"bag rage" in OZ markets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the sea turtles come back to your town ?
Do the clouds form a great big "thumbs up" every sunset congratulating you ?

My point is, conforming to the ban is not life alteringly annoying, regardless of any consequences thereof, good or bad or inconsequential, to the environment.

There is no choice in the matter anyway.

Am I going to drive to the next town over just for a free plastic bag?

The choices are: deal with it, or complain, and still have to deal with it.

Most of the plastic bags I remove from ocean or beach, and stuff in my wetsuit for later disposal, have Japanese writing on them anyway.

FACT #1 - About 8 million metric tons of plastic are thrown into the ocean annually[1]. Of those, 236,000 tons are microplastics[2] – tiny pieces of broken-down plastic smaller than your little fingernail

FACT #2 - There are five massive patches of plastic in the oceans around the world. These huge concentrations of plastic debris cover large swaths of the ocean; the one between California and Hawaii is the size of the state of Texas[3]

FACT #3 - Every minute, one garbage truck of plastic is dumped into our oceans[4]

FACT #4 - The amount of plastic in the ocean is set to increase tenfold by 2020[5]

FACT #5 - By 2050 there will be more plastic in the oceans than there are fish (by weight)[6]

FACT #6 - Plastic is found in the ocean as far as 11km deep, meaning synthetic fibers have contaminated even the most remote places on Earth[7]

FACT #7 - Many marine organisms can’t distinguish common plastic items from food. Animals who eat plastic often starve because they can’t digest the plastic and it fills their stomachs, preventing them from eating real food[8]

FACT #8 - The likelihood of coral becoming diseased increases from 4% to 89% after coming in contact with marine plastic. It also damages the skin of coral, allowing infection[9]. Coral reefs are home to more than 25% of marine life.[10]

FACT #9 - There is more plastic than natural prey at the sea surface of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, which means that organisms feeding at this area are likely to have plastic as a major component of their diets. For instance, sea turtles by-caught in fisheries operating within and around the patch can have up to 74% (by dry weight) of their diets composed of ocean plastics.[11]

FACT #10 - Many fish humans consume, including brown trout, cisco, and perch, have at one time or another, ingested plastic microfibers.[12]

Originally Posted By: Shannow
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4793507/Re:_Oz_Planstic_Bag_Bans_-_not

From Silk's thread on cotton bags...

My "single use" bags brought the groceries home.
Then packed my lunch for work

Then either collected the use kitty litter; or
Lined the kitchen bin/tidy to gather the junk before going into the bin.

"single use"...used three times.

Now I need to buy bags to put the kitty litter in, or line the kitchen tidy.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/envir...15bcb71e20c708f

Quote:
A 2009 report produced for Woolworths by researchers at RMIT calculated the environmental impact of single use carrier bags versus their reusable counterparts.
The classic supermarket bag, the type being banned, is made from high density polyethylene (HDPE). Compared to other bags it’s not that great environmentally — but it certainly doesn’t have the worst impact.
On measures such as its contribution to global warming and water usage, it actually scores well. In landfill they compress and so take up very little space. But it falls down on energy consumption and the effect on marine life.
Other research has said light density polyethylene (LDPE) bags, the thicker type available for a few cents at the supermarket, are generally worse than their thinner counterparts.
So called “green bags” made from polypropylene (PP), use fewer materials but produce a lot of waste, but overall they are better than HDPE bags.

Quote:
However, “single-use” plastic bags aren’t really used once at all.
“Most shopping bags are used twice because people take them home and use them as rubbish bags or for picking up dog poop and that further reduces their environmental impact,” said Dr Thornton.
Every time an HDPE bag is reused, the environmental hurdle other bags have to jump over to better them increases. Paper bags, which aren’t all that strong, have to be used six times; green bags 20+ times and a cotton bag more than 260 times.
If you use a plastic bag to carry your shopping home, take your lunch to work and then pick up your pet’s waste then, according to Woolies figures at least, you might have to use your green bag hundreds of times for it to be truly green in comparison.

And YES, now that they've got that win under their belt, they didn't even have time to take a breath before announcing drinking straws are their next target.

As I mentioned above, Seattle just banned plastic straws and I just read that the new ordinance bans all plastic utensils as well. Take out food should get interesting.

Chris142 seems to be saying there are more feral bags now that you have to pay for them. Doesn't make sense. I'd have no problem with them outlawed, we'd find something else to put the dog poop in or teach the dog to use the toilet (for something other than a water dish).

Takes a special mindset to ban bags, eh?
laugh.gif

https://globalnews.ca/news/4310799/al-shabab-plastic-ban-somalia-al-qaeda/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back