.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: GMFan
..........1. In your opinion, what is the best 9mm Sub Compact on the market for concealed carry?

Glock 26, done.

+1 or the 19

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: GMFan
..........1. In your opinion, what is the best 9mm Sub Compact on the market for concealed carry?

Glock 26, done.

+1 or the 19

+2 gen 3 or 4 G19

For me, I'd go for a Glock 26 or 43 (maybe even the 19), depending on how small you want.

Obviously though, the real answer is what works for you and your situation. You'll need to determine how many rounds are enough for you, if you need or want any manual safeties, if you want a striker or hammer fired, and if hammer, if you want DA/SA, DAO, etc.

From memory, most of the big name sub compact single stack 9mm don't have an accessory rail. The XDs and PF9 might have a rail.

I think smaller and lighter guns in general are rougher to shoot at the range. I was trying a friend's Glock 43 next to my Sig P938 and even with the same ammo, the felt recoil on the P938 was much harsher than the Glock. I'll probably be getting a G43 for CCW soon, keeping my Glock 19 with light as the bedside firearm.

I would call the G19 a compact. It's small...but not that easy to conceal...depending on how you dress, your body type/size, etc....

The OP asked about sub-compact, and I think the G19 is just too big to fit that description. Please note, I own 3 G19s...love 'em. Great pistol. Just not a sub-compact pistol.

I have yet to shoot the G43 but have held it. If I were looking for a very concealable pistol, that would be my choice. Once I've had a chance to shoot it, I might end up buying one.

But since I've not shot it, I can't really recommend it, only recommend that the OP give one a go at the range...

He is asking about a SUB Compact people! G19 isn't it! OK, back to reality. Take a look at the S&W Shield and the Glock 43. Both great guns but one might fit your hand better than the other. Just stay away from the cheap junk out there (HiPoint). Your life is worth more than a few bucks saved at the gun shop.

Look at something around 9mm size. 380's are just to small and 40's & 45 ACP's snap a bit more than what you might like in a compact/sub compact size.

Last edited:
I own a Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact in 9mm, and it's my favorite concealed-carry piece.

By using a Beretta-made grip extender/adapter I can carry the mags designed for their compact PX4 (15-round). This allows my pinkie to be on the grip which adds control. The gun shoots great with minimal recoil for a smaller 9mm.

I also have a OWB thumb-break holster made by Beretta which is a great fit. It's not the smallest subcompact out there, but being I'm a larger guy I have no trouble concealing it.

Small 1911's are a hoot but you have to keep a very firm grip on them otherwise they can jam up in the worst of times. I had a Kimber Ultra CDP II that I loved to death but I ended up selling it because of the limp wristing issues. Reliability is paramount.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Colt Defender, Kimber Microcarry, Para Warthog, Kimber Ultra Carry TLE II. Those are all mini 1911 variants but all awesome

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Small 1911's are a hoot but you have to keep a very firm grip on them otherwise they can jam up in the worst of times. I had a Kimber Ultra CDP II that I loved to death but I ended up selling it because of the limp wristing issues. Reliability is paramount.

Colt Defender, Kimber Microcarry, Para Warthog, Kimber Ultra Carry TLE II. Those are all mini 1911 variants but all awesome
Too expensive .

Wouldn't you really be better off with a M134?

20140317170154_2576.jpg

I've heard that the mini 1911s can be a little finicky with ammo as well. My P938 had a few ftfs so far. I've heard great things about the Springfield EMP though.

He is asking about a SUB Compact people! G19 isn't it! OK, back to reality. Take a look at the S&W Shield and the Glock 43. Both great guns but one might fit your hand better than the other. Just stay away from the cheap junk out there (HiPoint). Your life is worth more than a few bucks saved at the gun shop.

This I have a Shield. I like it but I think the trigger could be better. I would look at the Glock 43 also. It will be more expensive and holds 2 less rounds. I doubt it will be any more reliable than the Shield. I bought the Shield bc its reliability from everything I have read says it is excellent. Mind has 0 problems so far and so does my son's.

The LCP to me is a great option with a good defensive load. It is half the weight of the 9's and with a nice inside pocket holster is great. Others will say its inadequate. I disagree but I won't argue the point.

I carry a Kahr cw40. I have a PM9 too, hard to say they are not excellent carry options. You have to break them in, and find what they like.

For the list of small 1911 patterns, I'd love to have a sig 938 and SA EMP to have as carry options.

Last edited:
The OP said he has no budget and wants quality so the little 1911s aren't off the table and he isn't going to buy a HiPoint. And he wants a rail.

I challenge anyone to get good hits at say 7 yards under stress with an LCP. Not a good HD choice and no rail. Glock 43 no rail either but it's a CC pistol not meant for front line HD. Truth is a compact size like the Glock 19 probably covers both uses better. Sub compacts are all the rage right now and lots are being bought and carried (and being bought for women) even though felt recoil is greater and they're harder to shoot accurately.

A trip to a well stocked gun shop will better define your list of possible handguns, some just don't fit and others feel good in your hand. From that list you can further refine based on your requirements; capacity, manual safety or not, etc. It would be good for you to shoot some subcompacts in 9mm, 40, and 45 and judge recoil for yourself.

Good luck with your search.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

I challenge anyone to get good hits at say 7 yards under stress with an LCP. Not a good HD choice and no rail. Glock 43 no rail either but it's a CC pistol not meant for front line HD. Truth is a compact size like the Glock 19 probably covers both uses better. Sub compacts are all the rage right now and lots are being bought and carried (and being bought for women) even though felt recoil is greater and they're harder to shoot accurately.

I won't get into a [censored] contest with the "weakness" of the .380.

But with good technique and not a lot of practice anyone should easily be able to very easily place all shot within a 5" circle at 25' (longer than 7 yrds.

I can do better than that with my.380 S@W Sigma. I have yet to receive my LCP. But I guarantee I will be able to shoot as well with that as my Sigma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back