Honda maintenance minder

2023 Honda CR-V sport 2.0 NA

Our first Honda and trying to figure out an ideal oil change interval.

Following the maintenance minder would be nice to take the guess work out of when to do service, but it looks like the interval will be much longer than the "severe service" of 3750 miles or 6 months we have gotten used to over the years. Have just under 1000 miles and 1 month, and still at 100%, and watched a couple video's showing oil changes to see what it consist of, and they had over 6000 miles and still have 50% left, and even more interesting is it looks like it doesn't require an oil filter replacement at each change.

We live 3/4 mile away from from a very small town, and the next closest city we travel to is 40 miles away, and visit family once a month that live 170 miles away, so the majority of the miles driven are about 90% highway, but 3 to 5 days a week will be driven less than a mile each way.

Our intentions are to keep this vehicle for minimum 10 years/150000 miles

Looking for advice/opinions about simply following the maintenance minder, or go with a different interval such as a simple 5000 miles.
Thanks

It seems Honda wants me to go 10k or more (21 Pilot) for each oil change before it appears the maintenance minder would say to change the oil. I have been performing the oil change earlier at 7 or 8k so I never got the warning but I have seen it do the same in a 20 CRV Hybrid. The maintenance minder in the hybrid wants to do 10k oil changes as well.

I'm sticking to shorter intervals now at 5k. You'll be fine at 5k, no harm doing it earlier. I did my first oil change at 2k though because of the engine break in BTW.

It seems Honda wants me to go 10k or more (21 Pilot) for each oil change before it appears the maintenance minder would say to change the oil. I have been performing the oil change earlier at 7 or 8k so I never got the warning but I have seen it do the same in a 20 CRV Hybrid. The maintenance minder in the hybrid wants to do 10k oil changes as well.

I'm sticking to shorter intervals now at 5k. You'll be fine at 5k, no harm doing it earlier. I did my first oil change at 2k though because of the engine break in BTW.
Thanks for the feedback
5k does seem like a common and safe interval.
I am curious why Honda and other manufactures are stretching it well beyond that... are they just looking to make it past warranty and trying to say how efficient they are, or is the longer interval truly fine, and we can expect 150000+ miles going 10k on a 4 qt sump.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback
5k dose seem like a common and safe interval.
I am curious why Honda and other manufactures are stretching it well beyond that... are they just looking to make it past warranty and trying to say how efficient they are, or is the longer interval truly fine, and we can expect 150000+ miles going 10k on a 4 qt sump.
Did you ever think that the engine oils being produced today are much better then in the past...

On a turbo DI car I like the 5k interval because of extra heat and more point of potential issues. As far as that non turbo hybrid goes, I ran my old Prius to as high as 11k intervals, car ran like a top at 200k when I sold it, and currently still in the family nearing 220k. Those non FI engines really don’t generate enough heat or pressure to be harsh on oil, so longer intervals are fine.

I had considered the improvements in modern oil, but its still difficult to break old habits.
I know I am 68 and I used to do it every 3000 in the olden days then increased it to 5000 and now with my 21 Honda HRV I do a oil change and filter every 7000...using Mobile 1..

On a turbo DI car I like the 5k interval because of extra heat and more point of potential issues. As far as that non turbo hybrid goes, I ran my old Prius to as high as 11k intervals, car ran like a top at 200k when I sold it, and currently still in the family nearing 220k. Those non FI engines really don’t generate enough heat or pressure to be harsh on oil, so longer intervals are fine.
Its nice to hear the miles you got out of it going with long intervals.
We do have the 3/4 mile short trips that can be difficult to factor in the interval based on miles.

I know I am 68 and I used to do it every 3000 in the olden days then increased it to 5000 and now with my 21 Honda HRV I do a oil change and filter every 7000...using Mobile 1..
So you go with a flat 7000k interval, and not follow the maintenance minder? What percent is it typically at when you change it?

Its nice to hear the miles you got out of it going with long intervals.
We do have the 3/4 mile short trips that can be difficult to factor in the interval based on miles.
Everyone occasionally does short trips, it’s not the Achilles heel of automotive design. Don’t think too much into the hysteria, if you’re doing the changes yourself then you can do them more frequently and cheaper so you can shorten the intervals. I get my change done faster than I could drive to the dealer, and at 1/3 of the price. Doing 15k a year and changing every 5k, costs me $90 a year. If I stretch the intervals to 7500, I can save $30 a year. Doesn’t seem worth it to me, but I don’t drive a ton and my capacity is <4qt. Someone with 6qt doing 1000 miles a week may have different motivations

I just follow the OLM in my 2020 Civic. The new Honda OLM accounts for short trips. If the trips are short the OLM will run down quicker.

If you are paranoid change it at 30% instead of 15%.

I like the Honda system, it keeps track of all maintenance, filters, transmission fluid, brake fluid, etc. Probably all new cars do but I find it really easy with Honda.

On my 2017 Honda Accord sport, I’ve never gone past 50% on the OLM. It’s usually around 5-6K miles at that point.

I’m tempted this oci to let it get down to around 15% just to see where it is at.

My commute is 15 miles to work, 15 miles back. Running around town is maybe 5-6 miles

Very interesting question since it has the new 2.0 l non-turbo engine. The Maint Minder system is smart so you could folow those intervals and I would suggest changing the filter every oil change. The MM looks at operating time, temperature, and other variables to adjust the oil change interval.

A lot of the internet wisdom on the CRV relates to the oil dilution issue that can impact the 1.5 Turbo engines so it may not pertain well to the 2.0 NA engine you have.

If you want to be extra, I would change it at 30 percent oil life left on Maint Minder and change the oil filter every time since that adds literally 5 minutes of work (after most time is spent removing the splash shield..).

We have a 21 CRV with the 1.5 Turbo and I am trying to change oil at 30 percent and oil filter every time, using Mobil 1 0w20 Extended Performance since the $3 less for none EP oil does not matter to me.

If you change oil ”early” be careful when resetting oil life to make sure you dont reset the other counters.

Back