Because I Can Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who is interested (SR5) I thought I'd give an updated tally on my stash, which I'm pleased to inform you is now all straight 30wt.

17 qts SJ Kendall GT-1 30wt
12 qts early SN Quaker State 30wt
12 qts SJ Castrol Heavy Duty 30wt
24 qts CF/SJ Mobil Delvac 1230 30wt
2 gallons CD/SJ Kendall Super D-3 30wt

Originally Posted By: Red91
Is it attitude, or do I perhaps just really not care? Why do you post in a straight 30wt thread?

Give me some time and I'll dig up the links members Shannow and BrocLuno have posted showing significantly less bearing and upper cylinder wear when testing SAE 30 vs multigrades.
If you don't care, and aren't open for discussion, why post it in the first place?

Interesting posts, when I get more time I'll go further through them.

I didn't mean to be snappy with you. For fairness sake, the links I posted are for the most part decades old. Nonetheless I find them interesting and still relevant even today.

The biggest reason I seek out nineties vintage oil for my nineties vintage car is because it's something to do that takes my mind off my depression. I choose only straight 30wt because I really admire the simple yet hard to beat architecture of the oil, plus it's antiwear and thermal stability attributes.

I didn't mean to be snappy with you. For fairness sake, the links I posted are for the most part decades old. Nonetheless I find them interesting and still relevant even today.

The biggest reason I seek out nineties vintage oil for my nineties vintage car is because it's something to do that takes my mind off my depression. I choose only straight 30wt because I really admire the simple yet hard to beat architecture of the oil, plus it's antiwear and thermal stability attributes.

Red91: my pops told me that for years he used SAE 40 in diesels without issues. He uses DELO air EMBLEM made in Bradford PA

Thanks for the info and pics
smile.gif

We still use SAE 40 in marine environments. Just recently have they decided to go to a 15-40 in our Caterpillar and Cummins engines. Still 40 weight in all the DDs and EMDs

For anyone who is interested (SR5) I thought I'd give an updated tally on my stash, which I'm pleased to inform you is now all straight 30wt.

17 qts SJ Kendall GT-1 30wt
12 qts early SN Quaker State 30wt
12 qts SJ Castrol Heavy Duty 30wt
24 qts CF/SJ Mobil Delvac 1230 30wt
2 gallons CD/SJ Kendall Super D-3 30wt

Hi Red91,
Thanks for the list, yes I am interested. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, it's been a very busy week at work.

I like the look of that Castrol SAE 30 Heavy Duty (SJ), we don't get that here. We do get Castrol RX Mono 30 (SG).

Let us know how they go.

I've just noticed that in my owners handbook, for my motorcycle, SAE 30 is recommended from zero to 30 C, that's right in my range. That's a couple of years away, unless I use my 20W-50 in something else.

I have decided to use the Delvac after I use up the Kendall. The Quaker State and Castrol will be used in other applications. I will keep you updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back