Storing car for winter, we only have E10, do I need a stabilizer?

I'm cold storing my GDI turbo car for the winter, I've done all the other stuff like tires, tender etc, but our gov recently switched to mandated E10 in all fuel so I can't get ethanol free anywhere.

I filled the tank with E10 shell 91 V power (highest ethanol here), do I need to use a fuel stabilizer? It will sit until likely late April early May.

I've seen some videos about stabilizers not actually doing anything, Stabil seemed to come out on top in those but I'm not really sure what to do here since I always just stored it with ethanol free.

I'm cold storing my GDI turbo car for the winter, I've done all the other stuff like tires, tender etc, but our gov recently switched to mandated E10 in all fuel so I can't get ethanol free anywhere.

I filled the tank with E10 shell 91 V power (highest ethanol here), do I need to use a fuel stabilizer? It will sit until likely late April early May.

I've seen some videos about stabilizers not actually doing anything, Stabil seemed to come out on top in those but I'm not really sure what to do here since I always just stored it with ethanol free.
If you plan on running it again to get a stabilizer thru the system, then yes.
If you plan on dumping it in and walking away for 5 months, then no.

If using stabilizer is the smart way to go here that's what I would do yes, run it for 10-15 minutes, top up fuel and store.

Should I use the stabilizer? What brand for E10?

I park mine for the winter with E10 91. Have for years and the only thing I do is make sure it's near full.

Should I use the stabilizer? What brand for E10?
I've used nothing but Sta-bil when storing my motorcycles with E10 and have not had any issues firing them up in the spring. The only time I did have an issue was when I didn't use it, on a carbureted bike that sat for 8 months. It's less important to use stabilizer on fuel injected engines, but I would still use it.

If you expect rodents could be a problem, I'd shove some steel wool in the intake and exhaust, or at least check your airbox in the spring.

I've used nothing but Sta-bil when storing my motorcycles with E10 and have not had any issues firing them up in the spring. The only time I did have an issue was when I didn't use it, on a carbureted bike that sat for 8 months. It's less important to use stabilizer on fuel injected engines, but I would still use it.

If you expect rodents could be a problem, I'd shove some steel wool in the intake and exhaust, or at least check your airbox in the spring.
So I'm probably safe for the 5-6 months even without a stabilizer but it will add a safety net basically?

I put dryer sheets in area to stop rodents but they aren't really an issue since it gets to -40c here, anything vermin outside basically dies.
I park mine for the winter with E10 91. Have for years and the only thing I do is make sure it's near full.
Yeah it's basically at full, put 70$ in before parking. I'm iffy about stabilizers due to the bad things I've seen in some YouTube tests but I'm not sure how that scales to a full tank of fuel in a closed system of a modern car.

Realistically it is only 5-6 months.

Fill it ALL the way up so there is less room for moisture. There are a few stabilizers out there that work, some better than others. Are you near an airport, if so seek out MO gas it's ethanol free.

Fill it ALL the way up so there is less room for moisture. There are a few stabilizers out there that work, some better than others. Are you near an airport, if so seek out MO gas it's ethanol free.
There's an airport across the river from me but I'm not sure they will sell fuel to consumers for non plane use. I.e Jerry cans or cars

There's an airport across the river from me but I'm not sure they will sell fuel to consumers for non plane use. I.e Jerry cans or cars
Definitely. As long as you don't try to fill your vehicle at their pump. I get two gallons of 100LL and mix 2 stroke oil for my trimmer. Never an issue. Now that my local airport has mogas I can start using that.

I always store with a full tank of E10 and the recommended dose of stabil. Car always fires up like I drove it yesterday. Stored from Thanksgiving to April.

I've apparently found a station that claims to have E0 but my tuner answered me and said E10 stores longer than E0 so now I'm conflicted if it's worth using up the full tank of E10 to fill up with the "E0" for storage, taking the station at it's word that is still using E0 despite the law change.

Worth it or just throw some Stabil in the E10 and stop worrying?

Throw the Stabil in. I use the junky pink stuff in my carbureted plow truck and it does fine.

My small engines have a rough time with E10 in storage, I think it's the temperature swings and unsealed system that lets moisture in. Turns gas in to green crystals. But my 85 W250 with crude EVAP system does ok.

Throw the Stabil in. I use the junky pink stuff in my carbureted plow truck and it does fine.

My small engines have a rough time with E10 in storage, I think it's the temperature swings and unsealed system that lets moisture in. Turns gas in to green crystals. But my 85 W250 with crude EVAP system does ok.
Yeah that's a big thing, since it gets below 0c here and drops to -20/50 all winter there's very little actual moisture in the air which leads me to think I'm overthinking it

I'd use StarTron which is what I've been using and never had an issue unlike Stabil which isn't for ethanol unless you get their marine version. I don't know if that holds true today but the way it used to be.

You should not need to use addition additives for 5 -6 month storage. Ethanol has been in my gas since the early 70s and the fuel now has way better additives. Premium gas is good up to a year maybe longer. Used 2 year old plus gas in a gas can out of sons projects with no problems.

You should not need to use addition additives for 5 -6 month storage. Ethanol has been in my gas since the early 70s and the fuel now has way better additives. Premium gas is good up to a year maybe longer. Used 2 year old plus gas in a gas can out of sons projects with no problems.
I don't know if I agree with all that but in my motorcycle I let it sit for only 2 weeks and had issues with water separation and happened on two different occasions so anymore I try to run non ethanol when I can and treat it accordingly.

Both times the bike started fine and was idling but then shutoff when the water reached the injectors. I now use either Star Tron or Seafoam and haven't had any issues since. I figured that I was purchasing a fuel injected bike that I won't have any problems with ethanol but I was wrong, the manual states I can run 10% but honestly it's just not worth the hassle.

Back