Benefits of Ethanol-Free Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Interesting.

I can say with certainty that I purchase E0 from a Top Tier station, Sunoco; but from your link that rating only applies to the E10 fuels sold there.

Thanks for doing the homework.

Top Tier does not require that Top Tier fuels be E10. What it does require is that the fuel additive package meets the Top Tier specifications if the fuel contains up to 10% ethanol. To that end, E10 is specified for the Top Tier validation testing. Manufacturers do not use E10 for emission testing. They use E0.

Top Tier does require that all grades of gasoline sold at a Top Tier station meet Top Tier specifications and all stations of that brand in that nation must be Top Tier.

Ed

Originally Posted By: FZ1
15 to 20% better mpg with ethanol free.

On this forum don't say that out loud under your username. The flat-earthers will come tell you that's not possible. This is BITOG and you can't give real-world results without fearing horrible backlash!

But I have seen the same.

Finally have a station locally that is selling it, but they know what they have; its almost 20% more expensive.
With the amount I burn (not that much really) I think it is worth it for OPE. Ive had to replace several carburetors over the years. So I have started using it.

Originally Posted By: strongt
You would not find a Top Tier E-0 Fuel. As per toptiergas.com to meet the Top Tier spec, all Top Tier fuels must be E-10.

Contradicts this:

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Top Tier does not require that Top Tier fuels be E10. What it does require is that the fuel additive package meets the Top Tier specifications if the fuel contains up to 10% ethanol. To that end, E10 is specified for the Top Tier validation testing....

Definition of Top Tier here from above link:

4.3.1.2 Base Fuel. The base fuel shall conform to ASTM D 4814 and shall contain commercial fuel grade ethanol conforming to ASTM D 4806. All gasoline blend stocks used to formulate the base fuel shall be representative of normal U.S. refinery operations and shall be derived from conversion units downstream of distillation.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Top Tier does require that all grades of gasoline sold at a Top Tier station meet Top Tier specifications and all stations of that brand in that nation must be Top Tier.

This IS clearly stated in the Top Tier link provided earlier.

I will leave it to others to decide whether Top Tier can be E0 as Ed indicates.

FWIW, I do have confidence in my Sunoco E0 90-octane gasoline and I have not experienced any issues.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

On this forum don't say that out loud under your username. The flat-earthers will come tell you that's not possible. This is BITOG and you can't give real-world results without fearing horrible backlash!

Oro_O,

Sweet Jesus you like living life on the edge, don't you?

The edge of the earth that is ! Just be careful you don't fall off.

All I've used for the last 40 years is E10. I've have to replace the plastic fuel lines in the 2 cycle stuff every 5 years or so. Other than that no problem. And LOL at the 10-20% fuel use improvement. Both cars beat the EPA estimates by about 10-20% using E10.

Easy to make your own E0 if you want out of E10. Just buy a grade up in octane and then dope it with water. Ethanol and the water drop right out.

Texas heat & humidity exacerbates the E-10 problem.

Steel gas tanks in OPE all get turned into rusty gelatinous slimy varnishy goo if E-10 is allowed to reside more than 50-60 days. It's downright brutal. Plastic tanks are not so bad.

Folks up north don't have the problem so much; winter cold seems to kill the bad effects of E-10 in OPE.....
In Texas, we might get 60 months straight where the daytime highs NEVER get below 80*F.

The Waco area has one of 4 walmarts that have E-0, and it 30 cents higher.
It smells like AvGas.

Over the course of two years every piece of 2-cycle equipment I had gave up the ghost. This included 2 chain saws, 2 weed whackers, and one leaf blower. I took two pieces in to two separate shops for repair, and in both cases the diagnosis was "ethanol damage: not economical to repair." I now run all of the 2-cycle lawn toys on ethanol free True Fuel 40:1.

As for the for cycle stuff, I've yet to see a problem there. I treat that fuel with Stabil Marine formula.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
You will get better gas mileage. My question is whether or not you can find a Top Tier non-ethanol gasoline.

Shell stations in the Midwest have started to add a red pump to existing islands and dispensing Shell E0 90 octane with it.

Might keep your eyes open for it around you?

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

Thanks for the backup.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
All I've used for the last 40 years is E10. I've have to replace the plastic fuel lines in the 2 cycle stuff every 5 years or so. Other than that no problem. And LOL at the 10-20% fuel use improvement. Both cars beat the EPA estimates by about 10-20% using E10.

Easy to make your own E0 if you want out of E10. Just buy a grade up in octane and then dope it with water. Ethanol and the water drop right out.
The reason I know about the 15-20% improvement is I used to run the free pulling my bass boat on an identical route. The free became unavailable in Metro North Texas so I had to use the 10% ethanol on the same route so I know the mpg hit I took when switching from free to 10% ethanol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back