Best $10 you can spend

Status
Not open for further replies.
An oil change. The Pennzoil Ultra in my Sonata was $1 per quart and the oil in the Camry and Jeep I splurged on was $2 per quart.

I only use clearance oil.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Add the $10 to your oil change and get synthetic instead?

Out of your list,this. Avoid additives like the plaque,don't waste your $10 on those.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Instead of filling up with regular, fill up with premium. Either $10 worth or designate the extra $10 towards the added cost in filling up. Extra detergents in the fuel plus higher octane. In many owner's manuals it states to run at least 87 then in parenthesis it says to research higher octane. Don't have to use it every time but occasionally seems to help.

Detergent boost is only true at shell with the v power. Other than that it is a waste. Added octane rating is like nunchucks, if you car can't use it, it won't do squat.

Screen or gutter guard material in or behind the grill, to keep rocks and large insects out of the radiator or condenser.

You'll still have most of the $10 leftover, so add a cheap digital VOM and a roll of paper towels.

A sunshade for the windshield.

Clearance tint. Bought one big roll for 50 cents one time.

24 terrycloth towels for a little less than $9.

Any high quality cleaning item that you can get your money back with a rebate.

Wax... wax... wax...

Many of the top tier gas providers use the same amount of additives in regular and premium. I think the best $10ish is to get a floor mount bicycle air pump with a built in gauge. That way you don't need to search for air if your tires are low, it takes less than a minute per tire to equalize them (especially on low profile tires)

Also a headlight restoration kit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
ELM327 OBD-II dongle
HF torque wrench for lugnuts etc
Brake fluid
a new wiper blade or two
Windex and paper towels for the inside of windows
headlight de-haze kit
LED brake light/ CHMSL bulb(s)
a gallon of antifreeze or ATF on sale-- many don't change this enough.
Black gloss spray paint to touch up stuff like the wiper blade arms that get chipped all to heck
valve cover gasket (check ebay!) my old ones shatter when they hit the trash can and make the motor look grimey.
Battery trickle charger/ terminal cleaning brush
Water injection decarb, air in the tires, rotate the tires, tighten throttle cable, adjust tranny TV cable. Vacuum/ de-trash interior. Oops, sorry, that's all free.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: NO2
Many of the top tier gas providers use the same amount of additives in regular and premium.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Detergent boost is only true at shell with the v power. Other than that it is a waste. Added octane rating is like nunchucks, if you car can't use it, it won't do squat.

Instead of filling up with regular, fill up with premium. Either $10 worth or designate the extra $10 towards the added cost in filling up. Extra detergents in the fuel plus higher octane. In many owner's manuals it states to run at least 87 then in parenthesis it says to research higher octane. Don't have to use it every time but occasionally seems to help.

This would be the best way to waste $10 without adding any value. The research octane you are talking about is the method that octane is measured, not telling you to actually research different octanes...

Higher octane fuels contain more detergents in them and I've noticed a positive difference in performance after using them. Using Chevron Techron and others I've noticed zero difference.

Higher octane fuels contain more detergents in them and I've noticed a positive difference in performance after using them. Using Chevron Techron and others I've noticed zero difference.

This is generally false with the exception of some of the fuels that people have specified. If that little bit of detergent helps you would be better to spend it on a bottle of Gumout that would have a lot more detergent than the little extra (if any) in the premium fuel.

I don't look for problems that don't exist. I will buy a few happy meals with my $10.

Did you see the pics I posted at the top of the page? As mentioned I've used Gumout Regane High Mileage and noticed zero difference after using it. Maybe if I used a double dose it would have made a difference but the directions don't state to do that.

Another reason I've used it is to eliminate pinging in the engine. I don't fill it completely up with the premium. Only for top offs and will do it for a few runs around an oil change. Initial acceleration is much better. People were on my tail and some would raise their hands as if to gesture why I'm accelerating too slow. Not anymore.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Drive to the liquor store and get a cheap bottle of whatever and enjoy.

Turn the radio on and sit in the back seat in case a cop sees you.
Buy a bottle of Benchmark bourbon ,its cheap and pretty good.

Exactly SatinSilver. There is a big difference in additives between Shell 93 and say roo tee Doo Pilot 93. As made plain as day by what you posted above. 31 vs like 9 per 100 ml. That's a large difference for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back