2024 Outback(2.4L)

I just got my new '24 Outback(2.4L) and I would like to change the oil filter out. Problem is I don't see a Fram Ultra or any oil filter for my 2024(even checked Baldwin). I have 300 miles on this car and would like to cut the filter open but can't till I find a filter to put back on, any help would be appreciated.

Rod
p.s. I have always cut the oil filter open after 300 to 500 miles on new engines.

Sounds like you'll have to go OEM. Or check with the dealer to see if the 2023 takes the same filter, then go look for an aftermarket filter for a 2023 if they don't yet show a 2024 in their look-up tool.

The engine is the same as the 2022 and 2023 models. It should be the XG7317. Just double check that it isn't much taller than the OEM filter or you could have clearance issues with the hood insulation.

The BRZ with the same engine uses the shorter XG9688, probably due to the tight clearance between the oil filter and the hood. It should also work, but it has less filter media. The XG3593A should work as well.

I just got my new '24 Outback(2.4L) and I would like to change the oil filter out. Problem is I don't see a Fram Ultra or any oil filter for my 2024(even checked Baldwin). I have 300 miles on this car and would like to cut the filter open but can't till I find a filter to put back on, any help would be appreciated.

Rod
p.s. I have always cut the oil filter open after 300 to 500 miles on new engines.
Is it a black tokyo roki? I would only run that OEM filter. Not happy with Fram in this application.
I would absolutely leave that thing be for at least 1500 mi. Then do the OC and change the filter.

Do manufactures deny warranty claims if non-oem products are used?
Only if they can prove the non-OEM part failed, or caused something else to fail or caused the damage. Then they will tell you to make a claim against the aftermarket part warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act does not make the factory warranty cover the failure or damaged caused by non-OEM parts. All it does is ensure a manufacturer can't deny the whole vehicle's warranty because a non-OEM part was used some place on rhe vehicle.

Only if they can prove the non-OEM part failed, or caused something else to fail or caused the damage. Then they will tell you to make a claim against the aftermarket part warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act does not make the factory warranty cover the failure or damaged caused by non-OEM parts. All it does is ensure a manufacturer can't deny the whole vehicle's warranty because a non-OEM part was used some place on rhe vehicle.

Sorry, I suppose my question was more rhetorical in nature. Curious what was meant by "warranty purposes" from my original quote.

Sorry, I suppose my question was more rhetorical in nature. Curious what was meant by "warranty purposes" from my original quote.
You asked a specific question, and got a specific response. But if you are referring to Jdeere562's comment about "warranty purposes", I'd say he wants to ensure that if the oil filter fails and causes damage then his factory warranty will take care of it and won't have to go after the aftermarket maker to claim any damages caused by the aftermarket filter. It rarely happens, but it can happen.

Last edited:
You asked a specific question, and got a specific response. But if you are referring to Jdeere562's comment about "warranty purposes", I'd say he wants to ensure that if the oil filter fails and causes damage then his factory warranty will take care of it and won't have to go after the aftermarket maker to claim any damages caused by the aftermarket filter. It rarely happens, but it can happen.

That's a good point and may be worth going OEM during warranty even if it's a few dollars more.

Last edited:
Is it a black tokyo roki? I would only run that OEM filter. Not happy with Fram in this application.
I would absolutely leave that thing be for at least 1500 mi. Then do the OC and change the filter.
Yes it is the black Roki, p/n 15208AA20A.
I found it funny that when I picked up the Outback I checked the oil and it was 1/2 to 3/4 of a Qt over full from the factory(picked up the car with 8 miles on it), the service department told me that's the way they come from the factory.

Rod

Yes it is the black Roki, p/n 15208AA20A.
I found it funny that when I picked up the Outback I checked the oil and it was 1/2 to 3/4 of a Qt over full from the factory(picked up the car with 8 miles on it), the service department told me that's the way they come from the factory.

Rod
Subaru are notoriously hard to read, slight tilt left or right will have it reading 1/4 - 1/2 qt over or under. Owend I think nine subaru through the years, from a 3 banger Justy to a hi po V6 SVX,

Just a had a new '22 outback base but it went back for a trade, Wife didn't like the screen HVAC controls, and there was a rear suspension geometry problem where it chewed all the way through the inside first inch of both rear tires in 20k miles. Thought it was a rear wheel bearing, dealer service wouldnt give us a break. Good gas mileage, smooth ride. Not much back seat room though. The base car seats ar ppretty bad. I am sure the up trim wones are better. I loved my (bought used) 2011 premium O.B. with a 6 speed stick and leather and sunroof.. I thought that was their best effort.

Rod

Why would you think that the oil filter is something other than a Fram 7317 series equivalent? 🤔

I just buy Toyotas, I never worry about warranty.
I had a new Toyota with an exhaust leak into the cabin. Got written authorisation from Customer care, Dealer wouldn't fix it even though there is a TSB for exhaust leaks.

Car also had very soft brake pedal - they wouldnt address that.

They did fix a bad wheel bearing in the first two months.

So I guess the service Dept doesn't worry about warranty either :)

Maybe "one and buddy your done"

Oh! What a feeling !

Happy Holiday!

You have the same engine as the 2023 model. Some options, all with the correct bypass rating for a Subaru engine, include:
  • WIX 57055
  • NAPA Gold 7055 or ProFormer 27055
  • MicroGard MSL57055 or MGL57055
  • Purolator 16415 variants
The Tokyo Roki filters at the dealer are quite well constructed but appear to have mediocre efficiency. I'm sure they are more than good enough as lubrication related failures on Subaru engines are basically unheard of as long as they aren't run out of oil and are kept at a reasonable oil change interval.

I am not a fan of First Brands (FRAM/Champ) in this application since they don't bother making a filter with the OE spec bypass valve. There are too many other choices on the market with the correct specs. If competitors such as MANN+HUMMEL and Premium Guard can be bothered to make a filter that meets OE specs, so can First Brands. They just choose not to, which is rather odd considering that FRAM made filters for Subaru up until the last year when they switched suppliers for the US market.

I had a new Toyota with an exhaust leak into the cabin. Got written authorisation from Customer care, Dealer wouldn't fix it even though there is a TSB for exhaust leaks.

Car also had very soft brake pedal - they wouldnt address that.

They did fix a bad wheel bearing in the first two months.

So I guess the service Dept doesn't worry about warranty either :)

Maybe "one and buddy your done"

Oh! What a feeling !

Happy Holiday!
Sorry to hear that. Out of the 4 Land Cruisers I have owned, I never needed nor has my current one had any issues, guess I’m lucky.

Sorry to hear that. Out of the 4 Land Cruisers I have owned, I never needed nor has my current one had any issues, guess I’m lucky.
Guess there is a bit of a difference between a LandCruiser and a bottom of the barrel 2006 Yaris three door with a stick. Who would have thunk ? :)

Asian Landy designed to get the Royals safely and reliably away from the charging Rhinoceros, Jim! :)

Back