Baldwin B1400 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by blufeb95
The burst pressure is not specified, but the max operating pressure is specified on Baldwin's website B40034

The burst pressure will be at least 1.5 times ... so burst pressure is probably 150-200 psi. Send them an email and ask why they show such a low "maxiumum operating pressure".

So I sent them an email asking why the rating was so low and if they had a rated burst pressure and a "Service Engineer" from Parker-Hannifin sent me a reply saying "The micron rating of the BT40034 is 23 nominal and 45 absolute."

Originally Posted by blufeb95
So I sent them an email asking why the rating was so low and if they had a rated burst pressure and a "Service Engineer" from Parker-Hannifin sent me a reply saying "The micron rating of the BT40034 is 23 nominal and 45 absolute."

He obviously didn't answer your question, probably didn't even knew what you were talking about.

45 microns absolute efficiency isn't very good, as it means 98% at 45 microns.

All the B14XX seem to use the same media "L70-45" I was trying to decode what that meant, maybe it means something like it only allows 1 in 70 particles through at 45 microns which would be like 98.5% efficiency. I found a website, B1400 Cross Reference here that seems to have part of a datasheet for the B1400 and B1402 and they only report Beta2/50% efficiency at 20 microns, aren't even the cheapest Fram filters even Beta20/95% at 20microns.

My take fwiw on Baldwin filters based on anecdotes and information posted this subforum, a well made filter not noted for being especially efficient. Most use nitrile adbv. Information on the B1402 efficiency via email to a member same as posted, 98.7@45um, 50@23um. burst psi 265. In more decades of diy oc than I care to admit, burst never been a factor.

Old line American company, that's why a lot of people like them. The thick media is nice. Hastings made a depth filter, and later sort of a spoke type element that was supposed to be depth filtering. Wonder if anyone has cut those open here.

Can buy these easily through Zoro and Grainger, not that expensive.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Looks awesome, thanks kstanf! Yes, it's an M20x1.5, so it fits a majority of what comes out of Japan (this size fits most Hondas, Subarus, Garak's G37, Nissans, etc). B1400 is the smallest of the trio, with B1402 and B1431 being the taller siblings; B1431 is a PH3600 size equivalent with metric threads. The Outbacks and Foresters have enough clearance and height to run them, but I highly doubt it will fit my Impreza without resting against the exhaust heat shields AND hanging low enough to catch road debris. Pass.
smile.gif

As 53' Stude has said, there's a reason his dad just sticks with Baldwin. That filter looks solid with a capital bedrock, nitrile adbv notwithstanding. Thanks again for the C&P!

Your very welcome ðŸ‘
I'd like to find a Hastings brand to compare to the Baldwin
to see if the internals are the same.

Should be identical filter media & spring inside only the outside color of the can I would think is different, kinda like Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back